How did Malaysia even get put together...

How did Malaysia even get put together? This may have possibly the worst clusterfuck territory of any country in the world.
>two main areas, separated by a very substantial distance.
>one is just a bit of a peninsula with the tip chopped off to become its own city state
>the other is the top of an island 1,000km away chopped off from Indonesia, with yet another tiny country enclaved within that.
How did these two areas on the other side of the ocean from each other even get joined into one country? How is the half an island bit not part of Indonesia, or the rest of the island not part of Malaysia?

colonialism makes ugly border

Usually yes, but in this case no.
Malaysia is a ethnic Malay state and was envisioned as such, these funny borders are simply where Malays are.
It could have been worse, ethno-states in places like the Philippines would look absurd. European States were able to get clean borders because centuries have intermittent state warfare and population movement made everyone move to their side of natural borders.

>Malaysia is a ethnic Malay state and was envisioned as such, these funny borders are simply where Malays are.
SEA here, if that was the case, then it should include southern Thailand, Brunei, whole coastal Borneo, Singaore, and Sumatra island next door

Its literally post colonial autism

>Singapore
Singapore was basically a Chinese colony by the time they decided to create Malaysia, thanks to the British.

its nicely shaped desu

The Singaporean elite were originally Chinese, but did not have the presence necessary to declare themselves China jr. As for the rest, they were culturally and often even linguistically distinct enough from mainstream Malay's to have their own ethno-states.

Well Singapore is traditionally a Malay land, since we talk about how Malaysia was supposedly formed as ethno state as opposed to colonial leftover mess
>As for the rest, they were culturally and often even linguistically distinct enough from mainstream Malay's to have their own ethno-states
not really
ethnical, cultural, and religious wise, peninsular Malays are closer to southern Thais and Sumatrans than they do with Borneo, the same case in Borneo as Borneans are closer to Indonesian Borneans than they did with Malays
Infact most Borneans aren't even Malays but assortments of various christian jungle tribes like dayak, kadazan, dusun, etc, they're not even similar to malays infact

Traditionally, but the city itself was Chinese dominated, and they sure as hell weren't keen on being part of Malaysia, and for good reason.

Setting up ethno-states is a difficult endeavour, especially where populations aren't nearly parcelled into territories, as they usually aren't. When it comes to smaller groups, they're usually just thrown in with the group considered dominant within drawn borders. Malaysians are super anal about their identity as Malays, to the detriment of non-malay populations. But I digress. It was enough that the Malay populations of the two landmasses thought themselves as Malay's strongly enough to justify their union as a single state, despite distance.
I'm not saying there are not problems with the way the borders were drawn, but the case of Malaysia is unique compared to, say, Africa or the middle East, where borders were beyond arbitrary.

Colonial Africa still had better borders than modern Banana Republic Africa.

And what about the Middle East? that borders are ugly as fuck

Originally, the peninsula alone, composed of British-dominated territories and sultanates, was made into its own independent country (the Federation of Malaya).

A few years later they created Malaysia by adding Singapore and the Borneo states which were also former British colonies, because these colonies wanted independence from the British but were too weak and undeveloped to survive on their own, and also because Malaya didn't want an independent Singapore acting as a base for communists right on their doorstep.

Then Singapore got removed later because nobody could get along and they were one step away from a full fledged race war.

What happens here?

Recently some friendly chaps wanted to redraw the borders there a bit to make them more appealing, but that just made everyone mad at them

Ludicrous oil wealth.

>Traditionally, but the city itself was Chinese dominated, and they sure as hell weren't keen on being part of Malaysia, and for good reason.

Fuck you nigga, we joined them and changed their name from Malaya to Malaysia. But someone chimped out hard on the idea of racial equality and we got kicked out. There was a political impetus to join Malaysia coz being a city state sucks

Our relationship with Malaysia is symbiotic

>This may have possibly the worst clusterfuck territory of any country in the world.

Southern Thailand wasn't part of the British empire, seeing as Thailand was an independent country
Singaporeans are mostly Chinese and was part of Malaysia earlier on anyway
Dunno about the other two

Singapore didn't even like the Malays, you just joined up because they weren't the British. PAP and UMNO were never going to be able to coexist.

Liking them and rolling with "Malays first" are two different things.

>PAP and UMNO were never going to be able to coexist.
True but can't say they didn't try

playpen of some rich dudes.

jungle chink oil sheikh

>being a city state sucks
When you're one of the most important trade ports in asia, naw, city states are great.
>But someone chimped out hard on the idea of racial equality
Yeah, like every malay outside of singapore.

No it isn't dumbass, there is less room for development and we have to take of external shit like military and diplomacy too. It is not like we can spill over to Johor like how Hong Kong did with Shenzhen

>Yeah, like every malay outside of singapore
Err I guess, but at least Malaysia's citizens is shedding some of its identity politics

I don't know what view you have of your neighbours boundless lands, but let me tell ya, tall clean buildings and escalators on hills>bumfuck nothing that somehow has dense traffic
>we have to take of external shit like military and diplomacy too
Neither of which Singapore is hurting in
They're a respectable regional power with good relations with the rest of the major asian players.

Aren't you doing a lot of land reclamation?

>at least Malaysia's citizens is shedding some of its identity politics
Maybe among some of the young urban people, but otherwise Malay chauvinism is as strong as ever.

It is simply not enough to keep up. Too far south and Indonesia complains, too far east and Malaysia complains (more than usual)

>Maybe among some of the young urban people, but otherwise Malay chauvinism is as strong as ever.
Blackouts in elections helps too :^)

I don't need you to tell me about my country. This city state is fast becoming clausphobic and space becomes more and more of a problem, development be damned. Singapore doesn't have any other areas to build suburbs and satellite towns or cities

>Neither of which Singapore is hurting in
They're a respectable regional power with good relations with the rest of the major asian players.
LOL. We have conscription specifically to deter Malaysia and Indonesia from throwing their weight around (which they do a lot) . Even if you think China and USA are our allies, it is more of political realism as both parties try to use Singapore as a stepping stone to SEA. Hell China spite us lately just coz we are getting shit from Taiwan. Our interests don't really align with our neighbors or our allies that much. Dismissing our need for good military and diplomacy coz we have 'good relationships' just goes to show our little you know of Singapore

>because centuries have intermittent state warfare and population movement made everyone move to their side of natural borders
No, it's because after WWII almost every country went into an ethnic cleansing overdrive.

Build upwards
Problem solved
Singapore goes one step further to becoming a cyberpunk city-state
idk why you would not want that

Being a "respectable regional power" means having, y'know, power, usually in the form of bombs and artillery shells and air-to-air missiles and all that jazz. Which, y'know, Singapore has.

>it is more of political realism as both parties try to use Singapore as a stepping stone to SEA
This just in, Singapore is not a world power and has to operate as every other minor nation does. News at 11, jim.

The geographical determinist view would be that the ancestral groups that populate this region probably suck close to the coasts, and spread out along them. This is not unusual, Vikings were mainly sea-going people and didn't always venture far inland. Lots of humans do this, we tend to congregate near water.

Also consider that rural areas inland are dense with jungle. Not just jungle, rainforest, which can be difficult for some to spread through. You can clearly see all the major cities are close to the ocean.

can't wait for Federal ASEAN.

Not gonna happen
We may like each other, but that don't mean we wanna be roommates

>build upward
Not that simple, we still need land to do shit other than house people

>Singapore goes one step further to becoming a cyberpunk city-state
Mainly coz cyberpunks are always a dystopia. Also making Singapore more shitty than it already is? No fucking thanks

>Being a "respectable regional power" means having, y'know, power, usually in the form of bombs and artillery shells and air-to-air missiles and all that jazz. Which, y'know, Singapore has.
That don't count for shit when your potential enemies outnumber you at least 10 to 1 and supplies you all the raw materials you need in day to day living in the first place

>This just in, Singapore is not a world power and has to operate as every other minor nation does. News at 11, jim.
Now you are just being disingenuous. I am talking about how Singapore is not a regional power in the first place, not about how Singapore is not a world power. Even within SEA, Singapore must be Venice-tier in its diplomacy coz we don't have a lot of raw power in the region

we actually hate each other

As long as we don't include any nigger Indians and dark skins.

A federal ASEAN is the only way the region is not just a tug of war between china and USA, with Singapore as it's capital of coz. But just like EU, everyone won't cooperate and be dicks.

Race equality is code for "chinese take everything and give nothing back". Thank god Malaysia got rid of that those materialistic hedonist scum that is singapore. If only we can purge the rest of these opportunistic traitorous and sorry excuse of a """""Malaysian"""""

>Not that simple, we still need land to do shit other than house people
Like what

>Mainly coz cyberpunks are always a dystopia. Also making Singapore more shitty than it already is? No fucking thanks
Would you prefer a cool dystopia or a boring dystopia with foul smelling rivers

>That don't count for shit when your potential enemies outnumber you at least 10 to 1 and supplies you all the raw materials you need in day to day living in the first place

>10 to 1
good odds desu, we'd get another demonstration of the principles learned in the arab-israeli conflicts of 48 and 67.

>and supplies you all the raw materials you need in day to day living in the first place
All minor nations have to kowtow to someone. Luckily for Singapore, it's got a lot of folks in the international community it can brown nose, much more than indonesia.

>I am talking about how Singapore is not a regional power in the first place
Duplicity. Are the Singaporean Armed forces good or are they not?

>Race equality is code for "chinese take everything and give nothing back".
Chinese wouldn't give a shit about race if Malays didn't make race such a huge issue.

Singapore armed forces are probably the strongest in the region, but if it comes to conflict against all its neighbors they have very little space to trade for time and also would quickly die of thirst since the island doesn't have enough fresh water for itself.

Are malays are like typical /pol/ retards?

Race is a huge issue. Why don't they change their name to Malay name, go to national school, speak Malay at an acceptable level if it's such a none issue

In Malaysia, both the Malays and Chinese, if they were white they would almost qualify as Nazis.

here comes the chink apologist

>Like what
Don't you know anything about urban geography?

>Would you prefer a cool dystopia or a boring dystopia with foul smelling rivers
Neither you idiot. Is your conception of sci-fi only cyberpunk?

>good odds desu, we'd get another demonstration of the principles learned in the arab-israeli conflicts of 48 and 67.
For what purpose? We don't even have the numbers to occupy any conquered territory.

>All minor nations have to kowtow to someone. Luckily for Singapore, it's got a lot of folks in the international community it can brown nose, much more than indonesia.
By any help if any comes we would have lost. A far away bucket of water won't extinguish a nearby fire

>Duplicity. Are the Singaporean Armed forces good or are they not?
Nah you are being retarded, even more so than edgy UMNO poster. SAF is good enough for a poison shrimp doctrine, not enough to conquer

>Why don't they change their name to Malay name
>"Malay" name
you mean Arab names?

>go to national school
Because the Chinese schools are superior. Even the Malays want in on the Chinese schools.

>speak Malay at an acceptable level
everyone passed SPM Malay. there is no problem here.

>Singapore armed forces are probably the strongest in the region
So they are a regional power?

>but if it comes to conflict against all its neighbors they have very little space to trade for time and also would quickly die of thirst since the island doesn't have enough fresh water for itself
take less showers lol
you think I'm being facetious, but rationing scarce resources during wartime is a given innit

>you mean Arab names?
careful there tan

when will these chinese learn

Joke's on you, we can drink water from our toilets now.

I can think of nothing necessary to an urban environ that could not be in the sky.

>Neither you idiot. Is your conception of sci-fi only cyberpunk?
What can I say, I only like the stuff good.

>For what purpose? We don't even have the numbers to occupy any conquered territory.
Israel didn't need to occupy territory, and only did so after its opponents were most certainly in no capacity to go on the counter-offensive. Had it occupied territory before then, it would have spread itself rather thin, wouldn't it? Compact territory + air superiority makes it quite dangerous to have a go at enemies with as short of supply lines as the Singaporeans or 48 israel. You'll notice that Singapore puts a lot more care into its airforce than its neighbours, not just fielding comparable numbers of any neighbour taken alone but with limited models in operation, f-15's and F-16's, instead of a mishmash whoever happened to be offering a good deal on the market at the time. An unfortunate side effect of having too many airframes is needing pilots and maintenance crews who specialize in one or the other, having distinct parts for a great variety of aircrafts, things you don't want if you want to keep your airfleet in the air as much and as cheaply as possible.

>By any help if any comes we would have lost. A far away bucket of water won't extinguish a nearby fire
Man, for a guy calling his military the best in the region, you're defeatist as heck. The aussies could be there in days.

>SAF is good enough for a poison shrimp doctrine
>best in the region
>only good enough for a poisin shrimp doctrine
Are the Singaporean Armed Forces good or are they not?

>I can think of nothing necessary to an urban environ that could not be in the sky.
Industry you dumb fuck

>good stuff
Edgy plebeian shit

Oh so we invade or fight just to wreck their shit? The same countries that once again sell us vital supplies for day to day living. If we were to go to war, it would be to grab their shit. A city state is not self sufficient by design and pissing off your suppliers instead of conquering is even dumber than fighting them in the first place.

>Man, for a guy calling his military the best in the region, you're defeatist as heck. The aussies could be there in days.
Oh ya the Aussies can just fly through the Indonesian airspace huh? Retard. We would only last in a day or two

>Are the Singaporean Armed Forces good or are they not?
If you are gonna repeat the question I will repeat the answer.

the thing is Singapore would be destroyed in minutes the moment a war happen, its just one city, not even a size of province like Israel, there's no room to maneuver, where as their potential enemy have large land, their administrative center far enough from Singapore, and the land they have nearby filled with nothing buy forrest that it wouldn't matter if Singapore attacked it

*buy = but

Does being the node through which pretty much all the shipping in the region flows give you any leverage to play with?

another important point, while Singapore provide the port, their neighbours are the actual ones controlling the sea, if Indonesia and Malaysia somehow get along, there's no reason for them not to blockade the sea or destroy Singapore so they can make another port to replace Singapore

Infact Thailand has been trying to do that by planning to create a canal in Kra so ships can travel there without going through Singapore (which is more efficient and cheaper route) but of course Singapore stops them

>Industry you dumb fuck
much better off in the sky desu

>Oh so we invade or fight just to wreck their shit?
Invade? My my my, and here I thought we were on about defensive conflict. You're quite the imperialist, aren't you?

>Oh ya the Aussies can just fly through the Indonesian airspace huh? Retard. We would only last in a day or two
I mean, realistically yeah, they could just fly through, Indonesia's early warning systems are a bit outdated, you see.

>If you are gonna repeat the question I will repeat the answer.
You said it was the strongest in the region and then proceeded to say that any endeavor it performs in any these conflicts you imagine are doomed to failure from the start. I would like you to repeat yourself, but this time with consistency.

>the thing is Singapore would be destroyed in minutes the moment a war happen, its just one city
Exactly, just one city, not a big distance for supplies to move and aircraft to cover, a small force can have the density of the bigger force, and cities are just great cover all around, they're modern day fortresses that even make things sometimes.

>not even a size of province like Israel
When clumsy enemies attack from different sides separated from each other, the defenders philosophy is "less is more". It's got the shorter supply lines, the shorter distance between fronts, perfect for an army like the SAF, one that puts a lot of work in close cooperation and interconnection between the armed forces branches, quite like the Israeli's.

This isn't an arbitrary connection I'm making, the early SAF was taking in IDF military advisors and organizing themselves roughly on their lines, and it shows in a multitude of ways.

>their administrative center far enough from Singapore
Doesn't matter, all is well so long as their aircraft are within striking distance.

Who would Singapore even go to war with? There's not really anything worth on the island worth invading for that an invasion wouldn't cause to instantly lose all value.

>take everything and give nothing back
That would be what our politicians and royalty are great at doing.Pinning the problems of the Malay working class on an entire race is stupid.

You are all chinks to Americans like me

oh loook people threthened people on internet im so scared

There are pajeet all over malaysia and singapore i dn't know they look like a chinks to you

masyallah islam is so beautiful

This could have been an interesting thread about the subject in the OP. Instead you resorted to /int/ posting

Kill yourselves ASAP

Calling a Malay a chink is an excellent way to get lynched.

This thread proves to me that Americans had the right idea as usual. If you really want to colonize a place you have to cleanse the area of its native inhabitants or you get these subhumans chest beating over who has the bigger micropenis. No room in the brain for true greatness when your head is filled with such pathetic tribalism.

South Borneo and Sumatra were Dutch colonies

British did that in places where they actually wanted to settle e.g. Australia. There was no reason to genocide Southeast Asia.

>American
>colonizing anything
You didn't colonize shit. Your country is the epitome of pathetic tribalism. From the usual racial shit flinging, down to the hair splitting who gets to fuck who up the butt

think chang struck a nerve there

>Americans didn't colonize the Americas

laughing bowler hat dude is out of control

You would be too if you heard from the grapevine that your boss has a tiny dick

Subject in OP can be answered pretty quickly though.

>They are all British colonial possessions
>The peninsula was created first as a federation of formerly separate British-ruled Malay states
>Singapore wanted in because they wanted independence from Britain but didn't think they could survive alone
>The peninsula agreed because they wanted to get a potential communist hotspot under control
>They added the north Borneo states to balance out the massive Chinese influx that would result from adding Singapore
>Brunei was invited to join but declined so it is now enclaved inside Sarawak
>Singapore was kicked out because the Malays wanted to be the master race while the Singaporeans wanted racial equality

>the Singaporeans wanted racial equality

lol

Fuck no

>racial equality

>what was Malaysian Malaysia

Malaysia belongs to the Malay no matter what Lee Kuan Yiew said

t. Dr. M

as a dirty pol/ack I wanted to support you but you're a brown chink muslim genociding the superior Chinese