Itt historical feels

itt historical feels.

>The firm of Grant & Ward did well at first, bolstered by Ward's skills and Grant's name. The former president bragged to friends that he was worth two and a half million dollars, and family members and friends poured money into the firm. But Grant was largely disengaged from the company's business.[6] This proved disastrous, as Ward had used the firm as a Ponzi scheme, taking investors' money and spending it on personal items, including a mansion in Connecticut and a brownstone in New York City. Grant & Ward failed in May 1884, leaving Grant penniless.

>That fall, the former president was diagnosed with terminal throat cancer. Facing his mortality, Grant struck a publishing deal with his friend Mark Twain and began working on his memoirs, hoping that they would provide for his family after his death. In the early stages of his work, he had the assistance of Adam Badeau, an author who had served on his staff during the war. Badeau left before the project was complete, having disputed with Grant and his family concerning how much he would be paid and how he would be credited for his research, editing, and fact-checking. Badeau eventually settled with Grant's heirs for $10,000, or about $250,000 in 2012 dollars.[7]

>Grant suffered greatly in his final year. He was in constant pain from his illness and sometimes had the feeling that he was choking. Despite his condition, he wrote at a furious pace, sometimes finishing 25 to 50 pages a day.[6] The cancer spread through his body, so the family moved to Mount MacGregor, New York in June 1885 to make him more comfortable. He worked at finishing the book, propped up on chairs and too weak to walk. Friends, admirers, and even a few former Confederate opponents made their way to Mount MacGregor to pay their respects. Grant finished the manuscript on July 18; he died five days later.

he definitely falls under one of the more interesting presidents the US has had.

I don't know why there hasn't been a biopic about him desu.

You wouldn't even need to do that typical Hollywood whitewash BS where they give people modern values, he genuinely would still hold up as a good person by modern standards.

>Continuity and change are alike illustrated in a story narrated by Peter Charanis, born on the island of Lemnos in 1908 [...]
>"When the island was occupied by the Greek navy [in 1912] Greek soldiers were sent to the villages and stationed themselves in the public squares. Some of us children ran to see what these Greek soldiers, these Hellenes, looked like. "What are you looking at?" One of them asked. "At Hellenes" we replied. "Are you not Hellenes yourselves?" He retorted. "No, we are Romans".
>Thus was the most ancient national identity in all of history finally absorbed and ended. Charanis [...] eventually came to consider himself an Hellene.

Anne de Gaulle was the youngest daughter of General Charles de Gaulle and his wife, Yvonne. She was born in Trier, Germany, where her father was stationed with the Army of Occupation in the Rhineland.

She was born with Down syndrome and lived with her family until her death in 1948. upon her diagoisis De Gaulle demanded Anne was raised to feel no less or different than anyone else. De Gaulle's relatives all testified that the General, who was normally undemonstrative in his affections for his family, was more open and extroverted with Anne. He would entertain her with songs, dances, pantomimes and acting like a child himself. One Colombey resident recalled how he used to walk with her hand-in-hand around the property, caressing her and talking quietly about the things she understood. Anna was, he said simply, “My joy. She helped me overcome the failures in all men, and to look beyond them.”

Anne died of pneumonia on 6 February 1948, aged 20, at Colombey-les-Deux-Églises. Upon her death, her father said: "Now, she's like the others."

On 22 August 1962, Charles de Gaulle was the victim of an attempted assassination at Petit-Clamart. He later said that the potentially fatal bullet had been stopped by the frame of the photograph of Anne that he always carried with him, placed this particular day on the rear shelf of his car. When he died in 1970, he was buried in the cemetery of Colombey beside his beloved daughter.

In her life, she could only utter one word: ‘Papa’

Heinz Heydrich was an Obersturmführer, journalist and publisher of the soldiers' newspaper, Die Panzerfaust. He was at first a fervent admirer of Hitler. But before Reinhard Heydrich’s State funeral in Berlin in June 1942, Heinz Heydrich had been given a large packet containing his brother’s files, released from his strongbox at Gestapo Headquarters, 8 Prinz-Albrecht-Strasse, Berlin. Heinz had shut himself away in his room with the papers. Next morning his wife noticed that her husband had sat up all night burning the documents from the package. Heinz, on leave from the front, could not be engaged in conversation, his wife remembered; he seemed to be elsewhere mentally, and like stone. The files in the package were probably Reinhard Heydrich’s personal files, from which Heinz Heydrich understood for the first time in all its enormity the systematic extermination of the Jews, the so-called Final Solution.Thereafter, Heinz Heydrich helped many Jews escape by forging identity documents and printing them on Die Panzerfaust presses.

When in November 1944 an economic commission headed by a State Attorney investigated the editorial staff of Panzerfaust, Heinz Heydrich thought he had been discovered and shot himself in order to protect his family from the Gestapo. In reality, the attorney knew nothing about the forgeries, and was only trying to find out the reason for shortages in paper supplies.

Poor Jackie.

>"Oh, no ... I want them to see what they have done to John."

Jewish German soldiers celebrating Hanukkah in the heart of WW1.

Nah, she was just marveling at LBJ's behemoth dick.

>Badly mishandled. Nose broken at last interrogation. My time is up. Was not a traitor.
Did my duty as a German. If you survive, please tell my wife...I die for my fatherland. I have a clear conscience. I only did my duty to my country when I tried to oppose the criminal folly of Hitler. -Morse coded last words of Admiral Canaris to Colonel Landing in cell next to him April 9th, 1945 before he was hung on as meat hook.

>defend your country against Germans, destroy 7 tanks
>get into conspiracy
>as a volunteer, accept fake identity that will get you to Auchwitz, to look for the lost friend
>get to Auschwitz as a prisioner, set one of the biggest conspiracy networks in the camp
>make a group of prisioners escape in camp commander's own car
>escape the camp yourself, find the lost friend
>fight in Warsaw uprising
>set a new conspiracy network after the war, that opposes the communist regime
>get arrested by commies, write that comparing to their interrogation, "Auschwitz was a child's play"
>get sentenced to death and shot by new, communist polish regime
"I tried to live so, in the hour of death I would be happy rather than fear" captain Witold Pilecki's last words

why did they considr themselves roman? did they mean ottoman? or eastern roman and not understanding that the byzantines fell?

They were under ottoman rule but their ancestry was Byzantine and the place was very isolated. There were some uses and language patterns unique to it that got lost forever. I can't find the quote anymore but I recall a scholar bemoaning the loss of this uniqueness due to modern Greek society influence and stuff that got destroyed/tampered with because of the Balkan wars

>Upon her death, her father said: "Now, she's like the others."

God dammit, Im at work for christs sake.

In an era where children with disabilities were institutionalized, lobotomized or euthanized, De Gaulle chose to simply embrace and love her.

;_;

Wilhelm II's son had a Downs child too. His fifth child and first daughter, Alexandrine (or "Adini") had Down syndrome. It is said that she was very much a part of the family, despite the popularity of the Eugenics movement at the time.

Born in 1915, Princess Alexandrine was welcomed into the family.She was educated privately at a school for special needs students called Trüpersche Sonderschule in Jena, from 1932 to 1934, living out the war in Niederpöcking in Bavaria and then retiring to a house near Lake Starnberg. Her death in 1980 indicates that she was spared Hitler's Aktion T4, quite possibly due to her royal heritage and her father's open support of Hitler through his rise to power.

Cosplayers are worse than furfags desu

What does that have to do with anything?

Greeks were roleplaying as romans.

like what "others"? dead down-syndrome kids?

Found the downie on the thread.

i'm being serious. what makes "she's dead" sadder than saying "she's with the others now." the latter isn't even poetic or anything its just sort of evasive. and in what context did he say it? what if he was in a nice restaurant drunk on champagne and laughed in relief saying that same phrase?

She's "like", not "with".

He implies that in death (or heaven), she's no different than other, non-downey children.

>Johnston, like Lee, never forgot the magnanimity of the man to whom he surrendered, and would not allow an unkind word to be said about Sherman in his presence. Sherman and Johnston corresponded frequently and they met for friendly dinners in Washington whenever Johnston traveled there.

>When Sherman died, Johnston served as an honorary pallbearer at his funeral; during the procession in New York City on February 19, 1891, he kept his hat off as a sign of respect in the cold, rainy weather. Someone with concern for the old general's health asked him to put on his hat, to which Johnston replied "If I were in his place and he were standing here in mine, he would not put on his hat." He caught a cold that day, which developed into pneumonia, and he died several weeks later in Washington, D.C.

True. Started off cosplaying, then got too lazy for even that and just kept the name.

This one always gets me.

too be fair, he probably would have caught pneumonia anyway. wearing a hat probably would have made little difference.

Ok, i get it now, but in theavery literal sense she was is still a downey in death. She'd be remembered as a downey (albeit a pleasant one, as most of them are), and if you literally dug her up and extracted her dna you see she was a down syndrome child. Even in heaven she would be a down-syndrome kid probably. Gaul is engaging in wishful thinking, so to me the story is meant to tell us something about de gaulle; that despite his cold exterior he had a passionate love for his daughter, which is stating the obvious i guess.

In the eyes of God none of his children are unequal.

;_;7

>When Adams died, his last words included an acknowledgement of his longtime friend and rival: "Thomas Jefferson survives", though Adams was unaware that Jefferson had died several hours before.

:'( rip

The death of Constantine XI, a fitting way to go for the last emperor of the Romans.

>The Emperor remarked, "The city is fallen and I am still alive." Then he tore off his imperial ornaments so as to let nothing distinguish him from any other soldier and led his remaining soldiers into a last charge where he was killed.

while other account reported that he tore off his regalia to disguise himself as a peasant woman, he tried to flee the city but was killed by turks who didnt know his identity

fitting end for sucha pathetic empire desu

Always two sides to history huh?

Delet this

reminder that byzantium is not roman

>falling for Ottoman propaganda