Boot US Marine financial advice

I already put $120 a paycheck into TSP and I donate $20 a paycheck to the Navy Marine corps relief society for tax returns is there anything else I can do to further solidify my finances

>19 year old PFC

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RThMFYBtZLw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Don't buy dumb shit and save your deployment money

This.
>Aww fuck I just got back from Iraq, time to buy a Challenger
No. Also, don't get married.

The corps is pretty good at teaching junior marines the whole not to buy a $300 tv and a mustang for 30% so I think I got those bases covered

>aircrew marine
>flight pay and per diem

Get a brokerage account and match your TSP investment in an ETF with a solid reputation like SPY. This will give you some gains you can cash out in 10-20 years to put down on a house or something. Get out of debt and stay out. Pay cash for everything you can. Honestly, just staying out of debt puts you 10 miles ahead of your peers. Never buy into the whole "you're wasting your money by renting" line.

Spouses can't fuck you as hard as they could back in the day and half of my platoon at Paris island got married on boot leave and a quarter of that number are already getting divorced so yeah I see what you mean

Also, make sure the Marines are paying for your degree. Many people you know from highschool that went to some ivy league liberal indoctrination camp will be paying that debt the rest of their lives. Get a solid online degree so you don't have to work in a factory when you get out.

Already got around $15,000 saved up from working for my dad's fab business as a teenager. Can I invest some of that or should I use that as a down payment on a house when I get out?

Already on it senpai, I won't to EAS with an associates degree and then use the GI Bill to get an MBA

FPBP. Got back from Iraq in 06 and bought a 97 Grand Am. Fuck your brand new pickup trucks and Chargers.

Since then I've had four people from my platoon ask me for money, three of whom outranked me at that point.

Done be afraid to open an IRA and but some index funds either. NASDAQ is setting up for a correction in the coming weeks. Might be a nice time to buy in. If you want to get on the crypto rocket, look at ARKW, the ETF.

What the actual fuck, bro? Donate if you want to donate, but unless you are itemizing your deductions (which you won't be), you will never see a tax benefit from these donations. The Corps is fucking you.

I would be investing the shit out of that into different ETFs. But that's just me. Keep some cash on the side for emergencies. Aim to pay for the whole house not just the down payment btw.

You serious? Fuck me dude

>tfw they had a big muster at MCT about donating to there for tax bennies
>tfw my boot is showing even harder

Thanks for the advice, that's kinda what I am after because I got on that Dave ramesy grind while I was in highschool do to me only having highschool level business/finance classes under my belt and he breaks it down in laymens terms

If you put money into the MGIB, don't. You'll end up using the Post 9/11 anyway and getting the money back is hard. Plus, time value of money means you'll end up losing like 40% of it to inflation

Yeah I switched over to the post 9/11 as soon as I could, the Montgomery didn't really cover the schooling I want after I get out so I didnt sound to good to me

youtube.com/watch?v=RThMFYBtZLw

Did you know you were going to shoot
Off the top of a four year old girl's head
And look across her car-seat down into her skull
And see into her throat and did you know
That her dad would say to you
"Please sir, can I take her body home?"
Oh wait, you totally did know... that that would happen

Blah blah blah baby killers blah blah blah murderers

>only here for financial advice

Unless you have enough itemized deductions to exceed your standard deduction (which you almost surely won't), these contributions will never even come into play on your tax return. By all means, donate if you feel like the cause is worthy. But don't expect a tax benefit for doing it. You most likely won't have enough deductions to itemize until you buy a house. This is how it is for most people. Good luck, marine, and stay safe.

I'll probably continue to donate because the relief society does some pretty good things for marines down on their luck. Thank you sir

There are tax guys on base every year. Tell them about your donations and give them your pay stubs and you can itemize them

You can try to itemize them, but when your itemized deductions don't add up to the standard deduction, the donations won't be used in your tax calculation. I'm very right about this.

I hope you told them to kick rocks and fuck themselves.