What are some Veeky Forums-approved history books?

What are some Veeky Forums-approved history books?

Other urls found in this thread:

thesun.co.uk/news/2900725/historian-sir-anthony-beevor-faces-five-years-in-russian-jail-over-claims-stalins-red-army-raped-german-women/
pastebin.com/xFsDqcd9
pastebin.com/mAwavvZf
pastebin.com/WjiP2qcT
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

literally none

the hobbit

Mein Kampf.

Did J. Peterson finally sort himself our and rediscovered his feminine self?

Leftypol loves guns germs and steel

The Bible.

Why would that be a lefty thing? Doesn't it refute their minorities suppression excuse?

The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire
only the commented edition though

Here's my list of easy-to-digest Veeky Forums books. These books are good for both people who are just starting to study history and Veeky Forumspanics who live and breath this science.

The Rise and Fall Of The Third Reich by William Shirer
This book is somewhat outdated but it still provides a great inshight into the 3rd Reich
>Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman
A good book if you want to learn more about the last few months before WW1 and the beginning of the war itself
>The Proud Tower by Barbara Tuchman
The book is about the events that were happening in the world 1890-1914 and why the Great War happened
>All Hell Let Loose by Max Hastings
The best book about WWII. It's not the most in-depth piece of writing about the war but it is great if you want to have a general understanding of the conflict
>The FIrst World War by Martin Gilbert
The same as All Hell Let Loose but about WW1. Really good
>A History of France by William Stearns Davis
This one is a lesser-known book. It gives you an understanding of French history from the Romans and until the treaty of Versailles
>Lords of the Sea by John Hale
A must have book if you are into naval history and naval battles. Covers the golden age of Athens and te Athenian navy
>A History of Venice by John Norwich
Easily the best book about the Republic of Venice
>City of Fortune by Roger Crowley
The second best book about Venice. This one only covers the rise and fall of the Serenissima and not the entire history of that country
>Carthage must be destroyed by Richard Miles
A great and informative book about Carthage and the Punic wars
>History of The Persian Empire by Albert Olmstead
Not much to say about this one. Read this one if you want to learn about the Persian Empire.
>Holy War by Nigel Cliff
An awesome book that covers Vasco da Gama's voyage and the Christianity vs Islam war

These books are going to be more than enough to give you a very basic understanding of the most important historical events

Your "most important historical events" list is pretty threadbare.
Mentioning Venice in it twice makes it all the more absurd.
Books are nice though, I guess. Their reviews check out.

The republic of Venice was one of the most important countries in the world dturing the late middle ages and early renaissance
Most major events are covered in that list. I left out Byzantine empire and the Western Roman empire because there are too many good books about both of those countries.

Hmm may buy that History of France book on Amazon, although I have a hunch I may have already bought it.

You also left out ancient Greece, Egypt, Mesopotamia, Persia, China, Mongols, India, Japan, colonization, scramble for Africa, revolutions in France, America and Russia, the empires of Spain, Netherlands, Portugal, and so on, and so on.

What books would you recommend for those?

guns germs and steel

>ancient Greece
Lords of the sea
>Mesopotamia
You're right
>Persia
History of The Persian Empire by Albert Olmstead
>China
I don't even what to suggest
>Mongols
I've read plenty of books about the mongols in Russian but none of them were ever translated
>India
A bit of Indian history is covered in Cliff's "Holy War"
>Japan
I know next to nothing about Japan so you're right
>colonization
Covered in some of the books that I've mentioned
>scramble for Africa
You're right, I didn't mention anything about that
>revolutions in France
Covered in Stearns's book
>America and Russia
Most people here are american and they probably know their own history. As a Russian, I have no need for books aobut my country's history in English. That's why I can't recommend any.
>the empires of Spain, Netherlands, Portugal
"Holy War" is based around Portgal. Hugh Thomas wrote decent books about Spain. I don't own any books about the Netherlands.

The Fault In Our Stars

I got some books on Rome by M. Grant lying around, are those any good?

>reading Anglo accounts of non-Anglo topics
Get the fuck out.

Wow I guess I have to throw away my JM Roberts and Mary Beard now

Mein Kampf

Im a retard, but commented by whom?

Jeez, Peterson is such a tool

Nobody gives a fuck about those.

They are just anglo aggregates of other accounts.

Who are you speaking for when you say "nobody"?

David M. Glantz and Memoirs of the Eastern Front are good sources of the Eastern Front, especially on the Soviet side that aren't overblown stereotypes and full of inconsistencies.

Beevor's "Stalingrad" is also good, goes in depth about the battle, but does it from a 3rd person and shows many accounts

Craig's "Enemy at the Gates" is another good one, but does include accounts from civilians, generals, Soviets, Germans and POWs

Applebaums "Gulag: A History" is indepth about the Gulag system of the 20s-80s, goes brief over the psychiatric 'prisons' of the 70s and 80s of the USSR.

My picks:
The Decline and Fall of the Ottoman Empire
Worlds at War
Napoleon's War
Iron Kingdom
Mediaeval Greece (Cheetham)
Masters of the Sea
China Wakes
My Four Year's in Germany
the most recent John Adams Biography
American Lion
Though I don't know what exactly you're looking for.

Bump.
Recommend some more books, user

that's all i got atm. these are all preliminary and i hope to edit them to remove some typos and other errors in the future. if anyone has any chart requests though for a specific period or theme or country i'll try to make

Quality posts lad. Thanks

any given modern historian, Edward Gibbon has interesting ideas but only should be read with a pinch of salt

woops this is the more complete version

I'd like to see the following :

Soviet Union
Confederacy & USA
British Empire
HRE/Austria

good picks. I've basically collected all the works for a habsburg charts (pre-1860), a bohemian/czech chart anda kingdom of hungary chart. Still collecting material for austro-hungarian empire and prussia. I've only just started getting stuff for HRE, which is gonna be a fun challenge. Soviet union, civil war and british empire charts should be easy to make.

Several questions, though: what style do you prefer the charts in? would you prefer something condensed into a small list of works, or do you prefer the longer lists I've made? the advantage of the former is that it makes it easier for the beginner to choose, but given that i've not read many of these works any choice i make will be arbitrary. The advantage of the latter approach is that there is more choice and variety and if an user chooses some introductory work he doesn't like then he can pick up another one listed. I'm also not sure whether to keep doing lists with just text such as or start doing charts like , which are easier on the eyes?

i'll add that the picture chart took very long to make while the text charts are a lot shorter. So I may start out with text charts but hopefully in the future I can make picture charts. Another thing that may happen is another user who's dedicated to a certain topic might hopefully read all the works on a chart and make their own condensed list.

I prefer text only desu, but I'm just a simple user

To the truest of the true American Civil War fanatics, I can recommend War of the Rebellion: The Official Records of the Union & Confederate Armies.

The name will trigger Southerons and it is realistically chaotic, but if you desire first-hand knowledge of those who commanded that war it is quite good.

Poor Beevor! He wanted to be an honest historian, but the Cult of Victory wouldn't allow it.

thesun.co.uk/news/2900725/historian-sir-anthony-beevor-faces-five-years-in-russian-jail-over-claims-stalins-red-army-raped-german-women/

In B4 attack of the vata

ok i'll do them in text, i'll see if i can make some today

For the time of Augustus I recommend The Roman Revolution

swords, insects and aluminium

You are doing some great work there lad

Any recommendations for Charlemagne/the holy roman empire?

This, don't listen to all the Christposters who trashtalk Gibbon, it's still mostly accurate and beautifully written.

This seems like a good thread to ask. Can anyone recommend me a book on the first 6 months of WW1?

Just read pic related and i'd recommend it to anyone who wants a in depth look at operation Barbarossa.

What happened to the library of alexandria thread and why was it never stickied?

it theorizes that europeans are more successful than other ethnic groups due to an abundance of food and herd immunity to diseases due to our easily domesticated livestock and crops. in essence, white people are on top due to being dealt a better hand by nature, rather than becuase they are more hard working and honest and civilized etc. white supremacists (right wingers) dispute the claim

Anyone yet made the Canaanite/Israel recommendation list?

Christopher Clark's Iron Kingdom: The Rise and Downfall of Prussia is a very good read encompassing all of Prussia's history from Hohenzollern ruled Brandenburg to the end of WWII. Haven't finished it yet, but it really is a decent book that gives a lot of interesting facts that have been largely ignored or forgotten about Prussia.

Everyone who's not an Anglo.

Hitler's Willing Executioners is a scholarly enquiry into how the Nazis managed to exert the degree of control they did over ordinary Germans.

He actually used the nature argument only when it could be used against Europeans, while bringing race up if some results where made by other ethnic groups. It's an extremely racist book, while at the same time it doesn't bring any good point to the table (the idea of disregarding culture in the evolution of a society is beyond stupid).

You need to go back.

>only should be read with a pinch of salt
Why? Is it because he said that the roman empire fell because of christianity?

no i'm on it user. i had to get hold of the books, and now im on the stage where i'm collecting all them together

After reading Gorbachevsky's account of the war (Through the Maelstrom) he describes how 4 red army men raped German women. He still questions why that part of the war was covered up.

I still don't understand the Cult of Victory and I'm a Russophile.

Would you recommend Through the Maelstrom? I have yet to read a book from the first hand account of a Russian soldiers on the eastern front and i'm having difficulty in finding a good one that has been translated into English.

Bump

Parallel Lives by Plutarch

It's just some momentary enantiodromia user. He's all up on some Jung as you know. He's been under a lot of stress lately. I'm sure you'll understand that he could just throw some make up on like that and breath a sigh of relief then return to the bastion of masculinity

Read the Gulag Archipelago

bump

I mostly read Soviet Memoirs of the Eastern Front, so yeah. It's one of the more detailed ones.

For Penal Battalion memoirs I recommend " Penalty Strike" by Alexander Pyclyn who was an officer of a penal battalion. Really discourages the Western notion of them.

I've yet to expand on the German accounts of the Front.

Anything about ancient China?

Hitlerland is better imo.

almost done making the list. will post soon

I'll help you guys afterward

Is there anything good on Switzerland? anything is good culture, war, economics, cetra I'm not necessarily picky as long as it's centered on Switzerland

do you know german or french? cause the best books on switzerland seem to be in that language

anyway i put books i can find in english on switzerland in here user

Bumping this patrician thread

damn forgot link
pastebin.com/xFsDqcd9

new pasta

pasta part 2

ehh if someone can get good pictures of ancient israeli insignias or maps or artifacts to replace the dinosaur pictures. i regret putting those kek

bump

I really was not a fan of this book. I found it way to bias and trying to push a narrative.

I think pic related is the superior Holocaust book.

Bump

You gonna pump out some more, lad?

of course! it just takes quite a long time to cut down the list, organize them in categories and format it, otherwise i'd make them all pretty fast. do you have any recs or something?

Just appreciate the work lad. You inspired me to read some more his related stuff

Are there any made on ancient Greeks? Or the English/Italian/Flemish Renaissance?

Bump

thank you, user. I'm glad you find it useful. Hopefully you'll find something you like.

i'm just starting making lists for the greeks it's ambitious but i'm gonna make lists on mycenaeans/minoans, archaic greece, athens, sparta, classical greece, hellenistic greece, hellenistic kingdoms and alexander the great.

>English/Italian/Flemish Renaissance?
I haven't done anything on England yet. What exactly to you mean English renaissance? Stuff like thomas more, john colet and hans holbein the younger stuff? Or just England during the renaissance period (c. the tudor dynasty, 1485-1601)? As for the italian renaissance, I also have a very large list of works jumbled together. I have also do have valois burgundy/ medieval low countries thats more completed, but I have yet to decide how to organize it (habsburg vs. valois burugndy?, separating valois burgundy from the early social and economic developments of the low countries (i.e. before 1360s when valois dukes took control)? I may well do different ones to see which is the best. For now though, I'll let you look at the burgundy list.
pastebin.com/mAwavvZf
I've also purposely kept artistic and cultural stuff to a minimum, though, because that needs a list of its own. There are just too many works on the Northern Renaissance (though I have included any art historical stuff as it relates to the Burgundian court or the main cities of flanders).

He literally doesn't disregard culture. He acknowledges that several times. He only uses the environment to explain why the old world (Eurasia and North Africa) advanced far ahead of everywhere else. Read the fucking book

btw the general periodization for that pastebin is like burgundy from around 1300 to 1550. other lists will deal with the dutch revolt, the dutch republic and the southern netherlands

I updated the first Ancient Middle East chart.

did you even read the book

Thanks user and honestly I am a proficient reader in german, french? god no but german yeah.

ok, well in that case here's a bibliography to early modern switzerland
pastebin.com/WjiP2qcT

I would recommend Edwin Yamaguchi's treatment of Persia, in Persia and the Bible. Though a more conservative perspective I think a more wide range of views is required.

*Yamauchi

its on there in the ancient persia section unless you mean give it a special recommendation