East Asian Architecture - What Went Wrong?

Can someone explain to me why a civilization as antique and illustrious as China didn't produce much impressive architecture, comparatively speaking? I've been to Xian, Beijing etc. And it really doesn't even begin to compare to even some of the more minor places in Europe, India and the Middle East.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavilion_of_Prince_Teng#Construction_timeline
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

are you on some next level shit? that pic looks fucking cool.

I guess you need to actually go there. The Forbidden City is one of the most underwhelming historical sites I have ever visited.

Chinese architecture is just like big barns.

There is no architecture on earth could beat Roman architecture and Neo-Classical architecture that got influenced by it

Complaining about aesthetics in different cultures is pretty fucking useless on Veeky Forums.

>Neoclassical
The refuge of the unimaginative.

this and that cringy jade worship
subhumans they are

They didn't like building domestic houses in stone, had something to do with stone houses/tombs being for dead emperors.

That explains in part why so much of their architecture revolves around wood, perhaps earthquakes also factor into this. At any rate the stress was on wooden buildings built spread out horizontally rather than vertical. What you end up with is "simple" wooden buildings with an emphasis on decoration rather than architectural feats.

OP said architecture not aesthetics, read properly before you start posting.

All the same. You guys will just shill your favorite styles. Nothing productive will happen.

Ancient Chinese architecture was destroyed by the c*mmunists to make room for ugly commie blocks like in Russia. Japan has better architecture.

>with an emphasis on decoration

But the decorative elements are also kind of underwhelming.

Japanese castles are kind of distinct. But you're wrong about the commies destroying it, in general Chinese haven't been interested in building for posterity.

east asian architecture thread?

Japanese castles have been destroyed as fuck. Osaka Castle and the one in Tokyo are postwar reconstructions.

Neophiliac detected.

this China used to be littered with giant structures, bridges, forts, walls and things.

Also China is a mix of extreme centralization and extreme decentralization. On one hand you have the forbidden palace which is literally forbidden so there is no point building something like the Sistine Chapel to impress visitors. Then there are 10000s of ancestral shrines, temples and monasteries which are only supported by the locals who can't afford to build their own personal cathedral.

Aesthetics is in the eye of the beholder, architecture is somewhat measurable.

Bruh, I like Classical Architecture done by Romans and Greeks.

Neoclassical was fine when the Medievals were doing it. It's like watching an apprentice artist mature into a master artist. But from the 1500s to the 20th century, its nothing but the act of a typecast actor.
>Oh they're gonna build a public building! Wonder what the architecture style i- ITS FUCKING NEOCLASSICAL, WHY DID I EVEN BOTHER GUESSING.

Yeah, I much prefer stuff like dadaism, bauhaus, and other forms of jewish art and architecture bro. You too? I just like things that "haven't been done before" because novelty value is the most important thing. Praise Yeshua.

Yeah but architecture also deals with aesthetics.

Im not hearing OP complaining about fire safety and workplace hazards or building codes.

But they rebuilt it. The c*mmunists didn't rebuild what they destroyed.

Was I complaining about other "traditional" styles you triggered wewuz cuck?

Enjoy your bland copypaste architectural style.

>Enjoy your bland copypaste architectural style.

Yes, and curvy hip rooves repeated verbatim for two thousand years aren't?

Praise ho chee ming ok.

Lol I was just here for that shitty Neoclassicuck comment. Its your problem if you don't like Chink architecture. Miss me with that shit, nigger.

Fuck off, I like East Asian domestic architecture and their love for "not forcing everyone to live in one building."

Chinese and Japanese houses- instead of rooms- focused on outbuildings surrounding a large courtyard garden, with a main hall for gatherings. The fact that they did this even in cities is also very nice (pic related).

Where is the man with the goatee?

Wait, is that Arabic on that flag?

Got any more pictures or info on this?

You're wrong. Reconstruction has been as vital to tourism in Chinese cities as Japanese cities.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavilion_of_Prince_Teng#Construction_timeline

Incorrect. Commies rebuilt everything and now people claim it's "fake" even though Japan did the same thing after WW2.

Breh sites like the Forbidden City was (and still is) being reconstructed.

Non-Maoist members of the CCP even defended it from defacement during the Cultural Revolution.
>The damage peaked during the Cultural Revolution. In 1966, the Hall of Worshipping Ancestors was modified and some artefacts destroyed for an exhibition of revolutionary mud sculptures. However, further destruction was prevented when Premier Zhou Enlai intervened by sending an army battalion to guard the city. These troops also prevented ransacking by the Red Guards who were swept up in the storm to demolish the "Four Olds". From 1966 to 1971, all gates to the Forbidden City were sealed, saving it from more destruction.[30]

I spit at you, you repetitive cunt. The person who holds no interest in the unknown is less than a human being.

A lot of the ancient Chinese buildings were made out of bamboo, which isn't exactly made to endure for millennia. Also there was a lot of vandalism over the centuries with nonsense like the burning of the Summer Palace or the Cultural Revolution.

>this thread again
Chinese civilization never produced architecture on the same caliber of Western Civilization as China stopped advancing after the Mongol invasions. Any piece of Victorian architecture is far more advanced than anything Imperial China ever produced.

However, using the Emperor throne room as a metric of Chinese architecture demonstrates that you don't have a solid understanding of Chinese architecture or Confucianism.

The throne room and Forbidden City are not intended to be aesthetically remarkable. Confucianism traditionally shuns such opulent decadent displays. This is why emperors wore rather shabby clothing for their offical portraits.

If you want to see classical chinese architecture at its finest, ancient government buildings are generally not a good place to start.

Also, I don't know if you're the same guy who made the last thread making the exact same comments, but if you are, please stop. These threads go nowhere and end up with week long argument between different types of asians shitposting about how Ancient China was the greatest/worst civilization ever. Very few people on Veeky Forums have any knowledge about Chinese history, only a shitty agenda to push.

Art Deco?

Yeah, it's a shrine complex located in Linxia, Gansu province. A lot of Hui people live there, so you might see some Islamic influences.

da ((((jooos))))
spoops me at nite

there is literally a mudslim standing by the gate

>Chinese civilization never produced architecture on the same caliber of Western Civilization as China stopped advancing after the Mongol invasions. Any piece of Victorian architecture is far more advanced than anything Imperial China ever produced.
[Citations needed]