What are the greatest last stands in history?

What are the greatest last stands in history?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VGPBLkZggXI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Saragarhi
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Szigetvár
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Okehazama
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Güns
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Camarón
youtube.com/watch?v=uqQf_92dgHM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fall_of_Tenochtitlan
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Chamkaur_(1704)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_Thermopylae
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Camarón
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Maritsa
youtube.com/watch?v=BujhFOoXxWQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Remember the Alamo, user.
youtube.com/watch?v=VGPBLkZggXI

And it doesn't meet the 25 year rule but Randy Shughart and Gary Gordon in Operation Gothic Serpent is a hella a last stand.

Keeping the Ottoman army on the wrong side of the mountains, while sieging their castles on the right side of it. Underrated battle, when you consider the consequences. Perhaps Britain/France/Germany would've attacked Russia if the Ottomans managed to get through and fight on even grounds.

>Surrender! You guys are out of food.
>That's where you're wrong, kiddo.

Were those the Christian cultists?

no no that's much latter, the 1800s, this is in Tang dynasty

I know they had a similar case of killing each other rather than surrendering, and looking at the map I thought its also in a similar place.

That'd be 800 years too early.

"In this battle you must stand firm and have no fear, no thought of flight, but be inspired to resist with ever more herculean strength. Animals may run away from animals. But you are men, men of stout heart, and you will hold at bay these dumb brutes, thrusting your spears and swords into them, so that they will know that they are fighting not against their own kind but against the masters of animals."
-Mehmed the pagan slayer

I found about this yesterday.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Saragarhi

SIkh's seem too cool for the Indian sub-continent desu.

Why didn't anybody make a movie about that?

This siege;

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Szigetvár

bar fucking none.

Lunatic Croats, how the hell is this not a movie, they rigged the citadel with explosives and blew it up when the elite janissaries started swarming in.

Imagine that movie ending.

this
or pic related

>Ottoman victories
>b-b-b-but my K/D ratio!!

;^)

>Ottoman victories
>b-b-b-but my K/D ratio!!

I do not think you understand the concept of a last stand.

One were the good guys win. Like Bannockburn.

When was the last time you heard about the An Shi Rebellion?

They probably talk about it in China.
Hollywood loves selling to China.
China makes movies itself too.

Last stands typically involve defeat, my dude.

This thread is about last stands you absolute autist

Does China really want people, especially outside China, to know they resorted to mass cannibalism during sieges? Granted they were rebels but still.

[spoiler]well the current Gov only support epic shit that portrait the current ruler in a positive light, or the 3 kingdoms memewar
a movie about "our guy" resorting to cannibalism is too damn violent and brutal, "could evoke bad behavior among the citizen and doubt toward the party"
so no

Camaron

The support for Legalism in Chinese movies is so fucking blatant I wanna throw up. The ending of Hero was total shit. And Election 1.

You rang?

Read Plato. Art should support the state.

>MANLY WAR FEELS INCOMING
>LOINS GIRDED

My brat

Hero ending is kinda legit though since these need to be an end for the constantly fighting between states
Curse of the Golden flower is actually the stupid shit, going all and all about "muh principal, muh rule" and you must obey at all cost even with your life
good cleavage service though

this one is based
but also proved that medieval soldiers is no better than the barbarians back in ancient rome

Stalingrad.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Okehazama
It was supposed to ba a last stand but Oda won so hard it put him on the map as a major force.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Güns

Typically. Rorke's Drift is an example of a successful one.

and it's still funny

Aristocracy lasted way too long. The poor bastards were led by a fucking idiot blue blood.
Anyone that argues for an empowered monarchy or aristocracy should look upon this.

It wasn't a last stand then, was it?

not a last stand, there were contingency plans if Stalingrad/Moscow/Leningrad fell

roughly 52 Germans for 1 Pole

Pic related, a hero of that battle
He died heroically while fighting bravely and in spite of overwhelming odds against 9 terrific frogs
The legend says he even almost came close from slightly wounding one of them

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Camarón

Almost a last stand. I wonder if they'd have fought to the man if they were never offered those terms.

If only pussy ass Germans hadn't ran away at the first sight of French cavalry, maybe the battle could have been won

My name is Legion, because we are many.

In American history, probably Custer's literal Last Stand or the Alamo.

Every fucking Japanese-held island in WWII was an epic last stand.

>And it doesn't meet the 25 year rule but Randy Shughart and Gary Gordon in Operation Gothic Serpent is a hella a last stand.

That Black hawk down scene

>They had not lost their reputation at Rocroy, they had died to keep it
>The veterans were gone, the tradition broken, and no one was left to train a new generation.
>In the centre of their position on the fields before Rocroy there stands to-day a little modern monument, an unassuming grey monolith: the gravestone of the Spanish army; almost, one might say, the gravestone of Spanish greatness.

these feelings
also, btw, nice triple dubs

>italians in charge of war
girlslaughing.png

the roman legions that got smacked by Hannibal, I think something like 60k romans slaughtered in on day....with hand to hand weapons. imagine that

soo 21 guns ?

Are you autistic or do you not understand that Afghans had guns like the jezail.

epic last stands have positive kill death ratios. The Japanese never managed a positive k/d in any of their last stands.

Not sure whether last stand, since they won, but pretty epic nonetheless.

What is dis?

>Rome 2 DEI: actual battle edition

seriously in DEI roman troops are so overpowered that a victory like this is essentially another Tuesday in that game. I conquered all of Gaul, britain, and Spain with one superstack. Once beat 4 armies at once with them. Felt Caesar as fuck

actualy, thats pretty routine in the ottoman wars, troughout croatia and hungary, last stand after last stand, 20 to 1 odds, heroic last charges and collective martyrdom defending christiendom against the circumcised invasion etc etc... theres a good 600 years worth of it...

>youtube.com/watch?v=uqQf_92dgHM

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fall_of_Tenochtitlan

The Shangani Patrol

This painting is titled, there were no survivors.

That's nothing compared too:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Chamkaur_(1704)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_Thermopylae

Poles are very good at this

Sevastopol anyone?

>By 18:00, with ammunition exhausted, the last of Danjou's men, numbering only five, including Lt. Maudet, desperately mounted a bayonet charge.[1]:90 Two men fell outright, while the rest were surrounded.[1]:91 One of them, Victor Catteau, had leapt in front of Maudet in an effort to protect him, and died in the Mexican barrage.[1]:91 Major Campos ordered the Legionnaires to surrender, to which Corporal Phillipe Maine answered, "We will surrender if you leave us our weapons and our equipment. You also have to promise to take care of our wounded lieutenant."[1]:91
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Camarón

The end of Spanish dominance and the beginning of French one

You guys know that sieges require at least 3 to 1 odds right? You don't siege places with less than that.

Unless you're a madman like Lasalle

Cause he bluffed them. They thought they were massively outnumbered when they surrendered the garrisons.

The Battle of ThermopAlamo where Napoleon withstood a British naval canon that fired a cossack right at him, luckily contrary to popular belief he was very large (NOT A MANLET REEE!) and withstood it.
He would have won too if it weren't for

They're you go, just amalgamated Veeky Forums for you.

>On 7 April 1902 he entered the village of Kadino Selo with six other revolutionaries unaware of the situation in Kadino Selo he went into an ambush. The Ottoman troops within the village, were under attack from a small group of revolutionaries. After fierce fighting in the village and surrounds, Metodija killed his friends and committed suicide.[8][9]

They were baricaded inside a house, the fight lasted the entire day, they fought to the last bullet and then commited suicide, according to the folk song the leader, pic related, killed himself first then the rest followed, upon entering the house the Ottomans fired several rounds out of respect for their bravery.

Rocroi. A.K.A Spanish-Habsburgs finally get what they deserve.

Battle of Muret, fuckers pulled a Helm's Deep and the didn't even have any reinforcements

Prussia? More like Pussy-A

Kek

FOR THE GRACE, FOR THE MIGHT OF OUR LORD, FOR THE HOME OF THE HOLY

>In American history, probably Custer's literal Last Stand or the Alamo.

Wrong. It's Wake Island.

Nothing can compete with Szigetvar.

>Let us go out from this burning place into the open and stand up to our enemies. Who dies – he will be with God. Who dies not – his name will be honored. I will go first, and what I do, you do. And with God as my witness – I will never leave you, my brothers and knights!

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Maritsa

The Ottomans were undeniably badass back in the day.

>500 starving ameribros, japs, italians, french, british, and austrians
>vs 50,000 heathen Chinks
>manage to hold out for like a month until the Brits come to the rescue
>the last great battle in the defense of Christianity

EPIC
P
I
C

does a film exist about it?

youtube.com/watch?v=BujhFOoXxWQ

>defense of Christianity
I doubt they did anything for the actual Christians in Beijing. They just holed up in the diplomatic quarter to survive themselves, not for some lofty defense of Christianity (note the Japanese, too - they didn't give a shit about Christians).
And even if they were idealists, in effect they'd be imperialists first, Christians second. The whole history of the presence of the European and Japanese powers in the later Qing is genuinely fucked up and not at all about Christianity as a religion.

Fucking epic.
I love these European/Murican coalition effort things.
They give me a happy feeling in my pants.

>tfw they can NEVER remake this film in fear it will offend the Chinese

yeah, pic related but it was a siege but they besiegers were victorious anyway

but most last stands are annoying as the auto-solve feature in total war games

>1000 vs 50
>300 casualities vs 49 casualities

MG OVERPOWERED PLS NERF

I'm going to watch it

>implying there's anything great about foreigners invading a sovereign state for their own profit

Yeah, some great pieces of history and some lessons for future invaders.

lmao, get a load of this massive beta

>until the Brits come to the rescue
Britain didn't even give that many troops as compared to the Japanese or Russians. All Britain did was manage to fuck up the first expedition to the point a second one had to be sent. On top of this, they didn't play THAT notable of a role in the conflict. Most of the notable actions were carried by American or Japanese troops.

Even as a Brit, I second this.

Look how happy they are. They know they are doing God's work.

>defending Christianity
>when earlier they killed the brother of Christ
t. Taiping Rebellion

Did you just forget the japs?

I like to think of the Eight Nation Alliance like last happy moment in a film, where everyone works together right before they tear each other apart.

>The Japanese are invading Korea
>The land war is all but lost, the Korean court has been chased straight up the peninsula and are cowering in a border village
>Korea is almost knocked out, but a irritating naval commander named Yi Sun Sin has been launching hit and run tactics, disrupting resupply and overall keeping the invasion from going smoothly
>Managed to trick the Korean court into nearly killing Yi for treason, replace him with an incompetent admiral that you manage to crush in a single battle and scatter the tiny korean fleet
>Yi's put back in command with only 13 ships, all survivors from the earlier incompetent admiral's blunder
>Decides to make his last stand in a strait that changes current direction over a certain period of time
>Japanese send the entire navy to finish him off
>over 100 warships alone, not including the 200 or so transport ships
>Yi's flagship charges head on into the enemy by him-fucking-self because the survivors were scared to go in
>Yi fighting alone inspires them and they join the fight
>right then, the current fucking turns, and the japanese ships start crashing into each other
>The japanese navy gets ripped to shreds by korean cannonfire
>The japanese limp away, having lost 30 ships and according to the japanese admiral himself over half his men drowned
>Yi had lost no ships and suffered less than 20 casualties

Battle of Myeongryang