What did he thought after knowing about Hiroshima and Nagasaki? I've read some fragments of his books...

What did he thought after knowing about Hiroshima and Nagasaki? I've read some fragments of his books, and he seems a nice guy after all.

test

high test

>Soon after his wife Arline died, he got a short telegram stating that the trinity test will be conducted on July 16, 1945. He rushed to Los Alamos and witnessed the thing [famously he was the first person to see it‘directly’ (he viewed it through windshield) as everyone else saw it with googles]. Feynman mind was rather happy that all the calculation that they had done worked perfectly. When the news came that the bomb was dropped in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the reaction of the people at Los Alamos was elation and excitement. Feynman was also involved in this happy thing- he was drinking and played drums sitting on the hood of a jeep, while at the same time people were struggling in Hiroshima.

>I returned to civilization shortly after that and went to Cornell to teach, and my first impression was a very strange one. I can't understand it any more, but I felt very strongly then. I sat in a restaurant in New York, for example, and I looked out at the buildings and I began to think, you know, about how much the radius of the Hiroshima bomb damage was and so forth... How far from here was 34th street?... All those buildings, all smashed — and so on. And I would go along and I would see people building a bridge, or they'd be making a new road, and I thought, they're crazy, they just don't understand, they don't understand. Why are they making new things? It's so useless. But, fortunately, it's been useless for almost forty years now, hasn't it? So I've been wrong about it being useless making bridges and I'm glad those other people had the sense to go ahead.

Wouldn't the guy who discovered metal be so sad about swords?

Wouldn't it be better without chemistry so there would be no guns?

If only no one had ever discovered fire, we couldn't have burned all those witches and so forth.

So... no remorses?

bumpo

Stop with the false equivalence: If you stab a single person, that doesn't mean everybody else in an X mile radius is going to start gushing blood. There is no use from nuclear weapons except genocide.

>There is no use from nuclear weapons except genocide.
wow, stop posting any time.

Heavily depressed but he got through it.

> What is the intended use of a nuclear weapon? Large-scale destruction
> Why have they been used yet? Because we are afraid of nuclear fallout, as they are too destructive to be used for their original purpose

What am I missing exactly? You anime-watching mental midget

A man running with a knife can kill 10,000.

Facetiousness is kinda irritating when their are posters who really believe that the dude who invented metal is somehow comparable to the person who helped develop the nuclear bomb

You said the only purpose for nuclear weapons is genocide, which is retarded.
You may have heard of a little something called "Mutually Assured Destruction".

I described that explicitly in the second point of my second post. The M.A.D doctrine- its name originating as one of Von Nuemann's sick little jokes- is fairly simple: if we try to blow them up, they blow us up. This originates from the deadly (and long-lasting) effects of even a single device. But even then, after abandoning all of the theories which relate to the obvious reason for their existence, the original point stands: you won't see a H-bomb helping an old lady to cross a street.

they don't build bombs with legs
baka

You got me

Actually, fuck it. I am mad. Your bait has successfully enraged me. From the way you took you took a metaphor seriously, to your weeaboo insult, you have proven yourself to be full of shit, congratulations

woah buddy

Anybody building nukes today is using it as a diplomatic tool. Their weight is more in the threat of their use than their actual use.

Everyone wants to get in on the "If you hurt me I can hurt you back" train, not on the "I can genocide you if I feel like it" train. Save for maybe a few nutjobs.

Your assertion that there's no use except for genocide is simply dumb. It's like saying there's no reason for the death penalty except for killing criminals, when in reality (where effective or not) it is seen as a deterrent. Whether you believe MAD as a doctrine is effective or not, that is a use for your nuclear arsenal that doesn't require its deployment. It's leverage.

alright, smug anime grils aside
what was your original point?
that feynman should be crying bitch tears over his role in creating nuclear weapons?
all you've posted is a question about his thoughts on hiroshima and nagasaki and then a greentext quote.

I feel like if Dr. Feynman was alive today he would be here shitposting amongst us

I'm reacting more to the attitudes of a number of people on this board who have in the past belittled the destructive capabilities (ecological, societal, technological, etc) of nuclear bombs. There are people on this board who laugh off the very real possibility of a nuclear war and its ultimate effect on the world at large as hippy propaganda, so when someone compares to something as relatively innocuous as a sword (or even a chemical weapon for that matter), it tends to grate. My original statement regarding nuclear weapons was meant to be divorced from the theories that have sprung up after its original conception, ie the scientists during the Manhattan project made it specifically to the fighting capabilities of an enemy country and shorten a war. That may be a banal point, but it apparently needs to be said.

Regarding the M.A.D doctrine, it should be noted that there are a lot of people who question its effectiveness. Indeed, there are many well-documented times when we have come close to obliterating each other, and probably many other untold times which were either ignored for their supposed irrelevance, or because of how embarrassing they would be to their respective countries. Things like this should not be left to either human or technical error. What it has inspired, however, is a nuclear arms race. We are now capable of destroying everything many times over, all thanks to our inability to truly trust each other as far as we could throw our missiles.

In fact, he was that kind of guy.