Precious Metals

Hey Veeky Forums

I wanted to come and ask about how you guys felt about collecting physical Gold and Silver

Im pretty poor, so I can only afford about $100 in Gold and Silver. Is there something better I could be doing with my money?

Do you collect Gold and Silver? Any other precious metals?

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/ON-SALE-10-oz-Sunshine-Silver-Bar-New-MintMark-SI-/151694418186?hash=item2351b1210a:g:RKoAAOSw3xJVXeRl
aceflashman.wordpress.com/2009/10/27/solid-gold-asteroid-head-for-earth-world-economy-in-peril/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

go on ebay and buy a roll of 5 or 10 silver 1oz coins

>roll of 5 or 10
>ebay
B8 or reet

I have about $350 worth of silver in junk silver coins and like $1K of gold scrap jewelry. In a word, poverty.

lol where is a good place to buy silver? ive seen silver for almost spot price on ebay you just have to look for a little bit

Gold is overvalued right now, and silver is stagnant. I own a small amount of silver, but more as a collector's set of the Chinese zodiac for value than the actual investment of the silver.

Yo guys do realize that gold and silver supplies have been estimated to only last through ~2040, right? We're gonna see $10,000 gold oz in our lifetime.

>1000+oz silver
>5oz gold

Make sure you buy a gun first

ebay.com/itm/ON-SALE-10-oz-Sunshine-Silver-Bar-New-MintMark-SI-/151694418186?hash=item2351b1210a:g:RKoAAOSw3xJVXeRl

I traded all my ripple for gold grams on gatehub.net. You can also trade BTC for gold, silver, platinum and palladium on uphold.

buy this OP, free shipping only 8.50 over spot price, silver is undervalued right now

>traded all my ripple for gold grams

Here's the good and bad with PMs.

The Good:
Hedge against inflation and economic downturns. In the long term it *should* maintain its original purchasing power. If there were a recession, the idea is gold/silver will shoot up because of uncertainty, and you could sell it high and enter the stock market while stocks are low.

The Bad:
It produces nothing. No dividends. When it comes down to it, its an unproductive rock that looks cool. There's never any added value while holding PMs. Its purpose is merely to 'protect' your principal.

Transaction costs are another big one. You pay a huge premium over spot with PMs. A 1 oz Silver Eagle is the most liquid bullion coin. You can buy them for about $21 dollars right now, even though they only contain $16 in silver. When you go to sell, PM dealers will only give you spot price. If you want to sell to other collectors/investors for a premium, you have to deal with things like finding a buyer, shipping costs, sketchy craigslist meetups, possibly eBay fees, etc.

Basically, its not worth it unless you buy and sell in large volume. PMs should be a very small percentage of your portfolio, and its only worthwhile if you have at least a few grand in it.

My advice: Wait until you have more a lot money to buy a few gold coins or a few tubes of Silver Eagles. If you really want to invest that small amount, just install Robinhood and buy a few shares of an S&P 500 ETF. Then just forget about it, because that's what you'd do with your PMs anyway. At least that way you'll be exposed to value growth and collect some kind of dividend.

>buying gold by the gram

You know why you're retarded?

I'm a jeweler. I buy and sell precious metals to refineries.

Want to know anything about precious metals dealing?

I use it as a hedge.

So far i wouldve been better off hodln btc but i like playing silver

I got 4 troy ounces of silver. I should probably buy more shouldnt I?

Sauce on those claims

Why is that retarded considering that gold is divisible and that grams are more liquid in the event that you are strapped for cash and/or want to sell in small amounts?

>what is asteroid mining

Humans should theoretically be underway with regular moon missions, with aims towards mars missions around the 2040s. Asteroid mining probably won't be practical until at least the 2060s, and it likely won't be used for metal mining, at first. It'll mainly be used for exploiting water sources on comets/asteroids for rocket fuel and long term vehicle habitat maintenance. Both of which are much more valuable for expansion out into space.

I'd be very surprised if it was viable by 2040.

I collect those old quarters that are made of silver. Got five pounds so far.

Why bother with space mining when it will just passively crash into the Earth.

aceflashman.wordpress.com/2009/10/27/solid-gold-asteroid-head-for-earth-world-economy-in-peril/