GOLEM - convince me it's not useless

Golem has a cool website and the supercomputer buzzword, I can see 15yr olds buying in.

But what real real-world applications does it have? African rural doctors doing blood sample calculations? cmon. Rendering? I doubt that anyone besides freelancers would use it.

Weather forecasts? Predictions? Why are people buying something that solves non-existing problems?

Not trying to hate here, let me hear your thoughts on this.

How can it be used for rendering?

No one needs to convince you of anything be a man and make your own decisions you stupid fucking retarded faggot.

just a render farm in some commie block in slav land lol don't tell me you bought this shit

>I can see 15yr olds buying in.
15 year olds dont know what coins are. Let alone a supercomputer.
Hold your bags, because you will die with them

didn't lol

can you please be a bit more decent. ffs

You sound like a faggot. You shouldnt take advice from Veeky Forums

From what I gathered (and it might be off), it searches for available nodes in its networks and sends basic information on what needs to be calculated and the corresponding data required (not the whole file at once), vertex stuff, finite elements, shading, etc. then sends back the post processed data to the end user, all trading being done via GNT.

A more tempting application would be machine learning where you can actually access data that is ALREADY on the nodes, even though I can see some people being heavily wary of this. Imagine building a drone that can access a network of smartphones (long term goal), or train a neural network for protein folding with data already processed by a decentralized database of other scientists/civilians (faster to implement as of now). Think folding@home but your home is also part of the database instead of a mere calculating node.

Do you know BOINC? No? Hundres and thousands of people offer their PC Power for free actually through BOINC to make a supercomputer.

Imagine how many it should be if they get paid for offering their PC Power

They advertised primary as render platform at this point. Not sure about the calculations behind rendering, but it seems you can distribute and parallelize it to some extend. Which is also the biggest problem here imo.

Even "trivial" parallelization techniques like multi threading are a pain in the ass to implement and optimize, and with Golem, I suppose that'd be a whole order of magnitude harder

Ok bucket rendering but all that network latency will kill render times, on local render farms gigabit is needed or you lose time because the data can't be transferred fast enough and things just wait while doing nothing

OP, there are literally hundreds of people who need to use a super computer on a daily basis. How could this go wrong?

Like who?

not true ;)

Physicist studying black holes and galaxy clusters.

Why not use the equipment that your lab or university provides you?

Also those simulations can only be done on one thread, it sucks. I like doing water fluid simulations but you need a super fast one core processor for that

There are lines that can last months to get in on the university accessible super computers.

Yep, but from what I know, it's used mostly for scientific stuff like SETI or protein folding. I can't see a big market here... though it might benefit smaller research institutions

yeah, that's my concern too. Not to experienced in parallel / could computing, but I imagine that for alot of tasks, it's very hard to parallelize it without constant exchange of data, since it's often very hard to split a problem in smaller parts which are independent form each other

Digital art students can use this. Rendering 3D models is pretty fat.

Regarding the main topic, GNT seems to have absolutely no way to detect black hat software. The only screening they have on packages is community approval. Good luck with that.

>GNT seems to have absolutely no way to detect black hat software
Can you elaborate? Are you referring to DDoS clients/password crackers et al?

No. Since it is decentralized, no one can ensure 100% a package is legit and will run what it is supposed to run. From the last interview I got that they will rely on the community doing package checks. If you download a package that botnets your computer, it's your fault, and you won't even know.

I would say anyone who gets the concept of a checksum is okay with downloading packages of this kind, as well as having a few neurons to tell a hack bomb from an actual task, but casuals don't even know what the terminal is. Chaos is ensued.

I believe each release of golem will cause a pump (assuming brass doesn't end it). What else matters?

>but casuals don't even know what the terminal is. Chaos is ensued.

Good point