I have a paper due tomorrow and midterm on friday

I have a paper due tomorrow and midterm on friday

Teach me about American history from 1946 to 64 Veeky Forums

McCarthyism
/thread

Literally God-tier aesthetics

>inb4 plebs with their neon '80s garbage

The United States retained a great deal of the security apparatus created by the Second World War, after realizing that the Soviet Union intended to annex half of Europe and represented a fundamentally hostile power to the western democracies.

The National Security Act created the CIA and National Security Council, which centralized American foreign policy to within the Oval Office.

A massive post-war economic boom was tempered by the knowledge that a destructive war with the communists was highly probable, but the United States remained determined to contain communism and protect the free world.

In domestic politics, the gradual expansion of the civil rights movement began the desegregation of the military and Brown vs. Board of Education and escalated to the point where MLK was marching a quarter of a million people onto Washington.

To put it another way:

REEEEEE FUCKING COMMIES GET OOOOUUUUUUTTT

Rock & roll came and went, burning brightly yet briefly before disappearing forever back into the ether...

...or so they thought!

baby boom
red scare
JFK
Cuba and Commies
Vietnam
Hippies
Drugs
Sexual
Revolution

Korea?

less important proxy war but yea

I think the Korean War holds a lot of significance on the world political scene, maybe more than Vietnam. I say this because of China's role in defeating the U.S., it proved to the U.S. and the world that China was a world player. Before than, China was a third world country ravaged by war and capitalist exploitation.

>'defeating'
k

Very poor word choice I'll admit, but give me a break I've been up for days. I meant forcing the U.S. military to retreat from North Korea, and from my understanding after China joined the war was a suicide mission for American soldiers. China had the upper hand on man power, strategy and probably would've never lost to the U.S. given the context, again from my limited understanding. And even if my perspective is wildly bias to China, and it may be I'm no expert, my point still stands that the war shows China was capable of and willing to fight against Western influence in Asia and that an Asian country was a potential world power.

It was Russia. America could have won and even considered the nuclear option, but given WW2 ended not that long before and the Cold War was in full swing, nobody wanted to piss off Russia. Especially given China was Communist and Russia would have had an easy reason to help their "allies".

So, given China's support making for a long and drawn out war right after WW2, and Russia preventing an easy way to win by nukes or even conventional means, it was just easier to call it off.

That shit only worked in Vietnam because China and Russia weren't on good terms, nobody really gave a shit about Vietnam, etc.

Listen to "We didn't start the fire"

That's all you need to know.

War was won
Econony was boom
Blacks were negroes

Life was good

Only industrial.economy standing. Too bad those damn Reds caught up in the late 50s, better kill all communist.

We were drunk on power, overpopulation hurt public education and led to suburbia, Civil Rights movement, muh Red Scare, we gave up and let the Nazis head the space program and TV.

Also the Korean War, but no one gives a shit about that unless they are watching MASH.

>50's
>kitsch domestic housewife garbage
>60's
>drugs and hippie garbage
>70's
>horrible green and sick brown coloured living rooms
Truely aesthetic

Spastic.

>this ameriburger understanding of American history
>protect the free world

Are you not well? Or just a Negro?

>/threading yourself