BOOK RECS, BOOK SHARING AND Veeky Forums CHARTS

Thought I'd make a new thread dedicated to making and sharing charts. It can also double as a book discussion thread. Unfortunately I'm back in school so I don't think I'll be making so many this week. But I encourage other anons to pick up the slack. If Veeky Forums and other boards can make their own content to share, we should be able to as well desu. Don't be afraid to discuss and share your thoughts about books you're reading or have read.

If you want to try you're hand at making charts on a particular theme or time period, but don't know what books to use, I recommend taking a look at my pastebin filled with tons of oxford bibliographies:

pastebin.com/u/jonstond2

It's tedious work combing through these and find the works you want, but maybe try to narrow your focus so small time periods, particular historical events (e.g. russian revolution, thirty years' war) or narrow themes (e.g. medieval peasant clothing or some random thing like that)

Some recommended topics to look into:
Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth, Prussia, Scandinavia, Vikings, Anglo-Saxon England, Medieval and Dark Age Ireland, French Revolution, American Revolution, Civil War, the Crusades

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/3YKXqsqp
pastebin.com/Sup8mzgW
pastebin.com/GuATVPtM
pastebin.com/GhXx5jyw
pastebin.com/nfgxA8rr
pastebin.com/mAwavvZf
pastebin.com/NQm9DpPU
pastebin.com/sxW0tmT5
pastebin.com/Fw6QZyLe
pastebin.com/guPsv4cK
pastebin.com/NEkhdCeR
pastebin.com/xFsDqcd9
asnc.cam.ac.uk/resources/research/gts2-VikBibl2004.pdf
hist.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/tripos-papers/part-i-papers-2016-2017
pastebin.com/u/jonstond2
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ!8JhxSLJJ
mega.nz/#F!flYQGbzI!p1AFjtMuCLHQqocJqxV7rg!fkYxUbyR
pastebin.com/29DjZKJf
pastebin.com/D52Suy4q
pastebin.com/Y6rTSpqk
pastebin.com/ezVRHj8g
pastebin.com/uDv4e2F0
pastebin.com/PcEEBim1
pastebin.com/MnGTvEWt
pastebin.com/ha2Q1Edz
pastebin.com/wpx3NS1N
pastebin.com/H0xz7Njd
pastebin.com/jhkeMNJU
pastebin.com/vBP1U1rg
pastebin.com/MLFXmx1x
pastebin.com/search_self?uq=jew
pastebin.com/902sxX4C
pastebin.com/n2w5uFie
pastebin.com/MZa6U2Fa
pastebin.com/WGqYYVGS
pastebin.com/DhShAReV
pastebin.com/0p8PFt0T
libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=8D4540FD0BEED9098DF7B6E221D22490
pastebin.com/6U8GUExP
pastebin.com/D78YeDyg
pastebin.com/TXt8FGE5
pastebin.com/MgFVxiX4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Even easier, I've already found a lot of works on particular subjects but I'm too busy to organize what I have and cut down material to a level acceptable to fit on a chart. You can to make charts on this stuff before I eventually get to it! Also don't hesitate to make charts from some of these lists:

Ottonians, Salians and Hohenstaufens: pastebin.com/3YKXqsqp
Medieval Poland: pastebin.com/Sup8mzgW
China: pastebin.com/GuATVPtM
Ireland: pastebin.com/GhXx5jyw
Scotland: pastebin.com/nfgxA8rr
Valois and Habsburg Burgundy/ the Medieval Low Countries (~1300-1550): pastebin.com/mAwavvZf
Celts/Romanization of the Celts: pastebin.com/NQm9DpPU
Ancient Nubia/Axum/Libya/Sahara: pastebin.com/sxW0tmT5
Czechs/Bohemia and Moravia: pastebin.com/Fw6QZyLe
Hungarian History: pastebin.com/guPsv4cK
Victorians (Mostly stuff on technology, industrialisation, literary reactions, working/middle/upper class history): pastebin.com/NEkhdCeR
switzerland: pastebin.com/xFsDqcd9

Here is a bibliography with an exhaustive list on primary and secondary sources on the vikings
asnc.cam.ac.uk/resources/research/gts2-VikBibl2004.pdf

a lot of books on european history can be found in these reading lists as well
hist.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/tripos-papers/part-i-papers-2016-2017

now onto the less stellar charts. i'm gonna tone down the irony in pic related but the chart itself is done.

This one i'll keep the irony on but i've gotta update it with more books, among other things.

This one needs to be improved with a few changes here and there but is basically done.

This one can also use a makeover

bump

Does anyone have a chart for the Great War?

Dumping some content as payment:
>pastebin.com/u/jonstond2
A collection of dozens of Oxford bibliographies about various subjects

>mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ!8JhxSLJJ
A collection of nearly all the Osprey Publishing in PDF format. It's also where you get great reaction images from, pic related.

>mega.nz/#F!flYQGbzI!p1AFjtMuCLHQqocJqxV7rg!fkYxUbyR
Has a large amount of classics, plus various miscellaneous items like esoteric nonsense and other topics

Any book recommendations for US meddling in European politics post WW2? Particularly in France?

I posted your first link in the OP. I'm its creator. You can find several world war one bibliographies in there, but making a chart is on my list of things to do.

this one looks relevant
Brogi, Alessandro. Confronting America: The Cold War between the United States and the Communists in France and Italy. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 2011.
>Brogi argues that political opposition in France and Italy forced the United States to reconsider its strategies to combat communism, its image, and what its “liberal capitalist culture and ideology” meant. Conversely, he argues that the resistance to Americanism by Italian and French Communist Parties provided a test for their “legitimacy and existence.”

Cool that Brogi book does sound exactly like what I'm looking for. Thanks user!

made this for all those who took the balkpill

bump

I want a suggestion on Argentinean history, either in english or spanish. Suggestion on books about other latin american countries would be nice too

the balkpill scares me man

Gimme some Indochina, specifically from about the 17th century up through the current day. I've always had a weird desire to learn more about Burma and Siam specifically.

Also some Venice would be nice. I've read Norwich's and Crowley's but those are more pop history I suppose. Please do not recommend Madden.

first few sections of this link have books covering argentina's 20th century history pretty well.
pastebin.com/29DjZKJf
this is on argentina in the era of mass migration (~1860-1920s)
pastebin.com/D52Suy4q
heres one on the dictator who ruled argentina before the republic, juan manuel de rosas
pastebin.com/Y6rTSpqk
this one is on peron and peronism
pastebin.com/ezVRHj8g

on venice there's these
pastebin.com/uDv4e2F0
pastebin.com/PcEEBim1
if you're looking for another general work try frederic lane's work, which is considered the classic general history. william mcneill's hinge of europe is also another option. there are others listed in the links.

>Burma and Siam specifically
Neither of those states are Indochina.

> Indochina
se asian precolonial warfare
pastebin.com/MnGTvEWt
20th century french empire
pastebin.com/ha2Q1Edz
i'll post two more articles on the indochina wars 1945-75 and colonial se asian warfare if you're interested

suggest Christian books please.

on the jews and their lies

what kind? histories or christian literature?

Anyone have a Third Reich chart?

Can someone recommend me something like this but about Rome?

not yet
this chart from Veeky Forums has something similar to that greek book.

This is great, thanks a lot. And what about further reading on Greece after the book that i've posted.

greek history is very diverse; is there anything that struck you as particularly interesting that you'd like to learn about when reading?

>and what about further reading on Greece after the book that i've posted.

The 2nd peloponessian war, persian wars, Macedonian campaigns.

Much obliged, satan.

Thank you for all this.

say no more senpai
np user

God bless.

here are the other two bibliographies as promised
colonial se asian military history
pastebin.com/wpx3NS1N
indochina wars ,1945-1975
pastebin.com/H0xz7Njd

Anyone have some late antiquity?

Will definitely give those a look. Any more general histories too? It just seems like certain regions/countries (Myanmar, SE Asia and Central Asia in general) are hard to find good general histories for.

anyone got recs on spain?

Recs on the far east?

well if you want central asian stuff look in here, though i'm not sure what kind of survey you're looking for
pastebin.com/jhkeMNJU

>It just seems like certain regions/countries (Myanmar, SE Asia and Central Asia in general) are hard to find good general histories for.
do you mean books that cover all periods of a country's history?

>late antiquity
check out this chart for some stuff
then this bibliography on roman late antiquity
pastebin.com/vBP1U1rg

gotta do some stuff but i'll get to you guys later. tell me what periods or regions you're interested in though so i can narrow my search

Anything on how the current politics of the Middle East have risen?

Anything on Slavs,Jews(from Middle Ages to Present), or the Eastern Front?

are there charts like this for other religions? Hinduism, Islam, Buddhism etc.?

If you want stuff on Jews, read "Rome and Jerusalem: A clash of ancient Civilizations", it's a great understanding of the development of anti Jewish attitudes in Christianity and the European populace thanks to political propaganda of the Emperors

If you want eastern front, I hear Bloodlands is good

umayyad caliphate, 'siglo de oro', second republic/civil war/franco

regions, probably most interested in andalucia

Requesting thsi as well

>do you mean books that cover all periods of a country's history?
Yeah or at least a decent period. If it's any indication I generally like good "survey" style books like Iron Kingdom.

I want to get into Chinese literature more. What confucian texts are worth reading? Is it even worth it to read Confucius and Mencius, or should I read an essay from a modern Chinese scholar explaining the tenets of Confucianism and the followers' views. If it's a better idea to read the primary sources, would Anelects be a good starting place?

>no Origen

Bump

> current politics of the Middle East have risen?
like in the last few years or the last two or three decades?
I think this bibliography will have the books you want
pastebin.com/MLFXmx1x
not that i know of. I would make one but problem is i don't know too much about them so i wouldn't know which books to focus on other than intro works.
>jews
I can get lots of books on jews from those times but I don't know what to recommend. Do you want a general history or something?
this bib is on modern jewish history for example
pastebin.com/search_self?uq=jew
as for eastern front i have this book list on zhukov
pastebin.com/902sxX4C
since i've reached the pastebin creating limit I've pasted an article on the Eastern Front in the Zhukov article. ctrl f "rvsso" to skip to that part. ctrl f "stal1ngrad" to get to an article on stalin grad; "kvrsk" for books on the battle of kursk.

>Umayyad caliphate
pastebin.com/n2w5uFie
>spanish golden age
pastebin.com/MZa6U2Fa
>second republic/civil war/franco
spanish civil war
pastebin.com/WGqYYVGS
ctrl f spain in here for works on franco's regime
pastebin.com/DhShAReV
stanley payne also has a good book called "The Fall of the Second Republic" which was good.
also this one on spanish military history seems to have a good collection of works on the civil war and the previous section also covers the spanish campaigns in morocco in the 1920s by primo de rivera's father who was dictator
pastebin.com/0p8PFt0T
> andalucia
do you the moorish heritage or the history of the province in general?

well i've found a lot of general works on central asia and southeast asia. i'll post tomorrow if you're interested

Anything on the spread of Hellenism in Persia, Central Asia and India? Especially material on Hellenism and Buddhism

Also anything on Siddhartha Gautama as a historical figure. The historical and social context in which Buddhism originated and spread would be appreciated.

dunno if this is the thread for this but it's worth a shot. Does anyone have "Introduction to Medieval Europe 300-1500"

ISBN: 9780415675871

thanks lad

>do you the moorish heritage or the history of the province in general?

probably most interested in the cultural mix of the place, the moorish influence and things this has created that are seen as uniquely andalucian (whether it's food, music, writing, whatever)

but those pastebins are more than enough to be looking into anyway

maybe? libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=8D4540FD0BEED9098DF7B6E221D22490

>not that i know of. I would make one but problem is i don't know too much about them so i wouldn't know which books to focus on other than intro works.

i think as a starting point the introductory works would be fine for now, until a more complete guide comes up.

not OP but i'm interested in this as well.

no, sadly not. That's one from 1937, I'm looking for a more recent one by Wim Blockmans and Peter Hoppenbrouwers

books about early slavs? especially south ones...

amazing thread, thanks anons

how do you find out all this stuff though?

P. Stephenson, Byzantium's Balkan Frontier: A Political Study of the Northern Balkans, 900-1204 (2000).
A.P. Vlasto, The entry of the Slavs into Christendom (1970)
J. Shepard, Emergent Elites and Byzantium in the Balkans and East-Central Europe (2011)
J.V.A. Fine, Jr., The Early Medieval Balkans (1983)
F. Curta, Southeastern Europe in the Middle Ages, 500-1250 (2006)
J. Ferluga, Byzantium on the Balkans (1976) C. Frazee, ‘The Balkans between Rome and Constantinople in the early Middle Ages 600–900’, Balkan Studies 2 (1993), 213–28
F. Curta and R. Kovalev (eds.), The Other Europe in the Middle Ages: Avars, Bulgars, Khazars, and
Cumans (2008)
F. Dvornik, Byzantine Missions among the Slavs: SS Constantine-Cyril and Methodius (1970)
P. Barford, The Early Slavs: Culture and Society in Early Medieval Europe (2001)
F. Curta, The Making of the Slavs: History and Archaeology of the Lower Danube Region, c. 500–700 (2001)
I. Supicic (ed.), Croatia in the Early Middle Ages: A Cultural Survey (1999)
M. Innes, ‘Franks and Slavs c. 700–c. 1000: the problem of European expansion before the millennium’, Early Medieval Europe 6 (1997), 201–16

pic related for hellenism

i've also found this
Wall, Irwin M. The United States and the Making of Postwar France, 1945–1954. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 1991.
DOI: 10.1017/CBO9780511523779

pastebin.com/6U8GUExP

Recommended reads on Imperialism?

buddhism in historical context

bibliography on imperialism
pastebin.com/D78YeDyg
european imperialism in the muslim world
pastebin.com/TXt8FGE5
imperialism and china
pastebin.com/MgFVxiX4

Thank you

requesting a Napoleon chart pls

i can't this weekend, but what would you like to see on it, though?

Thanks a lot

I thought I would share what I've read so far.

>The Tragedy of the Templars: The Rise and Fall of the Crusader States by Michael Haag
This book was alright. I learned a good bit about the crusades and the Templars. It could've been better if it focused more on the Templars though.

>Carthage Must Be Destroyed by Richard Miles
A great book that gives an overview of the Punic Wars and the relations between the Roman and Carthaginian empires.

>Yugoslavia: Death of a Nation
So much shit happens in this book. It's wonderful. It's kinda like a gigantic convoluted drama with tons of characters. I found myself wanting multiple people on opposing sides of the wars to succeed. The main problem with this book is that it doesn't really catch you up to the modern day situation in the Balkans. Also, it's completely unsympathetic to the Serbs. I'm not sure if this is justified or not. Some Serbs on Veeky Forums have claimed they were justified in the wars. Anyways, it was a great book.

>The Cold War: A New History by John Lewis Gaddis
Probably the most well written book on history that I've read so far. It gives an overview of the entire Cold War. I loved reading this book. Instead of being a completely chronological account of the "war", it went through different areas of the war, but still remained mostly chronological. I wish the book spent more time on the ending of the war though. I felt like more could be said about Gorbachev, Reagan, and Thatcher. It just felt a little rushed towards the end. Also, I'm not sure if this is a bad thing or not, but the author is not sympathetic towards communism at all. That's probably justified, but I can understand that some more open minded people might be taken aback by that.

I'm back for my threadly shilling of stokesbury's short histories of the world wars. They're great one-volume primers on the conflicts and are written in a lucid, narrative style.

Books that cover American History in depth, including important law cases and events/signings that are not heavily covered in American schools?

Any recommendations on pre-Roman Spain?

check celts link here
books on preroman spain in english are hard to find but some of the books covering roman spain also talk about preroman spain

Can anyone recommend a book on the wars of roses?

>including important law cases
There are a metric fuckton of books on SCOTUS cases and how they affect constitutional interpretation.

He Ctrl+Fs university book lists and academic bibliographies because he's likely an actual Veeky Forums major instead of some pophistory fuckwit. If it's the user I'm thinking of, he literally just Ctrl+Fs Oxford bibliographies.

4u

Thanks

Do you know of any general books on it? These seem to be kinda "niche"

carpenter, the second hicks book and the first pollard book are all general works...

some of these books cost like up to 50$ on amazon. Any advice user? im a poorfag

ILL or pedo them if available

bookzz.org
or
libgen.io
I find maybe between 50%-80% of the time, depending on the subject, I can find the books I want free on these two sites. bookzz is simply a mirror of libgen but i find its interface nicer to use. However, if you see a book deleted on bookzz by a publisher, libgen will still have a working download.

If any of the titles has a DOI code you can copy that code into
sci-hub.cc
and you'll be able to get free access to the ebook behind some university paywall the site uses.

second pollard book* i mean

Any good recs on post-Civil War through Pre-World War I America? Overviews/surveys, biographies, etc. I've especially liked the "high political" stuff of the era and after reading Peskin's Garfield biography a year or so back I've been wanting to learn more. Same with the settlement/expansion of the west. Hopefully something fairly objective instead of "DA EBUL CAPITALISTS AND ROBBER BARONS AND POOR INJUNS" or whatever since that's all I can seem to find.

any recommendations on Christopher Columbus, Hernan Cortes, and the conquest of the Aztecs?

Henry VIII? Cromwell? The English Civil War?

I'm no historian but I like reading history books as a hobby, particularly overviews.

Currently waiting for these to arrive:

>The Habsburg Empire: A New History by Pieter M. Judson

>The Glorious Cause: The American Revolution, 1763-1789 (Oxford History of the United States) by Robert Middlekauff

>The Making of Modern Japan by Marius B. Jansen

>The Pursuit of Glory: The Five Revolutions that Made Modern Europe: 1648-1815 (The Penguin History of Europe) by Tim Blanning

I've been reading Clark's The Sleepwalkers, which has been an excellent read.

Didn't I show you which bibliographies to look at last thread...? If you want some more personal recommendations, Richard Rex's "The Tudors" is a short nicely written introduction on that dynasty. It has the advantage of giving a coherent view of England over the 16th century. John Guy's Tudor England is a general survey but you might get drowned in the details. Alan Smith's "The Emergence of a Nation State, 1529-1660" I found it a better laid out survey. It also has the advantage of covering from Henry VIII all the way to Cromwell. Guy's survey has the advantage of starting from Henry VII's victory at Bosworth 1485 through Elizabeth I's reign, with constant reference to the Wars of the Roses and the long-term that it set in motion before the Tudors (e.g. emasculation of the nobility through attainder, enforcement of feudal dues, and such). Anyway, if you're not the guy from the last thread, I can just give you the bibliographies you need for these subjects.

I also recommend reading "What Hath God Wrought," which covers the period between the 1810s and the 1850s. I liked Glorious Cause and Battlecry of Freedom but the book above gives fantastic coverage of a period that's relatively neglected in US history.

Please Islam one!!! ty :)