Why doesn't anyone speak Latin anymore? It's such a beautiful language

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_enn7NIo-S0
youtube.com/watch?v=Q_jnHuiB_5M
youtube.com/watch?v=MOvVWiDsPWQ&
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

vatican 2?

people never stopped speaking Latin the language just changed

Both my parents took Latin in highschool, but they could only speak it in the sense they memorized prayers and could translate in the same way modern Americans can translate their books in high school Spanish

Salve amici

Apellebo anonus magnus

nigger

>tfw Latin isn't taught in American high schools anymore
Feels bad man. Now it's just French, German and of course Spanish.

Because we don't know what latin sounds like really...

/thread

Does it help me make money?

It'll make you look smart around friends and other people.

But wouldn't learning Mandarin accomplish the same thing, and be more relevant to the modern world?

Probably. Although learning Latin would probably be easier for an English speaker just because there's more of a connection then with Mandarin.

My American highschool had a University Classics Professor teaching Latin. It was the most fun I've ever had at academia.

Would you rather read some rice-eater's ramblings or the greatest minds of Western Civilization?

terrible post

Eat your puppies Chung Lao

Not really, Mandarin doesn't have the same aura as Latin

>aura mattering more than use

Ancient Greek is better to be honest. Even the Romans preferred it.
>tfw you see a perfect passive conjugation
>it's a single word

>It's such a beautiful language
Modern latin is, Roman latin sounds like guttural shit

weeni weedi weechi

/w/ for V is very ugly, yes, but it makes sense since it's just the consonantal counterpart of its usage as a vowel.

People didn't stop speaking it it just evolved into French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Romanian, etc.

It evolved in a series of different languages, the so called romance languages. The Catholic Church (dunno about Orthodox but they probably don't) still uses Latin for its laws and as an internal lingua franca.
Until a few decades ago normal people could come in contact with Latin going to mass, then when Latin mass was scrapped in favour of localized versions only certain kinds of high school remained teaching Latin. My high school Latin teacher could fluently converse in Latinwith her daughter, but they were an exceptional case (the daughter was autistic and the mother really dedicated). Nowadays the Latin of our forefathers is, sadly, a dying language.

If you really want to hear the closest thing to Latin today, take a trip to Sardinia.

>It's such a beautiful language

Until you realise how it was actually pronounced and realise you sound like an drooling retard.

salvete mate, plural

Romans always pronounced C as K

There's no real consensus on the pronunciation though

Yeah there is.

Except there is?

No. There are two different ones and either of them is actually close to the real thing. Church Latin is thought to be based on medieval vulgar Latin but retains more ancient elements. Classical neo Latin is based on the German school of Latin pronunciation. The debate is far from closed.

>people never stopped speaking Latin
Except they did.Linguistically speaking, the language is dead. You are thinking of the Romance languages. Italian, Romanian, Spanish, French etc. Those are not Latin.

Can you tell me when exactly they stopped speaking Latin and started speaking Romance languages

It's not dead

It probably has more speakers compared to Esperanto

I knew a really pretty chick in high school who could speak the language fluently

I remember she said she had Romanian grand-parents

"To some scholars, this suggests the form of Vulgar Latin that evolved into the Romance languages was around during the time of the Roman Empire (from the end of the first century BC), and was spoken alongside the written Classical Latin which was reserved for official and formal occasions. Other scholars argue that the distinctions are more rightly viewed as indicative of sociolinguistic and register differences normally found within any language. Both were mutually intelligible as one and the same language, which was true until the second half of the 7th century. However, within two hundred years Latin became a dead language since "the Romanized people of Europe could no longer understand texts that were read aloud or recited to them,"[8] i.e. Latin had ceased to be a first language and became a foreign language that had to be learned."
I mean dead as in it didn't see significant continuous use from when it first appeared to today.

Depends on the high school man. Mine still has it, and I only graduated relatively recently.

I don't like spoken Latin very much, I think it's much better as a written tongue. Maybe it's because of how I experienced it mainly through books/prayers/science, but it doesn't seem fit for everyday use.

Nowadays there are some groups of Latin fans who gather every year or so and spend a couple of days speaking Latin only.

Weenie willy wanky.

I came, I saw, I came again.

Literally the only difference between Italian and Latin is words ending in "I" and "o" instead of "us" and "um" and a few other tweaks. I seem to recall reading that informal vernacular Latin did something similar.

>literally the only difference between Italian and Latin is words ending in "I" and "o" instead of "us" and "um" and a few other tweaks

And the 10 other forms a noun could take in Latin are gone in Italian

t. doesn't know Latin

What American high schools are you talking about? I graduated in 2005 and we had Latin at my high school.

What in the actual fuck are you talking about?

The Latin roots of much of Italian's vocabulary are pretty transparent, but grammatically -- no. It's much closer to the other modern Romance languages than to Latin, and that's immediately apparent to anyone with even superficial knowledge of the two languages.

>what is grammar
There was a massive overhaul in the verb conjugation. Passive is gone, most subjunctive forms are gone, perfect is gone, etc. The noun cases have totally disappeared too.

Italian has more superficial etymological similarities with latin than anything else. Romanian is closer to latin than the Italian dialects.

I met a guy earlier who spoke Latin pretty fluently. It was very impressive. Plus he knows English, Swedish, Russian and a few more.

how the fuck do you speak Latin fluently? who do you practice with?

Languages of Western Civilization:
Ancient Greek
Latin
English
French
Italian
German

Spanish is obviously the successor of latin.

>Roman latin sounds like guttural shit
I don't think you know what guttural means. There was nothing guttural about Latin.

>I remember she said she had Romanian grand-parents

Sardinian is the closest you can get, their isolation preserved many features of latin that languages such as italian or spanish lost

im sorry, for your iuncultured upbringing, philestine.

>Passive is gone, most subjunctive forms are gone, perfect is gone, etc. The noun cases have totally disappeared too.
ITT: things that never happened.

Not that guy, but noun cases are not a thing in Italian

>iuncultured philestine
Why even live.

glad to see we all agree Italian is the successor of Latin

Noun cases have mostly but not totally disappeared.

Limited vocabulary and unsuitability for expressing nuanced thought.

Sounds fucking majestic, though.

>It probably has more speakers compared to Esperanto

That's setting the bar pretty low.

So does Klingon.

It really is, amicus meus.

What on earth are you talking about? There's nothing guttural about it.

Tu est animici meum.

Lmao at this pleb trying to write Latin hahahahhaha

>Animici
Lmao

I can speak hillbilly Latin (spanish and french) am I patrician yet

tlhIngan Hol jatlhwI'pu' law' latin Hol jatlhwI'pu' puS!

can you say exactly when you stopped being a child and became an adult

>Tu est
HAHAHHAHAHAHHA
LOL
O
L

Well correct me you guys. GEEZ. Don't just gawk. Wasn't the point of the thread that people should speak Latin? So? Teach me some Latin!

Perception is power

>tfw you try to act all smart on the internet and it backfires

Italians does not have a conjugated passive or perfect. They're done using auxiliary verbs now. Latin also had subjunctive for more tenses than Italian.

Not trying to act smart. I'm trying to seize a rare opportunity to use my high school Latin.

You're projecting what would be your motivations on me.

>La pizza รจ mangiata da Mario.
Mangiata is a perfect passive in that sentence.

Just because a conjugated perfect passive is used with an auxiliary verb doesn't mean it is not a conjugated perfect passive.

The loss of the conjugated forms is a large change in grammar between classical Latin and Italian, which was the entire point of the response to But you're right that I should have specified what I was talking about more clearly.

>The loss of the conjugated forms is a large change in grammar between classical Latin and Italian
Except conjugated forms have not completely disappeared. You should've said conjugation has largely disappeared and left it at that.

I didn't say all conjugated forms have disappeared. I said that the Latin perfect tense, passive voice, and most of the subjunctive disappeared. You're grasping at straws here.

See
>loss of the conjugated forms

See also
>Passive is gone
>perfect is gone

All of which are wrong.

So is
>The noun cases have totally disappeared too.
Again completely wrong, things which were demonstrated to you in this very thread.

youtube.com/watch?v=_enn7NIo-S0

>Again completely wrong, things which were demonstrated to you in this very thread.
Where?

this is accurate

So basically just a dumbed down version of Latin. Got it.

Ancient Greek is better tbqhwyf.

youtube.com/watch?v=Q_jnHuiB_5M

Greek is such a patrician sounding language

Why doesn't anyone speak Anglo-Saxon or Sanskrit? Languages change over time and develop into new languages.

Agreed.

youtube.com/watch?v=MOvVWiDsPWQ&

the main difference between orthodox and catholic is language, orthodox uses greek

Why does it sound like fucking Polish

It doesn't sound like Polish. It sounds like old Greek.

it doesnt

tu est is unnecessary just say es (sum, es, est, etc.)

kek that's what I thought.

es being the second person implies the you

It evolved into Italian.

This sounds alooot like Swedish

Fuck off reddit

Because u r gay

Exactly his point