Is it true that there is a cult of scientism and 'skeptic' communities replacing religion in the west...

Is it true that there is a cult of scientism and 'skeptic' communities replacing religion in the west? Is pop science a new dogma led by people like Bill Nye and Neil deGrasse Tyson and followed by hip millennials in the hope of looking better and smarter than others?

no

No but there's idealist morons who want people to buy the bullshit spin that there's an epic scientist conspiracy in order to spread anti-intellectualism when in reality it's just men in white coats devoting their lives to being nerds.

Kill yourself.

It's been true in various forms since at least the 1700s. Probably even earlier with humanism and the like. IMO they completely won the culture war by the 1960s.

>kill yourself
Take it easy, man. What did I ever do to you?

You lowered my IQ by multiple digits

If you can't even consider other points of view without getting hostile, then you're IQ was already so low that a multiple digit drop is not a big deal.

No, r/atheism's annoying hay day was from 2011-2013

The fact that there's so much concern about "scientism" still, is a reflection on how much worse and more annoying the Christian reaction has been.

There're Christians actually being persecuted to death in Egypt, yet Christians in the developed world whine about living in a "post-Christian" culture (a world where they don't always get what they want), and spout that pseudo-intellectual buzzword "scientism"

>a world where they don't always get what they want
Why shouldn't you fight to get what you want?

epik i used you're in place of your incorrectly lmoa am i trolling you yet XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

>being so dumb that you check someone's grammar instead of their argument

The gays aren't bothering you. When your desires infringe on their rights, that's a problem.

>implying Christians care about gays anymore
The vast majority of Christians don't care about gays at all. Despite the population difference, there are probably more Muslims in our country that want gays dead than there are Christians that still think about gay marriage.

>tfw reason cannot justify itself as the sole guiding principle of truth

>Is it true that there is a cult of scientism and 'skeptic' communities replacing religion in the west?
No

This post is sort of funny, as trust in science has actually been greatly reduced over the decades. In the 1950s (yes, America's maymay golden years for many), American trust in science was at an all time high- almost TOO high. They blindly stormed headfirst into scientific initiatives without considering the long term side effects. People once praised scientific advancement and chemical production, but also believed that chemical runoff could just be dumped in waterways. This "dilution theory" led to the Great Lakes getting BTFO by chemicals. Chemicals like DES were taken en masse and many common household materials like PVC were manufactured without safety procedure because of ignorance and a blind faith in science. (This makes me sound anti-science, but I'm not. I'm a STEM major doing research)

Since then, faith has eroded as the long term effects of everything from DES (and TONS of other chemicals) to chemical dumping in the environment were discovered (surprise! it's not fucking good!), leading to a growing distrust in science that has gone from rational doubt to full-blown retardation and an arrogant belief in people that they know better than scientists and doctors.

>When your desires infringe on their rights, that's a problem.
Your ideology ≠ objectiveness.

Can you define rights? What rights does a person have? Why?

I'll keep that in mind the next time Robert Barron or Steve Bannon drone on about the issue sapping the west of its moral strength
Awful post.

What if I don't think having a society which treats homosexuality as publicly acceptable is good?

Well essentially, rights tend to be a basic level of security and liberty needed to have a prosperous and happy life. Infringement on the security or liberty of someone is a violation of their rights.

The main Christian argument is that submitting to the will of God's plan for homosexuals (ie. life long chastity), will allow them to better fulfill themselves and live a happier and more free life. This violates a gay person's sovereignty to determine life for themselves. Sure not agreeing on everything may cause social division, but that's a price that we should be willing to pay for individual autonomy.

I doubt you were actually curious though, and just plan to try and poke holes through my posts, even if it undermines yours. Probably why you're pretending to be a new poster.

Then you don't have to think that society's good. Simple as that.

Stop trying to take away from others the happiness you failed to have yourself.

Since when does Steve Bannon have a problem with homosexuals?

>Stop trying to take away from others the happiness you failed to have yourself.
What if a homosexual society makes people less happy? You have a lot of presumptions with no reason why Christians shouldn't fight for the world they want besides the fact that you personally disagree with that world.

>Homosexual society
5% AT MAX LMAO
You are fighting ghosts. You're a useful pawn for a Satanist. Thank you for your service.

Yes. They are in cahoots with the pseudo scientists whom'st've push evolution and climate change onto our children thus leading to the degeneration of good Christian values and therefore ergo also western civilization. I, for one, blame soros and the frankfurt school.

>percentage dictates effect on society
Tell that to Jews and aristocrats.

>Is it true that there is a cult of scientism and 'skeptic' communities replacing religion in the west?
No, that's just butthurt protestant paranoia.

>This violates a gay person's sovereignty to determine life for themselves.
Stay spooked.

Are you blind to the world around you? Most western normies look to Hawkins and kaku for authority to explain the world. Not the pope and the Dhala llama.

Yes, especially when they think "science" just "clicks" with their political opinions.

And it's not replacing religion, it's replacing philosophy.

>Homosexual society
These are your words. This implies a society composed of, at least, many more homosexuals. However, no matter what attitude the government has, the amount of homosexuals stays the same. Therefore, there is no way that a homosexual society is even possible, let alone an imminent threat.

>basic level of security and liberty needed to have a prosperous and happy life.
But homosexuality leads to a miserable and degenerate life, which makes it a moral imperative to physically remove homosexuality, which is an obstacle to a happy and prosperous life, at all costs.

>This implies a society composed of, at least, many more homosexuals.
That was your incorrect reading.

>This implies a society composed of, at least, many more homosexuals.
No it doesnt.

We have various examples of Muslim societies existing with Muslims being a minority with other religions being the majority. Yet theyre still called Muslim societies.

Alright, why don't you explain what a "Homosexual Society" is, since everyone else's definition is wrong.

>I'm miserable, so all homosexuals are miserable
Yep, all those awful successful people, better fire up those ovens and save America
God I hope you're trolling. I don't want to actually have to shoot people like you.

Hardly replacing it. Look at Veeky Forums and its horde of Christians trying to convince you that anything but following their exact creed is degeneracy and will lead to "the downfall of Western civilization". Unfortunately this isn't a phenomenon contained in a mayan weather forecast smoke signal network.

>be black
>want to rediscover your culture
>oops, you have no culture

>be white
>90% of it is Christshit that you tolerate because "muh heritage"

>be Asian
>get to appreciate tons of art, philosophy, and science that doesn't revolve around MUH JESUS

Feels good to be a yellow man desu senpai

like I said, culture war paranoia

Google Hawkins book, mate.

Not an argument.

So there is a healthy variety of spiritual opinions then!
You only do the alarmist lamentations about "scientism" because you are triggered by it.

> blacks have no culture
Wrong friend, blacks are the only ones in America who do have even a semblance of culture.

Africans have more culture than they know what to do it.

I can't prove homosexuality does not lead to misery by giving you examples of happy homosexuals. Is that an argument, sir? What's the safe word?

Hey how 'bout this argument: Trump is a pro-LGBT liberal in a conservative costume and it feels good to have elected him. How do you feel?

As much as the more militant anti-theists would love that, no. NuAtheism espoused by Dawkins et al. proved so annoying and snobby that, along with growing skepticism toward the science-knows-all mindset among the populace at large, it poisoned the well. You still have retards who parrot any study that comes out instead of actually digging a little deeper, and that just exacerbates the situation.

>science and skepticism
>somehow bad

If anything, the USA appears to be regressing to anti-intellectualism and "interpreting" facts.

>they have rights
Why?

0/10

>Most western normies look kaku

A bit dated, black science man is where it's at now. Anyway, Tyson and Nye are gateways into science. They get some normies interested enough to start digging into the actual science.

Its not a religion, its just hipsters and pseudo-intellectuals who think science is a body of knowledge instead of a method for learning about the world, and who think that pop sci figures are the great thinkers of our age and not just cheerleaders for the scientific community to get normies to fund their rocket ships.

It doesn't help matters that many of the pop sci figures themselves take it upon themselves to speak outside their expertise and pretend to be authorities on philosophy or politics just because they're a famous science cheerleader.

Maybe for a very short period of time a few years ago, but it seems that most people have outgrown it.

Confirmed. Now that Big Bang Theory is ending, normies can stop pretending to care about science because "OMG I'm such a nerdddd xoxoxox"

Lurk moar