Austria

Did the Austrians ever achieve anything revolutionary or important in warfare? From the Napoleonic wars to ww1 they are pretty much a second rate miliyary power, everyone shits on the Russians but they had Suvorov, Brusilov e.t.c.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eab_eFtTKFs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They started the French Revolutionary Wars and WW1

And, if you think about it, world war 2 as well

France started the Revolutionary Wars

they are irrevelant meme country..I cant name a single multinational brand from there

Actually, Britain did.

Red Bull ?

Britain started the Napoleonic Wars, a year after the end of the Revolutionary Wars

France technically started the Revolutionary Wars, by declaring war on Austria after Austria threatened them

You're right, Britain did the NW. I should've read more carefully.

off the top of my head cuirassier cavarly and rifle using light infantry (jaegers).

>Suvorov, Brusilov e.t.c.

Eugene of Savoy

Hussars too...

>overrated fag whose jealousy toward Malborough allowed the French in just one battle to recover all the territory they had lost since the beginning of the war

Eugene should be forver shamed for the Battle of Denain

dude I'm jealous of Malborough. I mean it's cool to be contrarian and all but Prince Eugene had a hell of a career by pretty much all standards.

Charles of Lorraine too.

Prince Karl Philipp directed the Coalition victory at Leipzig.

Thanks for the responses, this wasn't a shit flinging thread, i genuinely wanted to know, since most documentaries dont focus on Austria and the general picture is incompetent leadership.

Unrelated but muh dick on the mitre/bearskin their grenadiers had.

>be a great power for hundreds of years
>never known to be even slightly competent when it comes down to fighting a war
even after the reforms of Maria Theresa before and during the seven years war, they weren't comparable to the French or Russian armies

They were a huge country with a huge population, surrounded by small neighbours with small populations. The only country bordering Austria in central Europe would bethe Ottoman Empire, but by the XVIII century their armies were largely obsolete

Well they did go autistic "REEE" on Serbia which resulting in most monarchies being destroyed in Europe.

Which did cause WW2.

So yeah I guess thats at least something.

The Austrians achived a great amount of cohersion despite their army consisting of so many ethnicities, they had achieved religious freedoms (that is after having been extremely catholic) giving rights to protestants, jews and muslims equaly, they had the best kinds of cavalry for centuries (their Kuirrassiers and Huszars had no equal) and they somehow had a very effective war economy despite its vast complexities and bureaucracy.

Touché.
Idk about other countries, but here KTM is a highly respected, top quality synonym motorcycle brand.

Furthermore the Josephinian reforms had allowed the average foot soldier to look more equal to his superiors with the simplification of the officer uniforms (Goethe had once noted how simple yet practical the Habsburg uniform looked compared to the other western europeans) and physical discipline was outlawed.

Thank you, i have also read about their cavalry, being the finest in Europe at the time, very curious, not often mentioned. How simpler where they uniforms?

>i have also read about their cavalry, being the finest in Europe at the time, very curious, not often mentioned

Hungarian cavalry was very good at some point (they invented Hussars), but it wasn't during the Napoleonic Wars
During the Napoleonic Wars, French, Polsih and Russian cavalry were he best

Yeah we often overlook the cavalry altogether due to Napoleon's skill with infantry but Austrian cav was truly great, from the moment they saved the empire in 1618 to the very days of ww1, if i remember 6 of the 8 Kuirrassier regiments were czech/moravian, 100% of the Huszars were hungarian, the Ulhans were all polish and the rest of the cav was german or italian.

The uniforms were simple in the way that Josephinian reforms (very progressive ones) had limited the ornamentation of officer uniforms (which formally were decorated as much as each officer decided). The coloured cuffs/collars identified each regiments and the rest of the uniform was basically off-white with little to no lace or embroidery (as opposed to the French/British/Prussian grandeure)

The simplicity of the uniforms also allowed changes to be made extremely fast, where yellow-topped bearskins were missing in one regiment, they were shipped from another and when coats were few, they changed the collars on them.

Torpedoes.

Also they were an early adopter of grey uniforms as camouflage, along with the Prussians.

Thanks for the elaboration, these threads are rare, when one can actually learn something without memes and shit flinging. Those are great illustrations, do you have any more by chance?

np m8

and yeah i collect these haha

Habsburg forces bumb?

this is pretty much it for Austrians

wouldn't it be a real bitch keeping those white uniforms clean after marching/fighting/shitting yourself

supposedly they were relatively easy to clean as you could just chalk up any grey/black part or stain and the white colour was also very cheap compared to the dark dyes used by france or prussia

Black powder smoke, which was produced in large quantities during battles, was grey in color. As it filled up the battlefield, soldiers wearing grey uniforms, especially Prussian grey, became harder and harder to see and target. Thus you probably did not want to keep your white uniform white, but rather let it become dirty.

That's a good observation, but wasen't the point of the colourful uniforms and hats to, some degree, to identify your own forces and not to fire at them? i also read that companies were sometimes trained to fire in directions and not at targets so much the smoke was thick so did it actually matter how much the enemy was visible at all?

Art Nouveau

Any and all cover is desirable in a gunfight or battle. Militaries today still use smoke as cover. An enemy knows there is a target behind that smoke, but not knowing where to aim can waste a lot of ammunition that may be needed later.

You should be looking at the backs of your own troops, and the enemy the front. Flags and colors can tell you where units are located without presenting individuals as targets to aim at. Area fire is always wasteful compared to point.

>Habsburg forces bumb?

go right ahead

Steyer manufactures pretty popular weapons
Magna provides steel
Austrian trams are used as far as Dubai

Nearly 50 posts in and still no mention of Radetzsky youtube.com/watch?v=eab_eFtTKFs

the one who got thrashed by frederick the great?
loving every laugh

Well, they're the only place still using olive drab in their uniforms while the rest of the world has switched to various kinds of camo patterns. Olive drab with modern equipment is Veeky Forums as fuck.

bump