FAT TUESDAY THREAD

Hey guys,

What are you planning on doing for Lent? Are you fasting from anything?

When I was praying about what to abstain from I thought about how much time I spend on the internet. My initial reaction was that it would be too hard to give up browsing but that's when I knew God wanted me to give it a shot. I'm excited to see what I'll do with the time I'd normally would be online with and I definitely want to use some of it to play more music.

It's for things like this that make me feel that the Lenten fast is valuable but I know a lot of people don't think that way. What do you think?

I know I'll be savoring this last night on Veeky Forums before I take a break!

no jerking off
no pop

Can you show me where in the bible I find the passage setting the guidelines for lent?

No?

Why are Catholics so stupid?

No gossiping or talking bad about people unless they're morally bankrupt politicians like Putin.
Might give up chocolate but I don't think it's possible.

Christ empowers the Church. Whatever the Church proclaims as doctrine, Christ effectively says.

Dubs and I'll give up Veeky Forums

Ayy lmao.
Just like paying to be absolved.

Are you supposing I'm addicting to browsing this shithole you stupid faggot this is a way of life dumbass

Singles and I give up jerking it.

trips i stop jerking off for lent, dubs i pray everynight to god and and try harder in college, singles i go to the gym at least 3 times a week

dubs and i'll do it

Deleted social media, cutting out junk food. Will be much more strict about going to the gym. Rosary every day, 15 minutes of Bible time everyday. Nofap

We will ride on your suffering.

Nothing.

I'll abstain from sex, friends, healthy foods, going out and happiness I'm general. Oh wait I always abstain from those.

>Rosary every day, 15 minutes of Bible time everyday.

You don't need to do this part though coz God doesn't exist

God is love

I think you're talking about Shrek, mate.

God is in everyone and thing

traditional man. no meat, no sweet stuff.

New International Version
Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.

New Living Translation
But anyone who does not love does not know God, for God is love.

English Standard Version
Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love.

Berean Study Bible
Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.

Berean Literal Bible
The one not loving has not known God, because God is love.

New American Standard Bible
The one who does not love does not know God, for God is love.

I'm giving up on

Meats(fish is allowed)
Coffee
Pop
Sweets

And I'm gonna lay off gossip and try and be more understanding and less headstrong

what even is this lent thing

You give up a vice or somthing you enjoy greatly for 40 days leading up to easter.

Dubs and I stop jacking it

It's a Christian thing

I know catholics and orthodox do it, I'm not sure about protestants though

Literally every thread a protestant shilling for "Muh highly edited and poorly translated KJV bible don't say that!"

Matthew 18:18

Christ makes Peter the leader of the Apostles.

Peter says I pass my power on to others. Christ honors it.

Christian leaders say "Let's do this lent thing to reflect on our spiritual life" Christ honors it.

>insert other catholic dogma or tradition.
Christ honors it.

Pretty much no for Protestants. I went to a Catholic high school and since I wasn't Catholic I'd take ham sandwiches for lunch every Friday during Lent, that way I could trigger the Catholics and Jews at the same time. Yeah, I know there were no Jews there, but it's the thought that counts.

It's the 40 days before easter. We deprive ourselves of comfort in some way to help purify our souls.

Some people traditionally give up chocolate or other luxuries, on top of the churches prescribed fast days

For some reason, contemporary catholics give up some mortal sin, hence the "no fap" thing. This doesn't make sense, because you shouldn't be masturbating anyway.

Is "Christ Honors It" some meaningful expression or is it a mind-defense mantra?

It's from the Dogma of Papal Infallibility.

Christ will honor our Pope's degrees. Of course there are many qualifiers, the pope can't simply decree that the Cubs are terrible. The process involves much rigor and study.

A pope can release Bulls and other documents of varying weight, which suggest for faithful catholics to do something. These don't have to be followed, and are usually truism that anyone who follows the faith should already know. Other times, a pope can make an error, which has happened in history before. Poorly worded documents can cause confusion and must be later changed. I suspect this will happen with the recent encyclical "Amorous Leticia."

Declaring dogma is much harder, and a longer process, as it can change the faith drastically. Dogma cannot contradict previous dogma, or church theology.

>Can you show me where in the bible I find the passage setting the guidelines for lent?

Can you show me where in the bible you get the full list of books of the bible?

Seems like circular reasoning.
The Pope has authority because the Pope declares that the Pope has authority?

More like linear reasoning.

If christ is truly the son of God, then he would not tell us a lie.
He declared St. Peter the authority over the church, and gave him the final say on what the church believes and teaches.
Thus, St. Peter has the authority of Christ, and rules in his place until Christ returns. This must be true, if you believe that Christ is the son of God.
St. Peter nears the end of his life, and establishes a council of people (whom we now refer to as Cardinals) to choose his successor, with the blessing of the holy spirit. Which is permissible via the premise above.
These Cardinals choose a successor to St. Peter, who is granted the same authority that Christ granted St. Peter, in the same way.
Continue thus cycle for about 2000 years, and you're here in 2017 with Pope Francis, who has the same authority as St. Peter.
The cycle will continue until Christ returns.
Christ is the son of God, and is essentially good, thus he would not lie to us about appointing his vicar or his return.

>He declared St. Peter the authority over the church
This is where it immediately breaks down, these passages are so suspiciously spliced into the engineered bible written hundreds of years after the life and death of the Jesus character.
It's taking for granted the words of the biased source who claims justification for their own position.

I'm giving up pounds, it's time to lose weight. Still gonna masturbate though, on sundays.

Besides fasting and reading more Scriptures, I'm trying to give up masturbation (and things that might tempt be to do that). God willing this will carry on even after Lent because I haven't fapped for a week already.

Coincides with the 40 days Christ spent in the desert where he was tempted by the devil.

So, are you a Christian? If not, then you should just take my argument as a doctrinal description and justification. I suppose I should have thrown in a premise describing how the Bible is sacred scripture and God's word. I took that for granted and shouldn't have.

If you're a Christian, why believe anything in the bible at all? If you believe it possible to simply throw in a random part for personal gain, what else is changed or edited?

lol I'm giving up sex. I'm not planning on having any anyway and it would make me laugh really hard if I got into it with a girl and will have to tell them I can't cuz Lent

>trying to ignore the ascetic and stoic nature of christianity

plebotestants everyone. Why dont you go listen to some shitty chrisitan rock band in your gaudy arena church

going a whole MONTH without sex?! Lol yeah right, theres no way anyone could go that long!

Very convenient, like Jesus putting Peter in charge of the church instead of his brother

Was the secret supper not a rave?

>hurr King James is """poorly translated"""
>Rely instead on this translation of a translation