What does Veeky Forums think of this man?

also irish war of independence and irish civil war thread

what do you guys think of the treaty? do you think that the anti treaty forces were right or wrong?

Set up to take the fall for the Anglo-Irish treaty. There was NO way Ulster was going to join the rest of Ireland, short of ethnic cleansing. Collins took the best deal on the table despite not being a politician.

As an economist, I favor a lot of Collins' views on how the Free State should develop. It helps that he knew accounting and understood that Ireland desperately needed to grow economically after centuries of mismanagement.

I don't deify him, but I do feel he's been unfairly slagged by anti-Treaty circles.

The greatest enemy of the Irish people weren't Viking raiders, Cambro-Norman warlords, or London-based governments. It has always been the Irish people.

The Treaty was a bitter pill to swallow, but 7/10 of the island is better than nothing. And it might take a couple of generations, but the northern counties would eventually reunite with the south. The problem was that DeValera's society was run by priests, thus alienating Protestants who favored the nationalist cause as well as Ulstermen who felt vindicated in their fears of a Catholic tyranny.

The Irish Civil War was a fucking mistake. What's even more galling is how the Free State and later Republic mistreated Irish men that served in WWI. Many of them joined the army for money, adventure, or get away from home. They didn't care about supporting British interests and helped defend Catholic France and Belgium from being subjugated. My ex-gf's great-grandfather's grave was vandalized by asshole teens who hated the fact that his headstone said he died serving aboard the Royal Navy in 1915.

is the film michael collins accurate?
wow i didnt know that they treated ww1 soldiers like that in ireland i just assumed they respected them like every other country

Take it down from the mast Irish traitors,
It's the flag we republicans claim
It can never belong to Free Staters
For you've brought on it nothing but shame

This.

They're treated dreadfully by a large portion of people. Probably a minority, but a notable one.

>ywn fight for the independence of your land given by God alongside honorable soldiers who truly believe in freedom for the Fatherland
>ywn liberate the Emerald Island or the Holy Land and live together with your nation as brothers and sisters living to defend the Homeland and guarantee the future of your children

All I want in this life is to be an Irish/Jewish partisan in the 20th century
Is that too much to ask?

These posts are cringey as hell

Stop listening to Sabaton.

TRUTH

>implying I listen to pleb-tier Sabaton
>implying I'm 12
I'm a big boy ok

Also,
>complaining about romantization of history
>on Veeky Forums

who are the people below de valera and collins

Charles Stewart Parnell
Aodh Mór Ó Néill
Brian Boru

I daresay it created a fine crop of good folk music.

"Come Out, You Black and Tans" is still a damn good song, even if the folk singing it were terrorist fucking bastards.

His death was karma for aiding the IRA terrorist campaign in Northern Ireland, in direct violation of the treaty he had with Britain.

Ireland's now a shithole.

That's a big island.

QTs

So the further back in Irish history we go, the more romantic and unreliable you become?

>L.O.L.

WE

>Don't anybody tell you that it's not true, it is true.
That's reassuring.