Lit thread Veeky Forums. I'll start it out

Lit thread Veeky Forums. I'll start it out

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/VzezWf3m
pastebin.com/6EKYqEdf
mega.nz/#F!AE5yjIqB!y7Vdxdb5pbNsi2O3zyq9KQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Goes into the history of Western Philosophy and thought. If you don't know a lot about philosophy and want a digestible book, I would recommend. Very long though.

These two are, to me, the best bio on Hitler out there. Very long though and very detailed. However, the author knows his stuff. Was knighted for his scholarship.

Good book on Andrew Jackson, helps explain how Jackson's influence began the Jacksonian era. Shows why and how Jackson transformed the American Presidency.

Is this thread for digestible/popular history or academic works?

This book goes into showing how the Spanish Conquest wasn't just the Spanish coming in and taking over everything, but was a complicated and complex process. You do need to know some things about the process though, otherwise you can get lost.

Good book about the early parts of England's history. Goes from prehistorical times all the way up to just before the Tudors. Easy read and not that hard to understand.

either

Goes into the life of Otto von Bismarck. The author is critical of him, but he doesn't just bend the guy over a desk and go to town.

Nice short digestable book on the Civil War. Doesn't go too much into the background, but sets up why shit happen.

Probably the best book I've read on the Civil War. Long, but very in depth and goes from just after the end of the American-Mexican War all the way to the end of the Civil War.

Goes into the history of the Comanche and their time in Texas and New Mexico. Explains their culture and why they came into conflict with Anglo settlers.

History of Islam, but from the Muslim perspective. Obviously bias but doesn't let Islam off the hook completely and does criticize where criticism is necessary. Not a theological book, more just straight history.

Famous book on how the US got involved in Vietnam. Doesn't go into the actual waging of the war, stops around 65, but is very detailed on how the US stumbled it's way into Vietnam.

Digestible book on WWI and how and why shit happened.

Deeper book on philosophy in the West. Really goes into why philosophers thought the way they did. A lot more dense than Russell's book.

Shows how the Germans colonized West Africa during the Kaiserreich. Goes into the background of both the Germans and the Africans.

Older book on the Vikings. Apparently one of the first books to tell the story, in English, from the Vikings' perspective. Not just how they treated the English.

Great book on the Korean War from the perspective of the Koreans, Chinese, and Americans. If you like MacArthur, the author shows no sympathy towards him though, but is not totally unfair.

The best account, and desu most interesting, academic work on Robert Bruce since G. W. S. Barrow's seminal work in the 50's. The book suggests that Bruce was actually English and grew up among Edward I. It also pursues some of the psychological aspects of Bruce (to the best it can, for being academic) and suggests he turned against the English in rebellion after the sack of Berwick. Great book and THE best in the field for the foreseeable future.

Very dense book on WWI. Was one of the first ones I've ever read.

Book I read on Napoleon. Pretty in depth. Author doesn't seem too impressed with him, but doesn't bash him the whole book. Will criticize him though.

>complete history
Shouldn't this be used more as an index, and indeed a glorified bibliography than anything else?

Long book on the history of the Papacy, though I doubt you could have a short one on a millennia old institution. Points out a shit ton of corruption as well.

Very enjoyable read on the history of the Persian invasions. There are no real good guy/bad guys here. Just more showing the motivations of the two sides.

Book I'm reading now. Very detailed, goes into the theology of the Reformation as well. The author has a Doctor of Divinity from Oxford.

Does this work as a European ecclesiastical history or is it loaded with religious practices?

Shows the friendship between Churchill and Roosevelt. Pretty good book, but comes across a little gay at times. Talking about the "affection that the two had for one another."

Bio of Stalin from a Russian's perspective. Apparently done after the Soviet archives were opened up.

It's detailed. But it helped me for someone that didn't know the detailed version of WWI. Before this I knew the trivial pursuit version of WWI.

Recently bought.

More ecclesiastical. You get a little bit of theology, but only as it's neceassry to explain the history and motivations. You're not going to get long arguments about whether Augustine was right or if salvation comes from grace alone or if works are needed. It's a good book, but does read as one long description of corruption.

I just picked it up and it's great. But why the hell is the cover and spine so ugly? They could have just slapped some classical art on it or something.

Presume the cav just got wiped out in that one?

Could be for propaganda. The Soviets were good at that

[spoiler] I haven't started yet [/spoiler]

T. Eastern Front historian

don't read and drive at the same time

Any more books like the athenian constitution? Basically political history written from the greek/roman period.

Tells the story of the absolute madmen of the German East Asia Squadron who crossed half the world in 1914. Highly recommended

Yeah, I don't know who greenlit that one. I got it off of Amazon, but if I saw it in a bookstore, I don't know if I would have bought it if I didn't know about it at first.

Great one about Julius Caesar. Really describes his life and the time period that he was in to help explain his motivations.

Was the Soviet propaganda good, or were they just good at keep dissenting voices out? I mean, I've seen some of it and I'm like "Pfft, yeah OK." I've seen some North Korean propaganda and I'm pretty sure that only works because there is no outside dissent.

How mad does this make you from a scale of 1 to 10. I tried to make it as stupid as possible.

Is this worth buying?

>how Jackson's influence began the Jacksonian era.

I understand that is not the tautology it sounds like, but still...

If Goldsworthy's shopping list became available, I would read it. He is superb.

This account of the Soviet Space program, written before the USSR fell and a lot of records became available, is pretty fascinating on two levels -- first, as an account of the Soviet program, but also, now, as a relic of how somebody in the West tried to decipher, from propaganda, mistakes in what was released, accounts that were actually likely true, etc. what the fuck the USSR was up to.

"We are just passing through history, Jones. This IS history."

what sources are you interested in reading? cause if you go to
pastebin.com/VzezWf3m
and type in
"translat" [i.e. translation, translated]
you'll find a bunch of primary source books on a particular aspect of egyptian life you want to learn about.

>buying books
theres this hip newfangled thing called pdfs, you should check it out, its the bee's knees

>type in
I mean ctrl f

How would you say it?

What are some good books on logic?
Both introductory ones and the essentials.

Needs no introduction.

If we're talking about military propaganda for the youth of the nation, it had a huge effect. The Memoirs of Vasily Bryukhov mentions that as a kid, he thought the USSR would "kick out the German invader in a week of them invading the Motherland" of course things went the opposite.

If we're talking about civilian propaganda, it had some mixed effects, but mostly somewhat effective.

I don't have many resources concerning soviet civilian propaganda other than "Atheism in Soviet Society 1917-1932" Which deals with the spread of Atheism and destruction of Churches during that time, it's written in a technical way, it's also concise at 200pp.
The other book is "The Russians" by Hedrick Smith, which doesn't delve into propaganda, rather Soviet society in the 70s.

Also fun fact: North Korean Propaganda is literally the last surviving remnant of what we have to the Cult of Stalin.

pastebin.com/6EKYqEdf

tips?

>holey buybull

I thought you were trying to be funny and provoke annoyance and I was just saying that it didn't annoy me

>Dialectic of Enlightenment

Wew

Decent. Gets a little apologetic at times, but still pretty good for the most part.

Is henry kissinger's stuff any good?

I hate this book and I dropped it before I got past the Greeks. It doesn't do a great job of helping me distinguish between what Russell has evidence for and what he personally believes, which constantly made me feel I was being biased in ways I might never have the chance to undo. I dropped it before it could be too influential on me, and decided to just take a more haphazard approach to discovering philosophers.

YMMV

Having read a few history of Western philosophy books, I found his the easiest to digest. I feel like it's a good introductory book
for those who know jack shit bout fuck all.

He's an OK writer, but he does write about shit that he dealt with, or at least countries that he's dealt with. Some argue that it's him trying to justify the shit he greenlit.

bump

how do you guys cope with the fact you will never read all the books there are worth reading

That is very easy. I know* that it's all for nothing, and that everyone now living will both die and consequently cease to exist within a few decades on the outside. The point being that I'm taking an accidental ride on the random train which will stop shortly, as is everyone else.

>cease to exist
>random train
Wrong.

At least you got the "everyone now alive will die" part right.

I think I'm mostly in that category. I was reading it so I wouldn't be lost for historical context when I started reading more specific works later

The ape of thoth's occult collecion

mega.nz/#F!AE5yjIqB!y7Vdxdb5pbNsi2O3zyq9KQ

>The ape of thoth's occult collecion

Good book, goes into the problems that Lincoln had with his generals and the ways that he resolved them.