Veeky Forumsx/ thread

Veeky Forumsx/ thread

What's the spoopiest thing to have happened or might have happened in history?

The more obscure/bizarre/terrifying the better.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamam_Shud_case
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sankebetsu_brown_bear_incident
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_Masks_Case
snopes.com/horrors/ghosts/russiansleep.asp
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_Plague_of_1518
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chorea
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roanoke_Colony
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voynich_manuscript
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brabant_killers
youtube.com/watch?v=lgSvyYr6AA4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Suiyang
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_children_of_Woolpit
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatoly_Moskvin
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

One of Australia's PMs disappeared when walking along the coast.

The Russian sleep experiment

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamam_Shud_case

The Wolf of Gevaudan, and the time a maneating wolf pack broke into Paris one winter and started terrorizing the place until the townsfolk fought back with a city-wide hunt

Rasputin had some fishy stuff going on almost certainly

>One of Australia's PMs disappeared when walking along the coast.
>walking along the coast
He went for a swim in incredibly sketchy waters

Christianity itself.

will o whisps are a widely reported anthropological phenomenon occurring consistently in oral tradition around the globe in swampy areas, but are unconfirmed scientifically as existing phenomena.

reminds me of this

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sankebetsu_brown_bear_incident

>Veeky Forumsx/
>not /x/his/

in 1941, archaeologists located in ussr excavated timur's tomb which had an inscription that read whoever opened it would "unleash an invader more terrible than [him]". two days later hitler invaded

Rasputin's death.

spooky ooky

sugar cancels cyanide

Dont get the pic. What is that?

Chorea during plagues

Once the plague is established in a city, the regular forms collapse. There is no maintenance of roads and sewers, no army, no police, no municipal administration. Pyres are lit at random to bum the dead, with whatever means are available. Each family wants to have its own. Then wood, space, and flame itself growing rare, there are family feuds around the pyres, soon followed by a general flight, for the corpses are too numerous. The dead already clog .the streets in ragged pyramids gnawed at by animals around the edges. The stench rises in the air like a flame. Entire streets are blocked by the piles of dead. Then the houses open and the delirious victims, their minds crowded with hideous visions, spread howling through the streets.

The disease that ferments in their viscera and circulates throughout their entire organism discharges itself in tremendous cerebral explosions. Other victims, without bubos, delirium, pain, or rash, examine themselves proudly in the mirror, in splendid health, as they think, and then fall dead with their shaving mugs in their hands, full of scorn for other victims. Over the poisonous, thick, bloody streams (color of agony and opium) which gush out of the corpses, strange personages pass, dressed in wax, with noses long as sausages and eyes of glass, mounted on a kind of Japanese sandal made of double wooden tablets, one horizontal, in the form of a sole, the other vertical, to keep them from the contaminated fluids, chanting absurd litanies that cannot prevent them from sinking into the furnace in their turn. These ignorant doctors betray only their fear and their childishness. The dregs of the population, apparently immunized by their frenzied greed, enter the open houses and pillage riches they know will serve no purpose or profit. And at that moment the theater is born. The theater, i.e., an immediate gratuitousness provoking acts without use or profit.

The last of the living are in a frenzy: the obedient and virtuous son kills his father; the chaste man performs sodomy upon his neighbors. The lecher becomes pure. The miser throws his gold in handfuls out the window. The warrior hero sets fire to the city he once risked his life to save. The dandy decks himself out in his finest clothes and promenades before the charnel houses. Neither the idea of an absence of sanctions nor that of imminent death suffices to motivate acts so gratuitously absurd on the part of men who did not believe death could end anything. And how explain the surge of erotic fever among the recovered victims who, instead of fleeing the city, remain where they are, trying to wrench a criminal pleasure from the dying or even the dead, half crushed under the pile of corpses where chance has lodged them.

O-oh

I remember reading about a Roman legion (or a smaller unit, but still a considerable number of soldiers) that dissapeard in Britain. Eyewitnesses said the unit passed through a valley when a cloud of mist descended to the ground. After the last soldier passed through the cloud, the mist rose back up to the sky, and the Roman soldiers were no where to be found.

My grandfather told me a story what I was a kid that his own grandfather told him. His grandfather was conscripted to the German army during WWI and the man in a trench a little after him, including the commanding officer, saw what they described as your run of the mill demon-looking creature, moving about further away from their trench, concealed by the mist. The crew fired at him with all they had to no apperant effect; he just kept leaping about. It all ended after the officer asked for an artillery barage in order to "kill the devil". That's when a higher ranking officer was alerted to the scene to stop the men from wasting their ammo on an apparition. Apperantly when he arrived it was already gone. I'm not sure if either of my grandfathers made it up but it's a neet story. If it really happened then I'd imagine it's the stress of the war conjuring mass hysteria in the ranks.

Also the Mary Celeste and Ourang Medan, two ghost ships whose crew's whereabouts are unknown.

Transubstantiation

Roanoke

Even spookier is that when they put the bones back, Hitler surrendered.

That's extra spooky man

They gave the body an Islamic burial just before the victory at Stalingrad, not just before Hitler surrendered.

ourang medan is an urban legend, the ship never existed

The Bronze Age collapse is pretty damn spoopy to me

Marian apparitions accurately predicting freemasonry would take over the papacy, Russian revolution and WWII.

The men who died in the lead mask
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_Masks_Case

>"it is alleged.."
>alleged
>from the USSR
yeah, no

Would the USSR try and push some spiritual shit like that

bump

This guy right here, Roman von Ungern Strrnberg, was a bit nutty if that counts. He tried to take over Mongolia during the Russian Civil War and claimed to be a descendant of the god of War, and preferred Mongols to his own Russians.

>The Russian sleep experiment

snopes.com/horrors/ghosts/russiansleep.asp

how is that /x/-related

>The decline of the Late Bronze Age civilizations of the Mediterranean and Near East has puzzled historians and archaeologists for centuries. While many have ascribed the collapse of several civilizations to the enigmatic Sea Peoples
>Enigmatic Sea People's
>Sea People

Wait, what the fuck

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_Plague_of_1518

>snopes

letrashman.png

moreover, would they admit to fucking up?

The Celeste was probably an alcohol explosion.

Tunguska explosion is pretty spooky.

Imagine if it happened over New York or London

There are records from several Mediterranean civilizations, all around the same time I believe, of people invading from the sea and taking away everything they could and laying waste to everything else they came across. The only ones known to have resisted them are the ancient Egyptians, and even they couldn't figure out who these people really were or where they came from.

They were most likely Cretans or Western Anatolians.

Tyre, one of the world's first colonial-nautical empires, was located just north of Israel, and had colonies in Sardinia, Spain, Troy, and Carthage.

>Chorea during plagues
What exactly is that?

The latest dance trend in West Africa.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chorea

Still one of the most fucked up things I've read about

You must not read much, then.

What the one about to man who was found on the beach dead with a uncrackable code written on a piece of paper in his pocket?

See

has anyone else heard of the legend of some village where the inhabitants mysteriously vanished and the only anomalous clue was a door with the word "KRAKATOA" carved on it or something

Isn't that a volcano or something?

nvm found it
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roanoke_Colony

the word was "CROATOAN" and it was carved on a fence post

i remember reading about this in a textbook

Pretty sure the Bronze Age collapse predates Phoenician expansion. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It's terrifying that hundreds of people can just mentally snap at any time. It demonstrates just how erratic the human psyche is, and that is horrible to think about.

Croatan was a name of a nearby indian tribe. Nothing misterious about it, they just moved to their village because they realized they can't farm enough food.

Perhaps not terrifying, but rather bizarre. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voynich_manuscript

No such indications.

The Sea People were the Greeks motherfucker.

Agamemnon, yo.

Rye bread that became contaminated with mold.
Essentially LSD.

It would have saved millions of life as the eternal Anglo would have been then unable to destroy Europe

You mean the guy who was so fucking scared of crossing the Aegean he sacrificed his own daughter for safe passage?
Doesn't sound like a full time salty sailor to me.

The Brabant Killers are scary as fuck, Veeky Forums related because they were probably right wing anticommunist guerrillas trained during the cold war in case of soviet occupation

>group of 3 men kill 28 people over 3 years in the early 80s
>commit robberies of small amounts relative to the extreme risks they take
>bystanders are shot dead in the parking lot before the gang enters the supermarkets
>children are shot from as close as a foot away while cowering on the floor
>gang members wore bizarre face paint, disguises and taunted or roared at victims
>the getawaydriver was highly skilled; escape routes were fast and non-obvious, often to forested areas where the cars were burned.
>no evidence has ever been found besides the possible body of one gang member buried near a car they torched
>special police force called the belgian gendarmerie never intervened even if close by
>the belgian "stay-behind" network SDRA8 (gladio) was made up mostly of gendarmerie officers
>NATO behind-the-lines units are known to have used the planning of robberies as a training exercise.
>gendarmerie are eventually abolished after failing to catch a serial child kidnapper, rapist and murderer despite arresting him 3 times
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brabant_killers

that's one of the theories. not sure if you're familiar with the case but there's still yet to be hard evidence of where the colony ended up found

>Settlement failing
>We don't know how to grow any fucking food
>People dying of famine and other causes related to our shoddy dwellings
>Brown people come over on boat
>Oh my god they're the most beautiful creatures we've ever seen
>Lemmesmash.parchment
>Beautiful brown people invite us to island to smoke pipe, eat jerky, and bang their women
>Abandon garbage settlement and go live in paradise
>Write name of island on a tree so future settlers can join in the fun

Not really a mystery, user

deserved it 2bh

That's metal as fuck.

stalingrad starvation

Haha absolutely no history happened in that expanse of time the USSR existed, we'll memed brother

leningrad I meant

Andes plane crash 1972
The Iceman's rat cave videos
The dude that kept human bodys as dolls in his house until the rotting became absolutely unbearable

>The Iceman's rat cave videos
youtube.com/watch?v=lgSvyYr6AA4

Delphine LaLaurie

>slaves found in the upstairs quarters were “emaciated, showed signs of being flayed with a whip, were bound in restrictive postures, and wore spiked iron collars which kept their heads in static positions”. Some servants were found chained atop crudely constructed tables while others were confined in metal cages intended for dogs. Some had been doused with honey – ants, cockroaches, and rats gnawing away at their helpless flesh. The scene was so horrifying, hardened firemen retreated from the room in horror while others fainted at the sight.

It was reported that many of the slaves imprisoned in the quarters were male, stripped naked, and chained to the wall with their eyes gouged out or penises removed. Their fingernails had been pulled off by the roots. Some had their joints skinned.
some slaves were found with the flesh on their bodies cut away. Some were found with their ears hanging by shreds. One was found with animal excrement stuffed into his mouth, his lips sewn together. Others were found with their hands sewed tight to their bodies (and one with body parts from another slave sewn to his body). One report told of a slave who was discovered with his intestines pulled out and wrapped around his waist while another in a similar state had her intestines nailed to the floor. Another was found, alive, with a hole drilled into his skull, a wooden stick dangling from the hole. It was believed the LaLaurie enjoyed applying pressure to the stick, forcing it through the slave’s skull, in order to 'stir the brains'
one victim had her arms amputated and her skin peeled off in a circular pattern giving her the appearance of a caterpillar. Another was found with her limbs broken and reset at odd angles so she resembled a human crab. It was said that when approached by rescuers, she set out a high-pitched, hissing scream” as she scurried into a darkened corner.

That's horrifying

Any more info on these guys? Google search dry asf, need more resources

Dancing plague

wow, what a jerk

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Suiyang

>20,000-30,000 civilians were eaten

not exactly spoopy but horrifying nonetheless

They tested this, you can have an alcohol explosion that leaves no burns or other obvious evidence.

It makes sense, that would have spooked the crew enough abandon ship.

/x/his/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_children_of_Woolpit
>The legend of the green children of Woolpit concerns two children of unusual skin colour who reportedly appeared in the village of Woolpit in Suffolk, England, some time in the 12th century, perhaps during the reign of King Stephen. The children, brother and sister, were of generally normal appearance except for the green colour of their skin. They spoke in an unknown language, and would only eat beans. Eventually they learned to eat other food and lost their green pallor, but the boy was sickly and died soon after he and his sister were baptised. The girl adjusted to her new life, but she was considered to be "rather loose and wanton in her conduct".[2] After she learned to speak English, the girl explained that she and her brother had come from Saint Martin's Land, a subterranean world inhabited by green people.

You talking about this guy?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatoly_Moskvin
>Anatoly Yurevych Moskvin (Russian: Mocквин, Aнaтoлий Юpьeвич, born 1 September 1966) is a Russian academic and linguist from Nizhny Novgorod, Russia, who was arrested in 2011 after the mummified bodies of twenty-six[1][2] girls between the ages of three and fifteen[1][2][3][4][5] were discovered in his apartment. After exhuming the bodies from local graveyards, Moskvin mummified the bodies himself before dressing and posing them around his home. Moskvin's parents, who shared the apartment with him, had glimpsed the mummies but had mistaken them for large dolls.[1]

After a psychiatric evaluation, it was determined that Moskvin suffered from a form of paranoid schizophrenia. In May 2012, Moskvin was sentenced to court-ordered psychiatric evaluation[6] and has since been held in a psychiatric hospital.[2]

I read the mist one in a book about an australien/french (I dont remember) platoon in turkey, in ww2

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_children_of_Woolpit
Even the Devil would be disgusted

When the gods tell you to sacrifice your fucking kid you do it, no questions asked.

Seriously this is theology 101, true just as much with YHVH as it is with the Greek gods.

>When the gods tell you to sacrifice your fucking kid you do it, no questions asked

Yeah, if you're a little bitch maybe

tf does that do?

It's the bread (body) and cup (blood) becoming physical flesh manifestations

In the end it was used as a morality lesson that human sacrifice = bad. Clytemnestra killed Agamemnon because of it.
And didn't he come to the conclusion to sacrifice his daughter on his own?

Why the fuck would they do that? I mean I know about all kinds of religious extremism but why?

>Emperor Xiaohui supposed his mother would not plot against King of Zhao as several months had passed without any occurrence. Nevertheless Empress Dowager had an assassin force venom down King of Zhao's throat....She then had Concubine Qi's limbs chopped off, blinded her by gouging out her eyes, cut off her tongue and locked her in the latrine, and called her a "Human Swine" (人彘). Several days after, Emperor Xiaohui saw the "Human Swine", and after realising that it who the "Human Swine" was, the emperor was so sick of his mother's cruelty that he virtually relinquished his authority and indulged in carnal pleasures.

>a harmless religion itself that has been abused throughout history
Oh damn, how terrifying.

Something something Dyatlov pass incident
[spoiler]not really that spoopy cause they most likely got shrekt by an avalanche, but it's a cool read nonetheless[/spoiler]

>It was said that when approached by rescuers, she set out a high-pitched, hissing scream” as she scurried into a darkened corner.
Wubwubwubwubwubwubwub
ah fuck it, I'm going to hell.

>religion steeped in misogyny, violence and ignorance that millions of mouthbreathers think is real
fixed for ya, homo

>In the end it was used as a morality lesson that human sacrifice = bad.
It was nothing of the sort.

>And didn't he come to the conclusion to sacrifice his daughter on his own?

No version I know has this be the case.

(In fact the oldest narratives have her explicitly alive during the Trojan war, since in the Iliad Agamemnon tries to appease Achilles by offering her hand to him)

You don't understand. That picture was bread and wine before it was sanctified. At which point it became flesh. It's miraculous. Look it up