Hibernophobia, or Anti-Irish Sentiment

Can we have a discussion about Hibernophobia?

Both as a historical phenomenon/from a historiographical perspective, and in general, as a current phenomenon (both on Veeky Forums and IRL).

As an Irishman, I've noticed a lot of antipathy/hostility towards my people on this and other boards. I want to know where it stems from. Especially when it comes to historical/geopolitical memes, to say nothing of the contents of some posts in themselves. Like "polandball" for example. We very rarely come up, but it's almost always in a rather mean-spirited context not unlike a 19th century Punch cartoon.

Do you hate the Irish? If so, why? What did we ever do to you?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5CWIIoSf4nw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Yes and No
For me, American white trash tend to take specific pride in being Irish(perhaps they mean Scots-Irish?). Irish people themselves tend to be civil, wealthy and modern so I hold nothing against them.
Also consider other things like Catholicism, IRA and historical poverty and urban nature of the Irish in the Anglosphere for the hatred from other people.

the famine didn't kill enough

I'm Italian American and past discrimination/rivalry between my family/ethnicity and Irish generally cause me to hate them.

Interesting, so you basically just don't like Irish-Americans?
This is actually funny. way too much "feck" though

>I want to know where it stems from.
Irish immigrants tended to be poor and thus could only take shit jobs, many turned to crime (the Irish mob goes back to the 18th century) and more ghastly they were catholics in a protestant country. Italians who immigrated to the US at the turn of the century, who were mainly southern Italians and Sicilians, got the same shit for the same reasons.

Italian-Irish mix is one of the most common mixes in America because of the discrimination that both of the groups faced at the time.

>Travolta, the youngest of six children, was born and raised in Englewood, New Jersey
>His father was a second-generation Italian American and his mother was Irish American

I mean "hate" is an exaggeration. Its not like we're anti-Irish or anything. I don't particular like the Irish (mostly because of my dads experience with them) but I think they are nice enough people.

and they said the Italians hold grudges

If irish aren't inferior, how comes they never achieved anything worthy of notice?
It really triggers me when dumb Americans act like all white people are the same. When there are clearly white nations that are the bringers of civilizations, and others, who are no better than African tribes

Anyone noticing some similarities between the irish and jewish people?

>both contributed significantly to the sciences, arts, humanities, education, etc.
>both faced severe oppression throughout history
>both have a strong affinity to a small region of the globe they consider their ancestral homeland
>both are widespread geographically
>both demonstrate a knack for 'integration' into a foreign culture or nation

The biggest and most crucial difference is that the Irish don't really have the victimhood complex of the jews.

Trollin so very very hard

Irish drink beer and eat potatoes. Jews drink the blood of Christian children and eat bagels.

I didn't hate potatoniggers until I came across irish on /int/, now I am a confirmed sworn-in hibernophobic potato famine denier

t. English wanker

RIRA will rise as the number of Catholics reaches 50%> in NI.

Celts will be free again

I hate my countrymen on /int/ because they're a bunch of lewdposting anime faggots but you could say that about any country on that shitty board. It's basically /r9k/ with flags now

>the Irish don't really have the victimhood complex
wew

>no better than African tribes

stylin' tbqh

Listen up ya fucking Yankee or whatever the fuck ya are, don't ya ever relate me to a fucking JEW! EVER!

>Celts

No Celt ever went to Ireland you stupid westbrit bogtrotter.

Average Irish iq is 95 average Jewish iq is 115 whatever influence the Irish have is through pure numbers and perfectly proportionate

Back to /r/eddit with your "let's downplay disproportionate Jewish influence by pointing out proportionate Irish influence" shit failed meme JIDF

strange people

Celebrating people who make themselves disproportionately important by forcing themselves into everything over a people who do thier best to join in with the dominate culture and contribute without turning the culture into a subservient cash flow and bomb umbrella for some homeland and demand special food and countless other considerations everywhere they go while giving you the pleasure of them telling you how they alone are Gods chosen special people. Jews are exactly the same as Irish people.

What language did the people of Ireland use back then, was it Celtic? Most likely. Making them Celtic

That's some bad mofo mage threads to do rape and pillaging in. Dont ax like you not mirin.

whatever you say schlomo, your shitty failed meme will never catch on, tell JIDF to go back to the drawing board

Stop feeling bad for us we just want to be left alone. where not welfare niggers

Obligatory: One Island, One People, One Nation. Get wrecked Queeny. Your faggy grandsons will never wear the crown.

>HURR

I guess Ireland must have been colonised by Indians, after, Gaelic is an Indo-European language :^)

I wasn't being ironic. Jews are leeches and egotistical Zionist atheists. Irish people just wanted more potatoes. I'm still a Schlomo agent. Hmm.

While the level of discourse has somewhat dropped, allow me to voice my honest opinion.

I generally sympathize with the Irish independence struggle, being unsure where I stand regarding factions of the Irish Civil War - here I see the point of both sides.

In more detail, I see the British policies in Ireland of the last 50 years before the Easter Rising as being unjust, and cruel.

On a more interesting note, I have a friend from the Gaeltacht, and a friend from... near Cork, I think? The former speaks perfect Queens English, the latter speaks like a stereotypical paddy. Both are great.

You know Ireland was Celtic just as much as Britannia. I don't know why where arguing about this.

Because British people are completely Norman-cucked and remembering the sacred pagan past makes them upset.

>where
*sigh* after all the effort we put in to bring you civilization

There still Celtic but I used past tense because I thought we where talking about ancient Ireland.

Oh sorry I thought you where someone else.

>african tribes

this thread makes me want to go watch gangs of new york again

Fact is that the Irish were colonized, much like the native populations of North America and Africa and so forth, and a big part of colonization is institutionalizing the belief that one group (the colonizers) is superior and the other (the colonized) is inferior.

i love you paddy. recently got into stuff like this:

youtube.com/watch?v=5CWIIoSf4nw

>Mr. G-O'Rilla
kekd

Wasn't Ireland first colonized by Normans and they assimilated into the Irish culture? then the "new English" came saying that the "old English" where traitors and are with the Irish enemy? This always confused me because like you said they fancy them superior but many Irish are Normon. And why call the Irish enemy's? did they attack England? as far as i can tell they just stayed on there rock in the sea.

Please don't call me a butthurt irish, i'm not irish

Where does the stereotype about the Irish having massive Philtrums come from?

Looks mostly like an Anglo Protestant thing.

Colonization of Ireland was along ethno-religious lines, with a British-Protestant minority dominating an Irish-Catholic majority.

Old English and Gaelic Irish had one thing in common: their adherence to Roman Catholicism. This would lead to their persecution by the Anglican Church, a revolt against increasing numbers of Protestant settlers to the island, and an alliance with Charles I in the English Civil War. When the chiefly Anglican Parliamentarians under Cromwell won, they turned their attention to Ireland, stomped the crap outta them, and heavily penalized the Irish.

Irish got a bit of a respite under Charles II and James II. Then the latter was deposed in the Glorious Revolution and forced to run to Ireland. This split the population between supporters of the new William III (Protestant) and supporters of the old James II (Roman Catholic). William won, James II went to France, and everything went to shit for Roman Catholics. Thereafter, the Protestants (both English and Scottish) increased their chokehold on the country.

Thanks for replying

No way they looked like that

It's a symptom of fetal alcohol syndrome

>I've noticed a lot of antipathy/hostility towards my people on this and other boards.
>a lot

It's just an anglo thing because anyone that stands in their way gets automatically demonized, slandered and drowned in meme depictions.

Outside of the anglo countries nobody feels any hostility towards Ireland apart of maybe a few mentally weak apes that may have drunk too much of the anglo meme propaganda well and go around parroting shit like potato and so on.