This should be mandatory reading

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ4ALQAPZjI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

SORT

YOURSELF

youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ4ALQAPZjI

based solzhenitsyn, i loved A Day in the Life of (not gonna try rewriting that long ass name)

It's interesting that throughout my college years we never read or know anything about this man when communism was mentioned.

I just started this but I need a good resource on the Russian revolution to have some context. Any suggestions?

What does Veeky Forums think about Peterson?

By his own admission the way he presents his ideas and the way he lectures is easier to digest if the listener is of a particular psychological temperament. He's all over the place, and being unstructured is a real hurdle for some people by no fault of their own.

What exactly is this temperament? Do you just mean someone who can understand things that are unstructured?

I think he referred to openness, being one of the big five personality traits, which is a model in current use apparently. So I'm sure the trait is specified in detail academically and I don't know those details.

ITT: Fascist wreckers seizing on imperialist propaganda to justify their false consciousness.

>fascist
Just fucking die already

>Fascist

the gulag archipelago ain't real history bro. It's just literary fiction

t. Ivan Ivanovitch KGB

literally /ourguy/

But I think he perfectly taps into the "zeitgeist" or whatever of the modern 18 to 30 year old man who feels lost and does so in a purely non exploitative way

Are you lost? Do you need help?

It doesn't include any info most people don't already know

I have pretty bad ADD and the traveling through the thoughts is exactly how I think. It makes his lectures in a way fun to listen to bc it really makes sense to me.

epic memes aside SJW literally BTFO

You don't have to be a fascist to realise communism is retarded.

t. Akaky Akakyovich where's your overcoat?

you guys should read the book you worship like fedoras. He says this in the preface- it's an "experiment in literary history"

AKA anecdotes and bullshit. No citations, not ever. And he's a known opponent of the regime

>muh anecdotes
>muh citations
Ivory tower intellectuals like you should be defenestrated.

well yeah, everyone is going to experience something differently since we all have a different psychological temperament. I think he was just saying "we all experience things differently, but please have an open mind" in a really roundabout/aboot way.

yea it's so weird it's like when you force a country through capitalism as fast as you can it hurts lots of people. that must be communism's fault.

It's a fine read but it shouldn't be mistaken for historical fact.

It's a different kind of history. His accounts were an amalgamation of his experiences in the system as well as the experiences and lives of various others, many of whom were given fake names for obvious reasons. further volumes after 1956 in this "qualitative" rather than "quantitative" history were primarily levied as criticisms towards the regime as a political system by both the author and various others.

If one wants to know what life was like in the Gulag system and how such a system was organized, as well as arguments to the point that it was the natural product of the Soviet doctrine and system (not just Stalin as the leadership of the Soviet Union often used to remove blame from the party and the doctrine) This is the one book you need to read. If you want names, numbers, statistics, it was pretty good for its time too, but I would look to more recent and systematically acquired data nowadays, as the author's resources and support was both limited and underground while he was still living in the SU,

I would suggest "Under the Rubble" as well, as it is a compilation of various essays made my Soviet defectors, escapees and intellectuals, one of whom is Solzhenitsyn.

Only pic I could find that was even remotely related

wat?

Trotsky wrote 3 volumes about the revolution and there's the "History of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union" by Stalin that also tackles the subject. They are primary sources tho.

that was good.