What's Veeky Forums favorite work of art?

What's Veeky Forums favorite work of art?

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/culture/2005/apr/27/1
youtube.com/watch?v=A92BJ6XiWbA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Worship of Mammon by Evelyn DeMorgan
Not my favorite but I love the hell out of this picture, it perfectly depicts the condition of being a shill.

This one.
I like the time period and it looks cool.

However, this one is a close second

This is my new favorite realist painting.

>t. Foucault

George Gittoes portrait following the Kibeho massacre, Rwanda

I love this piece

Is ricotta the most degenerate of cheeses?

Not a fan of baroque?

not one piece, but Gustave Dore's Divine Comedy woodcuts are really nice

too many good ones desu, but this one is probably one of my favourites

Hot. What is it?

Agreed. They pretty much set the standard. Who would have imagined the sight of heaven would be so terrifying.
That impish look on her face is amazing. Artist?

we need more art threads, good thread OP

Is he left handed or is it considered more convenient to have to reach all the way around your body to get at your sword? Is it harder to get it out of the scabbard if it's on your right side or something?

The War Cripples (or perhaps just War Cripples, I can never remember) by Otto Dix, fuck the Nazis for destroying the original (and for a host of other reasons).

I'm very fond of Otto Dix's inter-war material in general.

I just noticed the card with the alphabet on the last man's jacket and realized he has to point at the letters to communicate because he can't talk. That's a touching detail that I never caught before

Dix had a knack for humanizing his subjects by emphasizing their least appealing details.

Literally me.

manchild messiah?

Laocoon and His Sons

:v)

I caught myself imagining them chatting away sculpting that, talking like
yo, snakes gonna fuck you up! I better let people know about that shit.

It's a perfect combination of that pastoral life as well as the military.

>is it considered more convenient to have to reach all the way around your body to get at your sword?
Yes, its much easier to grab your sword from the left with your right hand and vice versa.
See: other historical paintings and literally any piece of media with sword fighting.

This is such a simple concept even my 5 yr old nephew puts his toy lightsaber on his left hip. How do you not know this?

The classic of course.

A gimp in a poof suit?

lol wat

Pretty common but i've always liked The Scream. Even as a little kid I was fascinated by it

It's a depiction of a mythological event, not a PSA sculpture about the dangers of snakes.

can you prove that?

The best question on Veeky Forums yet.

Have you ever read the poem that goes with it? It was when I was delving into metaphysics and my brain just kept crying, that I came across this painting and it finally made sense to me. It's a brilliant existentialist piece.

I give him one of the finest examples of Hellenistic and that was what he decided to post

*art

The fighting tamarine by turner

so you like his taste, that proves that.

Just read a 30 page article on the history of the sculpture. There's a good chance it's not from Ancient Rome at all and was made in the Renaissance. Whatever the origin, it's easily one of the greatest works of art of all time.

Temeraire*

I meant of all the things to take away from the sculpture that was what he commented on.

I first saw it in my Humanities class, from what I understand it was a Roman marble copy of a Greek bronze. I agree, one of the most impressive sculptures Ive seen from any time period

It was found in Rome in the 16 century

Here's a condensed version of the article talking about Laocoon and how it could be a fake.

theguardian.com/culture/2005/apr/27/1

This was the first piece to invoke emotion out of me and thats why its my favorite.

OP here, I also responded to you earlier. Very interesting read, definitely food for thought. I read at the time that the positioning was pretty novel for the High Classical Period, but I still think its an original.

>not a PSA
Greek mythology is one big PSA about how to not be arrogant/prideful/greedy etc.

These 3 are among my favorite, I also like the garden of earthly delights, that hellish top right panel is the shit

youtube.com/watch?v=A92BJ6XiWbA

this

Not sure if its my favorite painting but I really like this one. Its a funeral in a 19th century French town, by Courbet.

My absolute nigga.

Garden, Kiss, and Laocoon are all in my top ten

This does look nice, but people say that it's greater than even the Mona Lisa. How?

AH-1z super cobra. Flying sculpture of practicality and death. The most beautiful thing I have ever seen.

Those people are wrong.

Are you fucking retarded

Really easy find boys. Just a hint, famous artworks can fucking always be found through google image search.

>Anonymous
good taste

I FEEL HOW PALES MY FACE OF A CLOWN
FOR I HAVE JUST READ THE SMOLENSK HA FALLEN
BUT WHERE IS SMOLENSK, WHERE'S KRAKÓW

WHY DO ALL PEOPLE HAVE FACES OF ICE
WHY DO THEY BURROW IN LIGHT DARK CORRIDORS
WHY DO I ALWAYS HAVE TO WALK THE EDGE
WHY OF MY VOICE SO LITTLE REMAINS

I have a hard on for vanities and any memento mori

>tfw the version you want to post is larger than 4MB

guess this'll have to do

How is it possible for someone to do such detailed artwork using woodcuts?

I'm actually very impressed. Just how?

Going old-school

But seriously, fuck snakes.

Cus those are metal engravings I'm pretty sure anyway

I know, but sometimes i like to encourage people/ give them the chance to express their knowledge the good ol' fashion way.

my favorite lately anyway

No that is provolone

Actually for a lightsaber it wouldn't matter that much

Ricotta is a wholesome cheese enjoyed by bon-vivant italian farmers in a pastoral setting. I would say it's very red pilled if anything.
Pic related is degenerate cheese.

IIRC Foucault loved that painting and wrote a dissertation on it. He argued that it's an excellent psychological painting that leaves a lot of fascinatingly mysterious non-dits, breaks the 4th wall and brings us closer so that the mystery of the scene hits us even harder.

I love this one if only for the symbolism

>SAY HELLO TO THE GROUND, FUCCBOI

That's an illustration, no? Are illustrations art?

Literally anything can be art. Art is a feeling, not an object.

Probably a stupid question but how have i saved images off this site before that when i've tried to post again it says it's over 4MB?

It could be almost anything. Probably some fuckery with the metadata though

Please note that this is a pure guess with nothing to back it up, but what it sounds like to me is that all files uploaded to the Veeky Forums database are hashed into an index with a hash function and what happens is that once in a blue moon the resulting hashes have a duplicate, so the wrong index is accessed and wrong file information retrieved.

somebody posted a bunch of these in pol and I like them because i'm and edgelord.

I think they're ww1 veterans

I see you watch Nerdwriter too.

There's something uncaningly beautiful in this one.