twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Such a good meme

this thread blows

>these borders
I'm triggered

I cry all the time.

Rofl holy shit

stop making these cancer threads you fucking plebbit shits

literally beginning the thread with iFunny shit, jesus christ.

Hahaha

Fuckin kek

fuck off

Brits plz

holy fuck, Hitler BTFO how will he ever recover?

what the fuck were the japs thinking not surrendering after the first bomb?
>that first one was surely just a lucky blow, destroying the entire city and all that

The second bombing was three days after the first one, they didn't have the time to fully assess the situation and respond.

It is dishonorable to surrender in Jap culture.
Funny thing is that the Big Six, wanted more time to negotiate favorable terms, yet after the 2nd bomb, he accepted all the terms imposed by the allies.

He being the jap emperor.

This. The real question is, why did Americans drop the second bomb so soon? If only they gave Japs more time to comprehend what the fuck just've happened they would have surrendered anyway.

To be fair the US was awfully jumpy at using the second one and there were concerns that the japs were just going to eat it and try and call the US bluff that they might not have a second one. The second bomb pushed Hirohito over the edge and lead to the surrender but probably was a little excessive. We'll never know but the alternative was invading Japan which would have been even worse and possibly rivaled the eastern front in loss of life.

>Uh, one of our cities is entirely missing. Does this have something to do with this threat about "prompt and utter destruction" we received from the hwaitto piggu?
How the fuck could you even hallucinate having that position

The Japanese High Command responsible for prosecuting the war required the unanimous assent of all members to ratify decisions. The high command included military officials who were deadset against the unconditional surrender for a number of reasons including the disgrace it would bring as well as that a surrender would likely mean their own deaths in post war incriminations at the hands of the occupying powers (as was happening in Germany at Nuremberg).

Thus they wanted to prolong the war and use the grisly prospect of an ambitious invasion as leverage to wring out concessions like keeping their overseas possessions, maintaining the divinity of the emperor, being allowed to conduct post-war trials through their own justice system etc...

The Emperor essentially overruled them and planned to announce the termination of the war effort on the Radio and certain military elements attempt a coup and tried to kidnap the emperor as well as other peace-favoring politicians to avoid surrender. It didn't work and the Emperor's radio message effectively brought resistance to an end.

Qualitatively speaking a nuclear bombing isn't necessarily any worse than any other type of strategic bombing. The thoroughly conventional bombings of Dresden, Tokyo, etc. were comparable to Hiroshima and Nagasaki in terms of destruction.

So it's just a new weapon, a new bomb. Can they drop more (there was a third one on the way, but then there would be a delay)? How often can they do it (~once per 10 days)? Can they afford to (yes)? Are there means of preventing it (arguably it's easier to stop a single bomb than all of thousands)?

These are all things one would need to consider. I mean, the 1945 production capacity was one nuke per 10 days. What if it had been 60 days? What if it had been 1 hour?

Why is the Anglo the master of bombing?

You have a toddler's understanding of warfare.

>ylyl
>>>/9gag/
>>>/facebook/

>not having the one going east returning as chinese

Why is Anglo the master of being bombed?
Fixed, don't forget how hard her ass was bombed during the Battle of Britain

>Inchon
>something the US had planned out in WW2
>impressive
Somebody needs the Ridgway-pill to realize that MacArthur was an incompetent who nearly lost Korea when the Chinese got involved.

these threads suck, literally always the same shit being posted

memeball threads used to be good too

make OC people, this board is pretty small and I guarantee most people have seen this shit before

tl;dr: fog of war

Fuck off m8, history can be funny.

Yes, but YLYL threads can't.

It should be added that the destruction of cities wasn't a 'pressing concern' for the militarists plans. Since their plan revolved around making an amphibious invasion for the Allies so costly that they would negotiate a favorable settlement it didn't really matter how many cities were burned down since that didn't have a great affect on their ability to defend against an invasion.

Simply put, for the militarists, the atomic bombs did not change the fundamental calculus of their plans so its reasonable to see why they wouldn't surrender after 1 or even 2. Half a dozen more wouldn't really have changed their outlook on the current state of the war. In the end it took the Emperor himself overriding them in an unprecedented act of personal authority to bring the war to its conclusion

>Implying Bismarck wanted a greater german solution

I can agree to a certain degree, my apologies

>TOP SECRET
>General Hull and Colonel Seaman - 13 Aug 45

>H What General Marshall wants to know is the status of the development of these bombs now so we can best determine how to use them. There's one of them due up the 23d as I recall it.

>S There's one ready to be shipped - waiting on order right now.

>H The question arises as to whether to start in the movement of them out there according to the old schedule or whether they should be shipping in accordance with our next operation. Two of them have had a tremendous effect on the Japanese as far as capitulation is concerned. The next one won't be effective in that respect. In other words, the Japs will or will not. General Marshall feels we should consider now whether or not, dropping them as originally planned, or these we have now should be held back for use in direct support of major operations but their dropping should be in conformity with their priority. That's the idea. What we want to know is what the program is now so we can report on it.

>S The whole program is phased according to the best production. There is one of them that is ready to be shipped right now. The order was given Thursday and it should be ready the 19th.

>H If the order is given now, when can it be ready?

>S Thursday would be its readiness; the 19th it would be dropped.

>H In other words, three or four day advance notice before it can be shipped, and six days after that when it can be dropped.

>S That's figuring it so it will be safe. Then there will be another one the first part of September. Then there are three definite. There is a possibility of a fourth one in September, either the middle or the latter part.

>H Now, how many in October?

>S Probably three in October.

>H That's three definite, possibly four by the end of September; possibly three more by the end of October; making a total possibility of seven. That is the information I want.

>S So you can figure on three a month with a possibility of a fourth one. If you get the fourth one, you won't get it next month. That is up to November.

>H The last one, which is a possibility for the end of October, could you count on that for use before the end of October?

>S You have a possibility of seven, with a good chance of using them prior to the 31st of October.

>H They come out approximately at the rate of three a month.

>S We are still in the midst of development - you will appreciate that.
>The possibility will have to be considered that there might be a dud. Going through the development, we are changing amounts and proportions of the active material so that certain ones may or will have lesser power. They may be more nearly equivalent to the one at Hiroshima than the one at Nagasaki.

>H Tell me this - are they all coming out of the same pipeline or do you have two establishments?

>S No, sir. It is out of the same pipeline.

>H In other words, they will be spaced fairly evenly then; about one every ten days.

>S The biggest gap will be between the one now and the one for the first part of September. After that, I would say approximately one every ten days.

>H That will continue even after the first of November, we will say.

>S Every ten days.

>H That gives me the information I want.

>S Except in September, we can only count on three in September, counting the one now. Don't figure the rate of three a month, until starting with October. One now, one definitely the first part of September, one the middle of September and possibly the latter part of September. Three from now until the end of September, and three a month thereafter.

t.

>H That gives me the information I want. Now, on each one of them, whatever the plan may be of decision, we can figure how long from the time it is produced until the time it is out there ready for use.

>S From the time of its readiness here, I think we have been using six days. We have allowed for weather en route, possible change in air crew.

>H That is the information I wanted. The problem now is whether or not, assuming the Japanese do not capitulate, continue on dropping them every time one is made and shipped out there or whether to hold them up as far as the dropping is concerned and then pour them all on in a reasonably short time. Not all in one day, but over a short period. And that also takes into consideration the target that we are after. In other words should we not concentrate on targets that will be of the greatest assistance to an invasion rather than industry, morale, psychology, etc.

>S Nearer the tactical use rather than other use.

>H That is what it amounts to. What is your own personal reaction to that?

>S I have studied that a good deal. Our own troops would have to be about six miles away. I am not sure that the Air Forces could place it within 500 feet of the point we want. Of course, it is not that "pinpoint". Then the stage of development has to be considered. The work it is liable to be used for the more or less has to be the explosive effect. It would be just a gamble on putting or sending those troops through.

>H Not the same day or anything like that. We might do it a couple or three days before. You plan to land on a certain beach. Behind which you know there is a good road communication and maybe a division or two of Japanese troops. Neutralization of that at some time from H Hour of the landing back earlier, maybe a day or two or three. I don't anticipate that you would be dropping it as we do other type bombs that are in support of the infantry. I am thinking about neutralizing a division or a communication center or something so that it would facilitate the movement ashore of troops.

>S That is the preferable use at this time from that standpoint. The weapon we have is not a penetration weapon. The workmanship is not as good as possible. It is much better than average workmanship. We are still developing it though.

>H From this on more or less of the timing factor, how much time before the troops actually go into that area do you think would be the safety factor? Suppose you did get a dud or an incomplete explosion, what safety factor should you consider, one, two, three days?

>S I think we are sending some people over to actually measure that factor. I think certainly by within 48 hours that could be done. Everything is going so fast. We would like to train people and get there in a combat spirit to do that. I think the people we have are the best qualified in that line. Of course, as you say, if it is used back in a kind of reserve line or in a reserve position or a concentration area but that you wouldn't be up against right away.

>H I don't think you would land at eight o'clock in the morning and you would drop it at six o'clock, but the day before, even from the tactical standpoint without regard to when it fails to go off or something like that.

>S Another thing you may be likely to consider is that while you are landing you might not want to use it as it could be a dud. It is not something that you fool around with.

>H I would appreciate if you would discuss that angle with General Groves. I would like to have his slant on it. That is the question, how do we employ it and when do we employ it next? It has certainly served its purpose, those two we have used. I don't think it could have been more useful than it has. If we had another one, today would be a good day to drop it. We don't have it ready. Anyhow within the next ten days the Japanese will make up their minds one way or the other so the psychological effect is lost so far as the next one is concerned in my opinion, pertaining to capitulation. Should we not lay off a while, and then group them one, two, three? I should like to get his slant on the thing, General Groves' slant.

THE END

Bet this is a document the Japanese staff would like to have on hand at noon on the sixth of August, but they didn't.

Why do primary sources always kill Veeky Forums threads?

Is Veeky Forums allergic to primary sources?

>Falling for the Anglo propaganda that the bombing was proportionate in any way.
Chat shit get hit Naziboo.

>not two_towers.jpg

RIP my niggas Kahama. Scorn the bitch Eve for introducing sin to the world allowing the atrocities such as this. Is life even worth living after such remorseless killing can be done outright? Why have we been cursed with this burden, this nightmare to endure. When will we be next?

Rolling domino effect. Take school shootings for example. Next Tuesday 8 kids get shot up in Missouri. Media drives it hard, "how can this happen?". Story burns out after a few weeks. Emotions burn down. 6 months later it happens again. Same media cycle and emotional response.

The difference would be if a horrific school shooting happened, the media cycle begins, only to be followed a couple days later with another grizzly attack. Boom, legislation would be driven home.

Nukes are the same brah

That was very interesting to read, but you're in a meme thread, doubt most people give a shit

dude was so clearly trolling but it's funny nonetheless

What the fuck was his problem?

The eternal kahama

Hahaha pol on suicide watch

Could I get context on this?

IT WAS JUST A PRANK COMRADE

Kek'd and saved

Because Veeky Forums thrives on disagreement, often virulent and stupid disagreement. If you have something that is clear and of good authority, it kills debate by proving one side right, at least most of the time.

Pic related is both sad and funny

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phryne

Kek

Started playing Venice in EU3, at one point I attacked Bizantium just because they left my trade leuge and it was moment when they were invaded by Otomans.

Not only that, but invading Japan would had cut the island half by the superpowers like Germany or Korea.

Everyone likes to brag about the loss of life, which I think wouldn't had been that horrid, or at least wasn't a main concern for the Allies as the US didn't have that much loss in that point and Stalin always could throw a few million slavs there. Ensuring the strategically that Japan stays on the Western side was more important to the US than the loss of life.

Fucking lost

Because primary sources should never, EVER be taken at face value. That's why secondary sources are so important, as they identify the strengths and limitations of the sources.

Mother of kek this is beautiful

>you should always submit to the established narrative rather than investigate the issues directly

alri

Remove this now!!!

Lurk at least 3-6 months before posting

If you're going to come to a site that has a very unique culture and etiquette, than actually fucking learn and respect it instead of flaunting your newfaggotry and shitting all over everyone else.

>muh super sekrit club