I want to read something by Martin Heidegger because I'd like to get into philosophy and plus he's natsoc...

I want to read something by Martin Heidegger because I'd like to get into philosophy and plus he's natsoc. What should I start with? Are there any works I should read before his?

Apologies if I sound like a /pol/tard, I did ask this on the containment board originally but didn't get any (You)s.

You should start with killing yourself.

If you want to understand his philosophy start with metaphysics then being and time (I hope you've read the greeks, kant, hegel, and nietzsche, otherwise you're mentally masturbating). If you just want to read his natsoc stuff get his black notebooks

Being and Time, 1927

>I hope you've read the greeks, kant, hegel, and nietzsche
I haven't. Do you have a basic reading list?

If the reason you want to read Heidegger is because he's a "Nazi philosopher," you're going to be disappointed because a) his philosophy has nothing to do with nazism, and b) you're too dumb to understand it anyway.

Im mostly just kidding but also not really. You can surely understand Heidegger without having gone through the whole of western philosophy but his main project was readjusting and forging a new direction for a philosophy, which he felt had been obscured since Aristotle (with the central task of philosophy in his opinion being: defining a meaning for "Being"). So you can mainline Heidegger by starting with metaphysics and then BT, or you can spend several years studying philosophy by reading primary sources and their commentaries. Pic related is a good start

I wouldn't say I'm dumb. I am ignorant though. If you could help with this question I'd greatly appreciate it

FPBP

I don't think I have time for all of that but I suppose I ought to read a few of the most important works

1. Platos complete works. Dont need to read everything but read most of them
2. Aristotle's metaphysics
3. Descartes Meditations
4. Hume enquiry concerning human understanding
5. Kant Critique of Pure Reason + Prolegomena
6. Cambridge companion to Kant
7. Hegel Phenomenology of Spirit + whatever commentary suits you. (Hegels Ladder is like 2000 pages but industry standard)
8. Works of Nietzsche
9. Heidegger

Not needed to be read in chronological order but make sure you start with either Descartes or Plato and read hume before kant and Kant before hegel

Many thanks to both of you

You should start by learning german, can't read Heidegger properly in english.

Are you serious about that? I have done most of a duolinguo course in German but I can barely carry a conversation so I doubt I'd manage Heidegger

You won't find anything remotely linked to Hitler or his ideologies in his work. His ethics are hard to distill from Sein und Zeit, let alone that you could find any nazi sympathetic thoughts. If you know nothing about philosophy, and I have a feeling you don't, you won't understand shit because it is a very reflexive science - c.q. build on all that came before it.

Also neck yourself, you fucking edgelord.

He makes up a lot of terms, or makes unusual use of words, so translating properly is a pain.
You can get different meaning from the same sentence translated by different people.

>If you know nothing about philosophy, and I have a feeling you don't
I don't. A kind user gave me a list of all the definitive works so I'll get through some of that before I start on Heidegger

I am nearly fluent in German and you are right, but it is a ridiculous requirement to state as necessity. I mean I feel I understand the Greeks decently and my Greek is abysmal. Also I can't read or write French for shit but I have studied Voltaire, Camus, Descartes and others.

It's true that it is way better to read it in the original language, especially for philosophy, but you just can't state that as a prerequisite.

The greeks have this too to a lesser extend.
Wisdom, virtue, love, those words act differently in old greek. There are multiple words that are translated in that way, and they have different meanings, and modern languages just don't have terms for these meanings.

Even translating Socrates/Plato's building blocks as "patterns' or "ideas" or "forms" takes away from his philosophy. And thats the cornerstone of it!

I know mate, that's why I was in agreement. It's just that you can't expect any- and everyone to learn that impossible fucking language before they start reading the classics. And because it's a dead one it's even more difficult.

I actually had a (literal) faggot in my course who took the first class to utter his disappointment with the fact that we would be reading Aristotle in English and my native language - as per individual preference - rather than in Greek. Now I have as much disdain for plebs as anyone else but voicing such a ridiculous complaint and actively expecting everyone to be impressed was one of the more cringeworthy things I've seen at uni.

I mean it is true about our lack of surrogates for ancient Greek terminology but I sure as shit am not going to spend my free time diving into that when I am a medicine major. If you're doing a PHD on Plato I can understand it but it's just too much hassle.

Heidegger said that his students should dedicate ten years of their lives studying just Aristotle before taking up his philosophy. Hyperbole? Maybe. But then again, maybe no. He was a German you know.

I'm in the STEM meme so I don't really know what it looks like, but here philosophy undergards have to take Ancient Greek, French and German in the first year IIRC.