The Trinity

Is The Trinity biblical?
Or is it pagan?

Will i go to hell for not believing in The Trinity?

Since pagan was a term devised by Christians to refer to non-Christians, anything that's Christian (and Christianity doesn't exclusively derive from the Bible which was compiled later in Christian history) is by definition not pagan.

I mean then is it non-biblical/heretic

There were early Christians that didn't believe in the Trinity. And there are Christian Unitarians, Jehova's Witnesses, Mormons to this day, proving that the Doctrine of the Trinity is not essential to Christianity.

there are trinities in ancient indian and egyptian religion, also slavs and other peoples devised similar concepts

How could it be? It's Christian, therefore not pagan. Pagan only means non-Christian.

Whoa, it's almost like every religion is trying to convey some sort of metaphysical truths. Interesting.

>one substance; three persons
But why stop short at three though? The hindus extrapolated the concept to millions of gods. Why shouldn't I believe that all the gods of all the pantheons of the world are different persons of the same godhead?

Yes.

three legs keep a stool well balanced

None, it's a Catholic construct. The bible never explicitely states that those three are the known forms of God. Even the idea that Jesus is God (or only his son) is kind of subjective. No wonder they had a lot of debate about it.

>orthodox don't believe in the trinity
Kys

You didn't have to believe in the Trinity in order to be a Christian before 325 AD, and even today. It'a cool word construct, but it fails logically.

Orthodox wasn't a thing until the 11th century, before that Greek Christians were considered Catholic too. Or rather, orthodox and Catholic used to mean the same thing.

There is one God (Deuteronomy 6:4; Isaiah 45:5-6). Yet there are three persons presented as deity in Scripture: the Father (John 6:27; Colossians 1:3), the Son (John 1:1-3, 14; 8:24; 20:28-29; Romans 9:5; Titus 2:13; 2 Peter 1:1; Hebrews 1:10-12) and the Holy Spirit (John 14:16-17; Acts 5:3-4; 2 Samuel 23:2-3; 2 Corinthians 3:18). Lastly, these three are presented as distinct persons (John 8:16-18; Luke 11:1; 3:21-22; Galatians 4:6). Thus from Scripture we learn that although there is one God, there are three distinct persons who are deity. So the Trinity is the biblical position to hold to once one examines what Scripture teaches.
Yes

>triad = trinity

Well i gotta prepare myself for hell then.

>I went to the fair and bought three apples
YOU BE SAYIN THAT YOU HAVE A CONCEPT OF THE TRINITY?

The level of this board, I swear.

Or you could repent and believe the gospel

I dont really. I enjoy my anime and collecting figures. And the concept of living eternal in a place where anything never happens scares me

No, even atheists can go to heaven these days

It's a tab, don't charge too much.

It's neither.

Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life!

Francis pls go.

>And the concept of living eternal in A place where nothing happens

You have a poor understanding of heaven. It's living in the Grace of God for eternity. That you think you need sin or evil for it to be interesting shows how corrupted we've become.

You would still have your anime and your figurines on Heaven, you could build new ones and keep making new and different anime. Discover so many new things (God is infinite after all and can keep creating new things for us to discover). Not to mention that boredom only comes from earthly pleasures and our earth-bound body. God could make it so we don't get bored, make it so our memory is cleansed so we can keep discovering the same things over and over. The possibilities are infinite.

Ok this sounds kinda nice. I like collecting lewd figurines. Is it a sin if i dont masturbate to it? I just like looking at them but i guess I feel lust too when i buy them

4 can do a better job

In fact, one solid stump in the shape of a cylinder can do the best job of all

It's mostly not understanding equivalence relations. I swear, every time I see that graph with "is" and "is not" about the trinity I lose further braincells.

I mean, masturbation was only added as a sin if it was an obsession. Jesus and Moses specifically targeted adultery as a vice.

So as long as it's not an obsession you could do it. We're flesh and sexual urges are something we simply have.

I don't really know about how the concept of lust applies to drawings and sculptures. Obsession about them is obviously a sin and not healthy, but if you were to appreciate the beauty of the sculpture/drawing Without obsessing about it I can see it not being sinful.

>But why stop short at three, though?

It has to do with the Middle-Eastern influences on all popular religions. There wasn't a stop - there were always 12 beings in chairs of influence. The older pantheons, while having a multitude of gods, always had a trinity on top.

Historically, the Judeo pantheon also had a triad - El, Asherah and Yahweh (Yahweh being, Israelites national God). The rest were designated as Elohim (Ilahín in many contemporaneous records). After the advent of divided Kingdoms and Babylonian exile, the scribes and priests edited much of the polytheism, deleted Asherah and syncretized Yahweh with El. The Dead Sea Scroll attest that Yahweh was one of the 70 sons of El and Asherah.

The Greek Pantheon has 12 gods, 3 set of early fighter - Zeus, Poseidon, Hades. 3 set of ruling elite - Zeus, Hera and anyone, depending on the city (Patron).

>The Hindus extrapolated the concept to millions of gods

It's a mistranslation and a misattribute from later Hinduism. There are 33 Gods not 33 million.
12 of them are Adityas - 7 solar and 5 inducted deities. The trinity are Indra-Vishnu-Rudra. Or Older, Indra-Mithra-Varuna.

The NT preserves many images - 12 judges in Revelation. The Holy trinity of Godhead etc.

Theologically the explanations are as numerous as the denominations. Historically, they are influences of Mesopotamian religions.

Isaac Newton didn't

that's all the proof I need desu

very informative.

Yes, Arius was right all along

Arius and Marcion literally, figuratively, metaphorically, allegorically did nothing wrong. Trinitarians were the retarded cousin that happened to most brute force.

Newton didn't what?

Read the bible, heretics

Christian maybe, but not biblical. The trinity is not in the bible in the sense of there being a god that is 3 in 1.

See

Nice vague scriptures, but you would think that a doctrine supposedly so central would get at least one unequivocal statement.

not if you believe in our Lord and Savior KJV

It's Biblical, but only because Trinitarians rewrote the bible.

>God could make it so we don't get bored, make it so our memory is cleansed so we can keep discovering the same things over and over.
Is this heaven or hell

>this is what Muslims actually believe

uhh, the church wrote it and they can rewrite it. just cause Muhammad was a guest star on touched by an angel doesn't mean everyone thinks their book is perfect.

Trying to judge an eternity in heaven with our feeble human minds is something that simply doesn't work. What has been said is that we will live in the constant presence of God's grace. I just explained the infinite possiblities that exists. With God Almighty, there are infinite possibilities indeed.

muh sekkrit club

I do: John 17.1 - 5

>When Jesus finished saying these things, he looked up to heaven and said, “Father, the time has come. Glorify your Son, so that the Son can glorify you. You gave him authority over everyone so that he could give eternal life to everyone you gave him. This is eternal life: to know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you sent. I have glorified you on earth by finishing the work you gave me to do. Now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I shared with you before the world was created.

Jesus literally saying that He is not God

>Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I shared with you before the world was created.

As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world. (John 17:18)

>Jesus literally saying that He is not God
Where? Because I see Jesus claiming to have shared glory with the Father before the world was, something only God can claim.

>But why stop short at three though?
Because the trinity was a doctrine that was created to reconcile contradictions in scripture. There seems to be a weird view outside of theology that the trinity was just 'made up', like one day some Bishops got together and said "Hey you know what would be rad? If we had THREE Gods that were all actually ONE God, that'd so so mystical and cool!". Like your question 'why stop short at three' implies that theologians back then just made shit up and could add Gods as they pleased.

Even in the earliest days of Christianity Jesus Christ was seen as God incarnate. Scripture also pointed to the idea that the 'Holy Spirit' was divine and yet also somehow separate from the father. So somehow people had to reconcile the ideas that Jesus was divine, the Father was divine and the Holy Spirit was divine, but there is only one God as is reinforced constantly in scripture, boom, trinity.

The point is the trinity is a biblical concept made up to reconcile contradictions in scripture, it didn't just appear out of thin air it was created specifically to reconcile the fact that scripture says there is ONE God but THREE divine beings. Why did they stop at three? Because scripture stops at three. That's it.

Just warning you guys before you get baited too hard that you're arguing with a Muslim who thinks the Bible has errors in it.

The Hindus have more than 33 gods; it is a number mentioned in the Vedas and expanded in the Upanishads to emphasize the infinite nature of the reality. It is not meant to be taken literally, but including all the local gods there are well over one million recognized gods in Hinduism. It also depends on the specific sect you are looking at, some are monotheistic, some polytheistic.

Neither of those are Christian

Masturbation is always sin, as is artificial birth control.

no it isn't