Are they worth it? Or are they overpriced trash

Are they worth it? Or are they overpriced trash.

>2017
>paying for media

of course they are. Just go to the library and read a book.

Or better yet, crash a bachelor course in history in some university.

I found some torrents, but sadly I cant seem to find the newer stuff

they can go for cheap as free if you have audible.I find them bretty gud. Im a fan of the early mid and late middle ages lectures.

They're great when pirated.

I suppose a subscription service would be worth it if they ever made one, few bucks a month for unlimited access to their library. But I'd never pay even a fraction of the price they currently ask for them.

They are really well done

They're overpriced as fuck, but I've got 4 lecture series under my belt so far. Anything by Kenneth Harl is god tier

Best Course Found in this book.

Best $20 bucks you'll ever spend in your life. Promise.

>Just go to the library and read a book.
I hate this kind of answer. Maybe I want to listen to a lecture during my commute to work back and forth, you fucking dickhead. Can't read while driving.

>crash a bachelor course in history in some university

is this legal

I don't believe it is completely legal, but you are essentially paying for the grade and credentials. Ive sat in courses that I never signed up for and paid. This is for humanities mind you, sciences are maybe a bit different with their rules.

Obligatory

Favourite TTC courses or lecturers?

Currently doing High Middle Ages at the moment. Enjoying the broad scope after doing a couple of Kenneth Harl's courses (he's fantastically detail oriented).

Out of the other Veeky Forums courses I've listened to so far, Jeremy McInerny's Greek and Macedonian empire courses were great (Vandiver's Classical Mythology one is also worth a shout).

the egypt one with bob brier

For me:
Alexander and the Macedonian Empire > Era of the Crusades > Rome and the Barbarians > Rise and Fall of the British Empire

Kenneth Harl is so good. I even managed to predict his weird quirks (all The uhms and Ahs, plus calling people's parents "mom")

I'm thinking of doing the World of Byzantium or the Barbarians of the Steppes, are those ones pretty good?

If it's in a lecture hall, nobody will give a shit unless they pass around a seating chart.

Even if the professor calls roll, they won't even notice you not saying anything if there's 100+ students.

Taught college physics when I was in grad school, didn't care if people sat in. In fact I'd probably be more than happy for it, people learning for the sake of learning is fantastic by my book.

The only exception is that if I know you're just auditing the class you shouldn't answer questions or interrupt class with questions (by all means you can come after), the ones who are "paying for the privilege" should get priority status when it comes to class participation time. Though that's more a policy I inherited and agreed to than something I'd likely have come up with on my own.

You're right. I guess I only considered the message, not the medium.

They can only ask you to leave, which wont happen unless you're following very specific courses with only a dozen of people or you're doing a lab course and wasting University money.

Depending on where you live, some universities allow you to enlist for one course for rather cheap. Allowing you to use their facilities/library.

Problem is if you're working you can only do the evening courses. I guess the audio courses are a solution here.

There's a torrent on piratebay with over a hundred of them

>all lecture halls are factory-sized
Here, they're 75 students at most and that's just for the STEMspergs.

Kenneth Harl ftw

Check out Peter mieneck's lectures on greek and roman myth. Every once in a while he will annoying reference Freud, other than that they are excellent lectures.

kinda sorta enjoying Plato's Republic - the /quality/ is awesome, Plato's ideas, 1/4th the way through, are weird. I hope it gets better. Cheap at $30 if it improves.

freud's myth interpretation is cool desu baka

In my country it's completely legal to lurk in lectures. The only thing that can happen is things getting awkward if the professor decides to the students something and you're the one who's asked.

I torrented the Roman and Egyptian courses and they were awesome. The Egyptian course even has an episode where he talks about WE WUZism

They are public in my cunt. We have a lot of public visiting lectures on new laws all the time

after reading the wikipedia page im gonna have to give this one a hard no

as far as I know, the only thing they can do is single you out (if the professor even cared enough to learn all the faces in his multiple classes with 30+ students) and ask you to leave

I found this professor that taught byzantine history and lurked in his classes whenever I had time-- he had taught for 30 years and had lecturing down to an artform. it was almost therapeutic to just sit back and listen to him weave an entire informative story about history in such a short period of time.

Thanks for the rec. I've listened to a few of Michael Drouts courses from TMS but no other lecturers. Will add them to my queue!

>I'm thinking of doing the World of Byzantium or the Barbarians of the Steppes, are those ones pretty good?
Ive only done Harl's Vikings and Era of the Crusades courses (both great) but his area of expertise is Byzantium so I guess that'll be a top course.

They barely scratch the surface of the subjects, but it is ok background noise for long drives or when working.