DIP

Mmmmmhhh, French onion dip. Mmmhmhhhmmm! MMMHHHHMMM!

This is the DIP, the Discussion Improvement Project. Let's talk about what the individual Veeky Forums user can do to improve the quality of discussion on the board.

Examples for what we could do in this thread:
>find out what needs improvement
>find out how it could be improved
>find out what this means for the individual user
>gather resources, e.g. books about proper argumentation & logic, guides on how to cite sources, books about epistemology and scientific methodology, guides on how to read _well_
>create resources such as macros describing how one can make his point most succintly, how one can identify where the disagreement of two posters really is

>Nazi/Hitler general
>WW1, WW2, Napoleonic Wars general
>American Policy General
>own board for religion and philosophy shit
>more mods to discourage excessive shitposting and /pol/posting
>OP can make maximum of two threads
>encouragement for users to use the fucking archive, no need for the same threads about the same topic all the time

Besides that somehow trying to avoid that most threads die with just 5-10 replies.

Also try to get some basic decent discussion going on for at least some threads, so that people with actual understanding or willingness to learn about the topics might return and lift the general level of discussion a bit. Right now in the vast majority its mostly shitposting on Veeky Forums

Reporting and hiding every /pol/ thread would be a good start.

I made a thread comparing the French and Russian revolutions a few days ago, and it devolved not to /pol/ shitposting, but rather to christian bibleposting.

I'd rather discuss with holocaust deniers than with people quoting scripture as if its objective fact and posting fedora.jpg if you disagree.

>this thread is already devolving into le /pol/yp/christard/edgy nihilist/gommie boogeyman shitposting

& Humanities was a mistake. Theist debaters should fuck off to Veeky Forums

The thread is in fact pointing out problems.
When a thread about the Russian revolution has more posts quoting the bible than posts talking about Bolsheviks, you have problems.
When a thread about west African kingdoms has more posts talking about crime rate in modern day USA instead of Mali or Songhai, you have problems.
When a thread called "historical memes" or "what is your favorite john green video" has more posts than any other thread, you have problems.

We need to get rid of, as follows:

>Turkposters
>Frenchposters
>/qa/posters
>alt-ards that are not willing to give up name-calling

>Reporting and hiding every /pol/ thread

Good in theory, but you have those who think anything WWII-related or any critique of communism or leftist elements is /pol/.

>& Humanities was a mistake.
>implying most shit isn't from the "History" part

The only good history threads are Armour and weapons threads.

Because religion has nothing at all to do with history right?

Pointing out problems is fine, but the accusations being made here are literally scapegoat-tier.
>Germany is suffering becuz DA JOOOOS
>Veeky Forums is suffering becuz LE BOOGEYMEN
You won't get rid of all your problems by forcing a specific group out. You need to affect change within the community itself while not trying to stifle conflicting opinions. If the people are smart, they'll listen to reason and switch over to the correct side. If they're dumb, they'll eventually leave when they realize their words are falling on 'deaf' ears. If they're factually correct, then their opinion will spread naturally as people side with their arguments. If they're factually wrong, then just report, hide, sage, and move on to another thread.

The discussions in theist threads have absolutely nothing historical about them. It's either atheist vs theist shitposting or discussions about meaningless religious minutia like intinction

>forcing out the murderers won't solve our murder problems, folks. just chill and talk it over.

>Turkposters
Turkposting was the best thing that could've happened to this board, since it kept both /pol/ and lefty-/pol/ occupied wallowing in their own shit of hypocrisy and arbitrary "standpoints" while keeping the local evangelists focused on him instead of shitting up threads they felt "attacked" their ideology like rabid dogs.

He was the Sultan that we needed but not the Sultan we deserved.

When posters like enter history thread and ruin them posting creationist memes it does get upsetting.

They can keep to their containment threads, just don't spread.

>own board for religion and philosophy shit
T H I S

The fact that you even compare this situation to a murder spree is baffling and indicative of the cancer that is killing Veeky Forums.
Stubbornness and a general atmosphere of "My opinion is objectively right, your opinion is objectively wrong" is at fault here, not your boogeymen. This is a place for debate and civil discussion, not for "Them vs. Us" mentality.

>Stubbornness and a general atmosphere of "My opinion is objectively right, your opinion is objectively wrong" is at fault here, not your boogeymen.

What makes you think that this opinion of yours is objectively right, and my opinion disagreeing with you is objectively wrong?

/rel/ - Religion & Spirituality

Sounds perfect.

But this already exists here

Nothing. This is merely me voicing my opinion. Ignore it if you want, but if that's the attitude you and others are going to take towards anyone's opinion that you disagree with, I highly doubt this thread will get anywhere.

It is the attitude you are taking to my opinion, because you disagree with it.
Your rhetoric simply defeats itself. Its not how things are done. There are those who are right and those who are wrong.
Bringing up black american crime rates in a thread about Egypt is wrong. Bringing up the Bible in a thread about Moghul rule in India is wrong.
Calling anyone a demon or Satan because they express views relating to brain chemistry as the source of emotion is wrong.

People who are wrong should be told to fuck off. Maybe they eventually will that way.

>People who are wrong should be told to fuck off. Maybe they eventually will that way.
I disagree. People who are told to fuck off will instead feel compelled to remain, because they look at their opposition as "idiots who need to be enlightened to the truth". By telling them to fuck off, you are merely egging them on. It is better to simply report, hide, ignore, and move on.

TL;DR don't give them bait.

>Cite primary sources or academic papers and articles to back up claims

>Don't result to ad hom attacks, don't argue from a position of superiority, insure that your sources are correct first before putting down others and accept that your information may be wrong or outdated

>On a board about humanities, people will hold different beliefs than you and that's okay.

>On a board about history, make the primary focus of study about the academic and objective understanding of history rather than using history as a tool to reinforce your own political and religious beliefs. While it is important to understand the mistakes of history so that they are not repeated, cherry picking events and people thousands of years ago to use as precedence for why x is bad or good is misguided at best and purposely disingenuous at worst.

>Limit threads that are blatant shitposting and pissing contests. JANITORS DO YOUR FUCKING JOB (FOR FREE)

>Always remember the 25 Year Rule and before you post a thread, reread it and judge whether the actual subject of the post is older than 25 years. THIS INCLUDES HUMANITIES. Muh modern politics and movements are not immune from the 25 year rule. If you're making a thread on feminism it better fucking be about Wallstonecraft or Beauvoir

This is a shit dumb thread and OP is an actual autist

>Let's talk about what the individual Veeky Forums user can do to improve the quality of discussion on the board.

Not post about French onion dip for one.

Sage every stupid thread after mocking it's creator for two.

>>Cite primary sources or academic papers and articles to back up claims
The lack of source citing almost makes me want to have it be required to link to one when making a thread, like on /news/. Too bad that this would be very stifling when you just quickly want to open a thread.

wtf is this "DIP" meme all of sudden like it's some real thing

Widespread cursory knowledge of rhetoric would vastly improve the quality of discussion.

>want to make highbrow original content for fellow Veeky Forumsterics
>virtually nobody has the historical knowledge necessary to get them
>instead mock-facebook posts and /pol/ style crusader jokes are posted by the same 2 people in every thread

It's a half baked attempt to prevent this board from devolving into the shithole that is /pol/