Almost every fucking Coin is tied to Bitcoin, thats why everyone lost money today

Almost every fucking Coin is tied to Bitcoin, thats why everyone lost money today.
So basically if you invest in crypto currency you just gotta hope that Bitcoin will go through to roof and you will make profit. Just the amount of your profit depends on your choice of the altcoint currencies. Also vice versa with loss. Am I right with this assumption?

I was looking at which coins didn't fall horribly and seeing if there's something more to them after this, it's interesting to see which ones didn't crash.

why are you still looking at value in USD implying you will one day cashout? These coins will replace fiat hombre, switch your blockfolio to BTC mode only and watch how steady this market is today.

This senpai. If you cash out to fiat you better need that money now and you better replace it when you can afford to. We're replacing (((their))) currency never forget it.

well, if I wanna buy a car for example for 10k USD for example it will be most likely 10k after a week, while it can go up or down a full bitcoin in the same time period...New to crypto, correct me if Im wrong

>everyone lost money today
Speak for your self asshole. My altcoins more than made up for LTC dip.

Stop buying shitcoins like BTC and you'll do great.

>Almost every fucking Coin is tied to Bitcoin
>focusing on everything that's crashing while bitcoin has a big dip instead of looking high and low for coins that were thriving
The next time bitcoin crashes, I'll be watching you tear your hair out from the moon.

can we not discuss this shit for 5 minutes without some alt-right retard de-legitimizing it with their moronic conspiracy theories

I made a few bucks shorting ETH/USD yesterday but I don't short too often because it's risky and a bull market where dips are only temporary

hebrew alert
hebrew alert

prepare the ovens

sorry for the noob question. Shorting means just that you sold ETH for USD at a higher price and bought the same shares back when the value was at a lower point, right?!

I want /pol/ to leave

Basically yes

Shorting ETH/USD implies:
1. Borrow ETH
2. Sell ETH immediately
... wait ...
3. Buy ETH at a lower price and return them

Interest is paid in USD

In practice, you just click "short" and get the price difference in USD once you click "close". Everything else is automatic in the background

P.S. be careful with shorting
It's easy to shoot yourself in the foot with it

My worst losses were from shorting

I've been in for about 1.5 months now and I still look at things in USD. I feel more accomplished that way.

thx for the answer. two follow up questions though if thats okay.
Who do you borrow it from and what happens if you fuck it up and cant pay back to the lender?!

The credit is either provided by other users or by the exchange itself.
All exchanges liquidate your position before it would default. The algorithms are usually tuned well, so defaults never happen.

Bitfinex & Poloniex: funds provided by users (who earn considerable interest on it)
Kraken: funds provided by the exchange (but limited until you get fully verified)

Coins based on Ethereum are less tied and have been showing signs of being more and more detached lately. I think a few other will eventually go on to do their own thing as well.

Bitfinex allows unlimited margin trading with USD pairs, without any verification. (It really is USDT)

Nowadays I only margin trade x/USD pairs, never x/BTC, because the latter is very unpredictable.

Oh so shorting is part of margin trading, which I coincidentally also researched today. Think I got it now, thanks. Wont touch that thing with a ten foot pole though before I get a much better understanding of crypto currencies and trading.