Is it ethical to give to the homeless?

Is it ethical to give to the homeless?

“A lack of generosity refuses to acknowledge that your assets are not really yours, but God’s.” - Tim Keller

Proverbs 19:17 The one who is gracious to the poor lends to the LORD, and the LORD will repay him for his good deed.

Hebrews 13:16 Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.

Charity but not social assistance

Charity is masturbation. You help no one but your own ego.

when they ask, you make a decision.

homeless people are fucked up, if you give them money, they're just going to spend it on vices that make their situation worse

Homeless people are 99% crazies and 1% junkies

As the offspring of someone who was mentally ill and at one point homeless I gotta say it's the fault of those "patient's rights" cucks.

Oh yeah, let's allow these people who are fucking out of their minds to roam the streets. Fuckin doctors watching their old patients wandering around alleys rambling to themselves not even two weeks after discharge.

No. Any situation in which the homeless exist as a class is unethical.

Instead of allowing people to become homeless and giving them hosing, don't allow them to become homeless.

>Houston
>homeless people
Someone hasn't been in Port Authority at night
Or the Valley of the Homeless on 32nd

I'd say it's ethically neutral. You're not going to fix a hobo's life by giving him a few dollars, but your few dollars are also unlikely to incentivize someone to remain a beggar who could otherwise improve his situation.

The information is way too asymmetric.

Just do as you feel, it'd be foolish to propose this as a "moral" thing. You can't bypass the massive asymmetry of information between the homeless/beggars and the intentions of normies.

This.

But I think charity is good. Because there are homeless people who aren't just junkies or mentally ill. But the fact is that we shouldn't have them exist at all. We need to actually help them get into jobs and programs to get their life on track. Charity helps but it's a drop in the bucket and since there ARE a lot of fucked up homeless people you can't even be sure your money is going to a good cause.

If you want to make a difference? Volunteer at a shelter or soup kitchen. Or offer to buy them food/water directly rather than giving cash. Or if they want cash? Offer them a job. Even if it's shitty work a real homeless person will accept and try to work to make some cash, a junkie would refuse all that. As would a scammer. They want quick cash for bad shit. Genuine cases will take the food or work rather than money.

I live in a big city, homeless people are the reason I don't go downtown. Every once in a while I forget this, and then immedietly regret it. Once one of those fuckers gave me his life story and asked for food (I was holding leftovers) so I offered it to him and he said nah I don't eat after people. Tough shit.

No, homeless make for a good first pool of recruitment for a grand cause.

>Have autism
>Always end up in hours long conversations with homeless people
>They always ask for money after telling me their sad life stories
>Always say no
>mfw they get super angry

If I need to wageslave so do they, I ain't giving tendie monies away for free nigga

It's hard to become a wage slave when you have no permanent address/are hardcore mentally ill. Believe it or not, most businesses don't want to hire homeless people.

chicago? i'm the exact same way. every year, I'm like to my friends "oh lets go to millenium park that will be fun!" then we get there and it's just a bunch of homeless faggots

seriously, why dont they get fucking jobs instead of sitting around doing nothing

Nah, San Diego. California is super cool the the homeless, so much so that they sleep in tents along some of the roads near downtown. Then they migrate to annoy the shit out of people trying to have a good time.

Fuck them
Natural selection at its best

>seriously, why dont they get fucking jobs instead of sitting around doing nothing
>Let's see, I can hire the guy who has a stable job history, a place to mail their wages and other business documentation, a shower, and nice clothes, or I can hire One-Eyed Willy, who has none of those things and thinks that Luciferians control the government.

no

Maybe they should stop believing such lunacy, go shower, and get new clothes?

>stop believing such lunacy
Hard to do that when you have paranoid schizophrenia.
>go shower
You mean find an empty public restroom so you can rub yourself down with wet paper towels.
>and get new clothes
Presuming you can get the money to buy new clothes (which to be honest you probably could if you bought them piece by piece) you don't have anywhere keep or wash them except a bag/backpack of some sort.

Also, what are they supposed to put down as their place of address?

>Also, what are they supposed to put down as their place of address?

You notify your employer you are homeless or you have a homeless shelter / organization help you find a job.

On the whole I'd probably hire the guy with the stable address first as long as he didn't throw up any red flags.

It's a nice thing to do

Just don't turn it into a "LOOK AT HOW GOODWILLING I AM LOOK AT ME" virtue signalling for attention thing

it's not ethical to fund the drug trade no

my dad was homeless for a while.
i let him sleep on my couch and sneaked money unto his pockets. but that was the obligation out of love of a child towards the parents, not an act of charity.
it deeply wounded his pride to depend on alms. so make them feel like they aren't. instead of handing someone free money, ask them for help and reward them for it. so they can feel pride in having earned the food you provide them with. or genuinely seek their company and then sneak in help by handing down a jacket you no longer need.
don't try to tell them what they should be doing with their life. they know. but somehow they are broken. if they were able to funtiction, they would. give them the gift of trying to understand without judgement and it might be the most valueable offer you can give.

why did your dad become homeless

>Hard to do that when you have paranoid schizophrenia.

Remind me why we let these people walk the streets again?

The starving man who got a plate of food disagrees with you

Was natural selection in place at the level you suggest, the hobo would kill you and take your money

This. and thisOne must do it in a way that preserves dignity. It is also really stupid to just give random bums cash, if you really want to help them you need to become involved with them in someway. Sure there is a lot of druggies that will try and fuck you over regardless, but if you want to make any impact you really do have to just be willing to deal with that and be empathetic.

Because it costs money to keep them locked up.