Mark 3:28-30

>Truly I tell you, all sins and blasphemes will be forgiven for the sons of men. But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven, but is guilty of an eternal sin.

What did he mean by this? Is he trying to say that accusing pure good as being evil is the most sinful thing of all?

The context was "He said this because they [the Pharisees] were saying, 'He has an evil spirit'."

Also, what IS the holy spirit?

Other urls found in this thread:

carm.org/holy-spirit
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Blaspemy against the Holy Spirit is claiming that Christ's power comes from Satan and not from the LORD.

The Holy Spirit is the third person of the Trinity and it is responsible for counseling and comforting the faithful.

Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is denial of that which has revealed itself to you.

The context is the Pharisees said "Jesus has an evil spirit in him". The truth is that standing before them is the Lord God, whose spirit is the Holy Spirit, one part of the triune God.

So the Jews are literally standing in front of God, surrounded by the Holy Spirit, and are saying "nah fuck that, I bet it's a demon."

Jesus responds that everything is forgiveable, but to be presented with the Holy Spirit unequivocally, that has revealed itself to you physically, and still say "nah, prolly demons or something" is a blasphemy too great to ignore.

Thanks for the explanation.

I still don't understand what the FUCK the holy spirit actually IS though. Is it ever touched upon in the OT or is it only ever expanded upon by jesus in the NT?

>What did he mean by this? Is he trying to say that accusing pure good as being evil is the most sinful thing of all?
No, he's saying that if you do not believe Jesus is who he says he is, you will not be saved.

>The context was "He said this because they [the Pharisees] were saying, 'He has an evil spirit'."
Jesus performed the miracles they said the messiah would perform, yet they accused him of being in league with the devil. They rejected him as their messiah because they were afraid of their positions and the survival of their country.

>Also, what IS the holy spirit?
Who. The Holy Spirit is a person, one of the persons of the trinity. He is called the Comforter, the Restrainer, and the Breath of God.

Jesus forgave all sins at the cross except for this one. This one is Unbelief.

So all you have to do to be saved is to believe that the Holy Spirit is speaking the truth when he tells you that Jesus is the Christ, the Messiah, the Son of the living God.

To blaspheme the Holy Spirit, you would say he is lying, that Jesus is not the Christ, not the messiah, did not die, and did not raise from the dead.

Like the muslims do.

>The Holy Spirit is a person
I thought the holy spirit was just a kind of life force that liked to take the appearance of a dove

He's a person. You can lie to him, you can make him upset, you can speak with him, he can speak with you; he's a person. Just not a human person. He's a spirit being, as the Father is a spirit being. He's as much God as the Son and the Father are God.

That came from the description of the Holy Spirit fluttering down upon Jesus during his baptism, "like a dove". So kind of a picture of something white, descending, peacefully.

Later he manifests as tongues of fire hanging over the apostle's heads as they receive the Holy Spirit.

Slightly earlier than that, the resurrected Jesus breathes into the open mouths of his apostles and says "receive the Holy Spirit". My Hebrew sucks, but the Holy Spirit is called Ruach Elohim, the Breath of God.

The Holy Spirit is referenced throughout the Old Testament as the "Spirit of God;" it was the force that animated the prophets.

God is the Trinity, three of one, the Triune God.

Each aspect of God is represented, but at the same time is the whole of God.

The Holy Spirit is the aspect of God that is his continuing influence and presence on this earth and in our lives. He is the Holy Spirit that lives within us, that guides us, that enlightens us, that carries us to His holy dwelling place. The Holy Spirit is the performance of miracles, the deliverance of prayers, the communion and communication of God's will to our mortal ears.

Thanks again. How the fuck did I go through 9 years of CCD and never retain this knowledge

The Catholics, Jews and Muslims don't really know who the Holy Spirit is, so they can't really teach people about him.

Here's a good site.

carm.org/holy-spirit

Because CCD is taught by parents that don't know what the fuck they are talking about. They can barely explain what transubstantiation is, let alone try to tackle something as complicated as the Trinity.

Realistically, CCD should be taught by monks and nuns exclusively, but instead Catholics grow up being taught watered down lay theology that makes no sense.

To be fair I think my CCD teachers had bachelors in theology or whatever but I was ADHD so I couldn't pay attention for shit and since it wasn't 'real school' it was gg

No Catholic does.

Get out of her.

>Get out of her.

>Catholics not understanding the holy spirit.

And Protestants do?

>No Catholic does.
Stop this meme. Plenty of catholics know what the holy spirit is you dumb heretic

>gnosticism
Am I out of touch with this meme or what?

gnosticism is retarded

Yes, Christians do. Hence being born again Christians, born in the Spirit. He lives inside us. Tabernacles, you might say.

Straight from Jesus. Get out of her.

None do, or they would be Christians and not Catholics.

No, satan does not give up his tricks. John wrote that the gnostics have been active ever since the church started in 32 AD, denying that Jesus came down from heaven in the flesh.

>what the holy spirit is

Who. Who the Holy Spirit is.

And thank you for making my point for me.

Veeky Forums contrarianism spiraling ever in the weird directions it does.

Atheism was contrarian in the beginning, but then they were too numerous here and so Christians began to pop up, but now that the Christians are the overly vocal PITAs around here, the Veeky Forums zeitgeist is taking on other forms (namely revivals of weird mystic philosophies and religions because they can't just go back to atheism as the means to set themselves apart from "the herd").

What color is the sky in your world? Not that I'd want to visit, of course.

Blue. I've just been here since 2006 and noticed the trend that Veeky Forums, on account of being populated mostly by asocial loners derives a great deal of their identity and self-satisfaction from not being a part of "the herd" as a defense mechanism to justify their own asocial natures. So anything that threatens to bring them into the herd will attract disgust and send them scrambling, looking for things with which they can distinguish themselves. The bizarre point about it is that these trends will blossom, with anonymous latching on to them because they haven't yet reached the critical mass where it seems to be another "herd" before they eventually become what they sought to avoid and start to deflate again.

So your hypothesis is that unlike every other living human being ever, Veeky Forums posters are not looking for love, acceptance, meaning and purpose in their lives, but strive only to be contrarians.

Said contrarian group providing them with love, acceptance, meaning and purpose in their lives.

Great hypothesis.

Indeed. Extreme social pressures can cause us to seek emotional fulfillment in roundabout and counter productive ways. There's a reason the classic stereotype of a woman who never had her father's approval grows up to become a slut that latches onto men willy-nilly exists.

In Veeky Forums's case, the asocial loners seek approval from fellow asocial loners and define themselves largely by being apart from the herd of society. But posters here come to start seeing society in terms of Veeky Forums, and Veeky Forums as society, so whatever is too popular here once against becomes "the herd."

This man knows his shit. Just look at /pol/ if you need proof.