Veeky Forums approved kino and shows

Veeky Forums approved kino and shows

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=m-lWF100yTM
youtube.com/watch?v=y7lhMAOxLxw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Pic related has some good Nietzschean themes.

>cancerous /tv/ meme
>the duellists
I'm left conflicted

Mongol was good as fuck. It's a shame that Russian bastard director dragged his feet on the sequel and now it's not going to happen.

Also to piggyback on this, were there swords that looked like this that were used historically. I think they look incredible and at a glance I think they're reasonably practical but I've never seen historical artifacts, paintings, etc. where they look exactly like this. Only in Mongol and the Marco Polo show. I know nothing about sword construction so I might be missing something on how the weight and balance would work but they're honestly my favorite non-euro style swords aesthetically.

Rome, Band of Brothers and Vikings are good history tv

Green berets with wayne

Master and Commander : Far side of the world

>inb4 its fiction

yes but its a great historically accurate depiction of naval warfare, plus its not boring at all, the battle scenes are fucking amazing, the sound of the cannons crushing the hull, the overwhelming creaking and moving of the wood of the ships, fucking amazing.

RealCrusadeHistory memes aside, I thought Kingdom of Haven was a good movie.
It has a nice feeling to it, with the costumes and the sets, and I like the overall mood.

You don't want those waves on the cutting curve.
Yes, its more blade to cut with, but it also gets caught in the clothes and fabric, and drags on it instead of cutting it.

It would look more like this...

... or like this, with the blade on the other side, if you are using it with a shield on foot.

/tv/fag here. IMO that is the one of the best Veeky Forums films ever made and it's on youtube too.

youtube.com/watch?v=m-lWF100yTM

see
also; Der Untergang is the single best WWII movie of all time IMO

I don't much care for Der Untergang personally.

Off the top of my head I think The Thin Red Line, Fires on the Plain, Ashes and Diamonds, and Army of Shadows are all better WWII films (Army of Shadows is the best of those).

Is the swordfighting Veeky Forumstorically accurate?

youtube.com/watch?v=y7lhMAOxLxw

What about the manners and speech of the aristocracy?

The wave isn't the edge, it's just a pattern on the blade. I'm just wondering if there were swords that were that thick with that kind of a curve.

The only reason I can think for having that weave is to make the blade lighter, but this is normally done by cutting fullers, not by removing area.
Not sure if its a structurally sound design. Also, consider that what looks cool today, after 50 years of comic books, toys and fiction, didn't necessarily seem cool to the mongols.

So my answer is: I don't know of any such blade, so I assume it isn't historical. I am willing to read more input if someone has though.

in the image posted above the blade has a sort of serration

not sure historically if it's accurate but putting waves on the cutting edge of the blade would be accomplished by filing down stock or a heat-treated blade

it would serve as a form of serration, increasing the surface area of the cut itself, allowing for multiple cuts for form in a single wound

as far as how useful or realistic it would be in combat it'd be about as effective as any other curved-blade such as that with negligible increase in wounding (scimitar)

in a single wound channel*

is what i meant to say

It does a better job of hiding that it's choreographed than most movie duels do. This part in particular is pretty much spot-on, apart from that absurd wind-up Guthrie does at the end, but it's probably excusable because he's tired. In the later fight between Rob Roy and Cunningham it's pretty good too. Really the only giveaway in that one is the part where Cunningham sticks his sword up for no reason and Rob Roy bats it down, it's an old trick used to signal the next part of the choreography but it wouldn't make any sense to do it in an actual duel.

>What about the manners and speech of the aristocracy?
The dialogue is really well-written, Alan Sharp outdid himself. In terms of the accuracy of it, Argyll and Montrose would probably speak Gaelic amongst themselves, but then so would most of the characters, I guess them speaking English is more for the benefit of the viewer. In real life Argyll was actually the one with the English accent, since he was raised in England, but the movie goes to some lengths to show Montrose as being a bit of an Anglophile so it makes sense that he has one.

Actually on the one I posted here it does have the wave on the edge. Didn't notice it actually, my bad. But still I just meant like a fat ass, long cavalry saber