I was talking to a friend about what we should do with churches and mosques when religion inevitably becomes extinct...

I was talking to a friend about what we should do with churches and mosques when religion inevitably becomes extinct and we couldn't agree.

I said we should just bulldoze them to the ground but he was saying that they should be repurposed and used for something else, although he couldn't think of what other purpose the buildings could lend themselves to.

TL;DR: What should we do with churches and mosques when they are abandoned?

Other urls found in this thread:

patheos.com/blogs/tippling/2016/04/16/non-religious-shrinking-the-world-is-going-to-become-more-religious/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

in many places they're already being repurposed as housing, restaurants, bars, museums, etc.

The Japanese still have shinto shrines despite the fact hardly anyone believes in the gods. They are just part of the local tradition and the local families of means support them for it.

Thats what should happen in the west

>bulldoze them to the ground
kys

Reuse them as Museum
Religious structures are often the most beautiful achievement of a civilisation, why would you destroy it?
Unless you really hate religion

>religion becomes extinct
Fuck off,f delusional fedora.
Because Mommy made him go to church so he replaced the temple in his heart with a fucking ugly meme hat.

Make them into museums, destroying all the precious art, sculpture, and architecture would be a waste.

Western post modernism doesn't revere or respect their past, in fact they despise it.

Tell your friend he is arguing with the dumbest human being he's come into contact with.

Jesus, you're an idiot.

Even if you hate religion, they're based buildings. Sell them to private owners. Can you imagine how badass an old cathedral would be as a nightclub?

Like, set up the DJ's booth up on that raised pulpit off to the side and have a U-shaped bar around the altar.

They have awesome acoustics. They could be and are used for concerts.

Many will have to be bulldozed because they are not economically viable though.

if youre constantly looking back, youll never move forward.

Look at Europe.

And if you forget where you came from, you'll never know where you're going.

thats completely false.

No it isn't.

I'll even break the stream of retarded and meaningless aphorisms and explain why: How the fuck can you "move forward" (That is, """"""""""""progress"""""""""""") as a society if you don't know where you're coming from? If you don't understand WHAT YOU'RE PROGRESSING AWAY FROM in the first place? What happens when worshiping Jeff Goldblum as our lord and savior becomes the norm? What happens when slavery is "progressive" and a way to "fight inequality"?

Understanding history - which is what you're arguing against at its core - is crucial for any goal because you not only don't know what's already been tried, but have no reference for where you'll end up.

> this is what conservashits actually belive

Conservatards btfo! How will they ever recover>

Then why the fuck are you in Veeky Forums?

You're either new or just being pedantic.

The art inside and the architecture is reason enough to keep them around.

But religion is becoming more common not less. Not even a christcuck.

Its already happened in many European countries, and places like Japan. In China and Korea actual religious beliefs are basically non-existent, only ancestor worship and traditionalism remain.

Homeless shelters or crack dens

Libraries.

Not every church is the sistine chapel

Most are pretty small and kind of ugly.

turn them into book stores (pic related), or reading rooms/ libraries if on a university campus.

If they are important enough, turn them into museums like Hagia Sophia

Even the places you haven't heard of from a long time ago have nice art.

Well the presbyterian place down the street doesn't.

museums, hospitals

Hideous.

Beats tearing them down I guess.

The places that look like office buildings can be turned into office buildings.

They are going to be repourpused as "universities" so le black science man and others can easily educate the masses into "science", nothing like a religion.

>I'm on the road to Dublin.
>Every five meters there's a signpost that says Dublin and pointing towards the city.
>eventually forget what village I left from, I still know I'm walking towards Dublin though

Atheism is the fastest shrinking religion in the world
>massive population growth in pious regions (India, ME, Sub-Saharan Africa)
>rubberband effect of state atheism in Eastern Europe

nice alternative facts
now go look at some actual numbers

patheos.com/blogs/tippling/2016/04/16/non-religious-shrinking-the-world-is-going-to-become-more-religious/

>Atheists, agnostics and other people who do not affiliate with any religion – though increasing in countries such as the United States and France – will make up a declining share of the world’s total population.

I mean, it makes sense. Poor brown people breed like rabbits.

Here's from the Pew study:

At the same time, however, the unaffiliated are expected to continue to increase as a share of the population in much of Europe and North America. In the United States, for example, the unaffiliated are projected to grow from an estimated 16% of the total population (including children) in 2010 to 26% in 2050.

Heretic, you're gonna burn all right

ON THE ROCKY ROAD TO DUBALIN 1 2 3 4 5

Maybe in America
They're the oldest buildings in any village in Europe, and each one is unique

>when religion inevitably becomes extinct

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAA

>inevitably
You truly live in an alternate reality.

>, set up the DJ's booth up on that raised pulpit off to the side and have a U-shaped bar around the altar.
Kys.Like for real

Is that a mosque that looks like a church or a church that looks like a mosque?

>we should just bulldoze them to the ground

Yeah, let's just bulldoze important pieces of our cultures and humanity to the ground. I hope you're baiting.

A church that looks like a church.
are you American?

>buildings voluntarily abandoned
>important pieces of our cultures and humanity

Mosque remodelled into church, kinda common in Spain.

>hurrrrr

I thought it might have been a converted mosque from Sicily or Spain

That is actually the Pisa Cathedral, never used as a mosque.

>implying religion will extinct

That'll never happen as long as man remains the way he is.

If we reach the point where such old structures no longer serve a purpose, they can be treated as cultural heritage sites or something similar.

Not sure about all churches, but certainly the older ones should be, they really are works of art.