What can children's games tell us about humans

There seems to be certain games that children play regardless of geographical location or socioeconomic status. Male human children seem inexorably drawn towards playing war and pretending to kill people. From what I've heard this was even the case in Roman times which children would play Gladiator or legionary, and no doubt it stretches back into hallowed antiquity.

Why is that? Is violence against others of our own species so ingrained in our genetic code? If so, why do we seek to suppress that which is the very thing that we are composed of? A house divided against itself cannot stand, and a man cannot serve two masters. Is it any wonder that modern man is so conflicted about everything when he fights his nature at every turn in order to be a part of this artificial construct called Society?

I'm not advocating completely embracing violence in all situations, but the fact is that the impulse is there, its DAMNED strong and it cannot be ignored. I just wish to point it out.

We spent, as humans, the mass majority of our existence as violent killers only up until a few hundred years ago when big cities became a thing. And yet, if one acts in accordance with the drives we have developed over the Millennia he's ostracized and shunned from society as not really being human when in fact he is more human than everyone in society put together. Which also leads me into the subject of modern society's disdain for all things natural to the point where it's considered special and unique when are food there's the label "organic", but that's something completely different.

What do you think?

Interesting thread. I think you may have answered your own question in your description though. I think its learned. Boys watch there fathers who watched their fathers, glory in the ancient world was usually obtained through warfare and it represents power- the power to take another human life.

>boys have to be taught and conditioned to be aggressive and competitive

When will biological denialism and blank slateism finally die?

Tribalism is ingrained deeply in human behavior. Children naturally form groups and cliques very early. The concept of "us" against "them" is pretty much the first thing a child will learn about society. It's how children learn about differences and conflicting opinions.

Never, my liberal friend, never. But you can eliminate it locally welcoming less developed tribes to conquer.

That children can't imagine the consequences of their action and are incredibly selfish.

Children are egotistical, as we grow we learn that cooperation gives better results.

Most children's games are set up so that at the end there is a clear winner and a clear loser.

You seem to consider society and violence to be two opposing things. I disagree.

Our species' whole thing is brainpower and social behavior. Being able to coordinate with each other to take down things that should be able to kill us and solve problems that we otherwise couldn't. Build shit, farm shit, etc. Sure, our biggest threat became other humans after that, but the answer was also society. Team up with others to outnumber and outsmart the jackasses who want to take your life/stuff/family.

And most of 'em weren't killers either, they were farmers and shepherds and priests and carpenters and prostitutes and every other thing people have come with. Humanity wasn't a bunch of fucking murderers before massive urbanization, they had better stuff to do. If they wanted to sate bloodlust they'd go watch whatever sport their culture came up with.

The reason society comes down hard on people who "act in accordance with the drives we have developed over the Millennia" is because they also have the drive to protect things they like, and to destroy those who would destroy things they like. The impulse to fight is strong, but so is the one to work together, especially if some asshole in the corner is threatening them.

Also nature sucks, it doesn't even have any vidya.

Sometimes.

Killing germanics and celts is a natural instinct of every living being.

humans are one of the least violent mammals
childrens play games their communities show them
they mimic adults, thats how they learn

no we didnt spend most of our times as violent killed

i wonder when will this meme die that we are wolfs to eachother, its certainly not true and if it were we would never advance this far

suggest reading a book or 2 in the subject

>"humans are animals" meme

stopped reading

Play is instinctive training.
All mammals play, and all mammals play according to the behaviors they are adapted to.
Cats and dogs play fight. Dogs chew and act territorial, while cats like to chase things that suddenly move and like to see things being ripped to shreds. Horses can be somewhat territorial, and their play is reflective of that.

Small boys love to fight and wrestle eachother. This is observed in chimps too. Girls like to roleplay as housewives and play a feminine role. We instinctively gravitate towards the roles we are pre-programmed to under take.

One important thing I have to mention is the role of depression in human nature.
Depression leads to suicide; suicide means that natural selection has chosen a non-depressed person. Unless depression served a collective function, the nature of depression would have been bred out before mammals existed, but it exists in ALL mammals.
Every cause of depression known to man has been a sociological cause; either a death of a loved one, bullying, high expectations, narcissism, etc. There is not a cause of depression that has ever been linked to anything but sociological issues. Majority of people in the modern world have experienced depression on some level, transgender people more than anyone, homosexuals less so, and so forth. Being ostracized in some way, either people misrepresenting who you are, or someone disparaging your name, or you being bullied by society; depression is just unrequited dishonour; mania is just unrequited honour. Bipolar people (like myself and my uncle) experience mania to a higher degree, but external forces give us that depressing low. Schizophrenics and people with MPD develop personalities that cope or adapt to their level of dishonour, either by creating a new identity, or by manifesting depression through visual or audible hallucinations or delusions.

Honestly your bipolar disorder is physiologically, not sociologically based. Anything else is a delusion, you're mentally ill and should be on drugs for the rest of your life.

Schizophrenics don't have multiple personalities. "MPD" doesn't exist.

Causes for depression vary a lot more than you think. Lack of exposure to sunlight and lack of physical activity are two common potential causes that have absolutely nothing to do with society and "dishonor".

It's called disassocative identity disorder nowadays and it certainly exists. And it's very poorly understood.

t. Been to a psych ward and interacted with one it's freaky shit

Why do you put yourself beyond animals? Just because you can shitpost on Veeky Forums?

>depression is just unrequited dishonour; mania is just unrequited honour.

this is interesting. What about the theory that depression, as a neurological state marked by a decrease in or general imbalance of neurochemicals, for the purpose of giving the creature a more objective view of perceived issues, environments, or conditions somehow acting as an obstacle?

>Honestly your bipolar disorder is physiologically
I was normal up until a few years ago when I was diagnosed. My uncle had a relatively normal life. A lot of people with BP led normal lives. In fact, I was cheery as a kid, like extremely manic; and when I drink, I get really manic; I'm a very manic person in general. I didn't start having depressive episodes until there was a sociological issue.

>Schizophrenics don't have multiple personalities. "MPD" doesn't exist.
I didn't say that schizos had multiple personalities, that's why I said "MPD" multiple personality disorder. They're too groups of relative the same idea. Take someone with a chemical imbalance, then force them to lead a depressing life, and they will exhibit various seemingly unrelated symptoms. For centuries, nobody understood what depression was, and it's only been in the last couple of centuries that we discovered that it could be caused by sociological issues. Within the last 10 years, sociological issues were considered the main cause. In my opinion, it is THE ONLY cause.

>Causes for depression vary a lot more than you think. Lack of exposure to sunlight and lack of physical activity are two common potential causes that have absolutely nothing to do with society and "dishonor".
I think the potential for sunlight and physical activity can probably result in a better chemical balance, but that's still not going to solve an issue that isn't chemical. It's still not going to treat the demographic of people whose issues aren't chemical.

I was once going to buy one of them expensive serval cats. At the time, I had enough land for it. But I was told that if I ripped a cat from its owners/parents too late of an age, it would starve itself and go into depression. That's the appropriate response for any mammal that no longer has the social validation it needs. We live in a society that deprives us of real social validation.

Sounds interesting, but that sounds a little complex.

I think the best answer is the simplest one.

In my opinion, there is no "Wild animal". All animals are "domesticated" by their own kind, so to speak. If we put a single human in a controlled environment to see how he'd grow and react, it would be a biased experiment, because we've already assumed that man is in his natural state by himself. Socialization is a biological function. The experiment or study would be incomplete without the presence of another human companion, someone to give him the validation that he needs. Without the validation, he ceases to be a functioning member of the human specie. We call him "Human" because of his DNA. The mitochondria and human cell are two separate things but work as one; likewise, you can't say that a man is complete only with his human DNA, while forgetting about the mitochondria or the gut bacteria and enzymes that help break down food.

my point:
Politicians and scientists everywhere have already assumed that depression is natural, because they assume that man in his natural state is an individual. And we should all realize this and wake up.

in essence humans strive to impress, or at least leave an impression on others; it's the natural state and part of the drive in life. A human with diminished social circles is more likely to exhibit depression? The issue of depression, as you say both from politicians and scientists, and further with theologians or philosophers, is that they take the concept of individuals seriously. An individual considered as such is almost definitely going to be depressed in some way or other owing to their individualism in the face of the previous assertion, that being humans are not meant to be by themselves or entirely considered separately?

>as a child I was happy
>when I drink I'm really happy
>negative events make me sad

Fuck I think I'm bipolar.