Did nothing wrong

press F to pay respect

>Respecting a bunch of protein-poisoned cannibals

>keeping sovereign nations within your borders for the sole purpose of constantly warring with them to obtain prisoners and sacrificing those prisoners to your god
Pretty metal desu.

>we will never see Tenochtitlan in it's glory days
fuck Cortes and fuck spanish people

Their diet was actually pretty healthy.

Damn I wish I could have seen some hearts getting ripped out an shiet

>neigboring king gives his daughter to you for marriage
>you lead her to the alter and then SURPRISE! Your man force her onto the sacrificial alter and you skin her alive
>invite the neighboring king for a friendly dinner
>come out wearing his daughter's skin
This is taking metal too far.

What is this about

What was their problem.

The floating gardens seem pretty cool if true

>empire
Looks like average country to me

>Your man force her onto the sacrificial alter and you skin her alive
they never skinned people alive, they sacrificed them in the temple by extracting the heart and then they skinned the dead body

About a sacrificed daughter of the king of Culhuacan, who was given in marriage to the Aztecs shortly after they arrived to the Valley of Mexico

literally an abomination, one of many. Which is why God destroyed their demagogic state

being human meat/sacrificial xp farms

So what do you think would've happened to them if the Conquistadors didn't show up?

They had as much population as the Spanish empire prior to the introduction of the diseases.

>looks like average country to me

Is it adequate to compare Mesoamerican civilizational development to European?

Like, Mayans being analogous to the Greeks and Mexica to Romans?

>if true

t. Santiago "god wills to dry this lake if we can't control the water level" Garcia

You telling me chinampas might not be real?

They are real they still exist today. That's like saying aqueducts in rome weren't real.

Somewhat in the sense that the Mexica came later and the Maya were much older, had city-states with distinct but similar culture and language, and had established a high culture several centuries prior. However, the Mexica were more directly influenced by the Toltecs and their successors.

Oh wait, I got everything mixed up. I mistakenly thought you were saying they might not be true.

Sorry, I need sleep.

the pic I posted is a chinampa

Aztecs would create a Teotihuacan 2.0

Third Mexican Empire when?

It's okay user, atleast you didn't try to argue with me that Tenochtitlan was actually the lost city of Atlantis like some other user in here.

soon user soon

F

The aztecs are very overrated. They were just a bunch of chichimecas (literally "barbarians" if you translate it) that took power only decades before the spanish reached there. The real great civilization that existed were the toltecs, that saw the aztecs and other foreigners as chichimecas.

Talking about the aztecs as "muh loook them" is like if aliens reached Italy in 500 AD and talked "hey, look these ostrogoths, they are the real thing here, the big civilization of these lands", when they forgot about the Roman Empire that existed before.

But the best thing about this is just imagine that if a bunch of chichimecas could become literally great in few decades, what could have happened next.

Fr fuck white people too also nice feels jpg

People like them more because the Toltecs did not leave as much behind. Tula is also not as impressive as Tenochtitlan. Chichen Itza was a greater version of Tula. Cholula and Teotihuacan are the only cities that could rival Tenochtitlan in greatness, one was only ruins in the Aztec times and the other was a shadow of its former self by then. The Zapotecs didn't give Tenochtitlan the title of Tollan for nothing.

What are some good books about the Aztecs and other mesoamerican peoples?

[F] one day we will rise again we just need to praise our old Gods again

What's that unconquered area under Tochtepec? And who's Metztitlan?

Yeah, they had their chance.

Civil war probably.

Name 1 (one) reason for that to happen.
Even when Moctezuma was killed and Cuitlahuac, the heir, died from smallpox 40 days after assuming the throne, people didn't go to civil war.
The Spanish got their allies only after the Mesoamericans saw how superior was their technology. Their biggest allies, the Tlaxcalans, fought the Spanish many times until they realized that it was better to have the Spanish on their side.

Central mexico was experiencing terrible droughts and cocoloztli was killing many of them. Also tlaxcallans allying with spaniards shows they weren't content with mexica domination

Except the Aztecs were the same race as the Toltecs. Both were Nahuas.

Eating human flesh leads to prion diseases.

>Central mexico was experiencing terrible droughts
During the most devastating of those, the Aztecs sold their sons in temporary serfdom to the Totonacs, No coup d'etat or such things happened.

>cocoloztli was killing many of them
There's still no consensus on wheter Cocoliztli was a pre-columbian disease or not. Either way, they still didn't go to civil war.

>Also tlaxcallans allying with spaniards shows they weren't content with mexica domination
The Italians, French, Dutch, English, Germans, Ottomans and Berbers were not content with the Spanish domination either. That didn't mean the Spanish were prone to a civil war.

they didn't eat human flesh that is just Spanish slander. They did however make human sacrifices and skin the dead that is true

No, they claimed to be Toltecs but they were not. The were migrants that appropriated Toltec identity and culture to justify their power over central mexico.

But they were still the same race as the Toltecs. I'll agree with you that they had no prior accomplishments, though.

Aztecs and chimimecas had different languages.

Not him, but, some of them actually ate human flesh, but of course, not as part of their diet. They had a system which worked similar to the Greek city states in terms of every town or city having a special deity. The ones with the god of war used to burn alive prisoners and then every citizen or inhabitant had to go and pic a piece of flesh and eat it.

That area is the altepetl of Teotitlan, which remained independant because it controled the trade routes of the region and was an important access to Oaxaca, the Mayan highlands and Central America. The neutrality of Teotitlan allowed the Aztecs to maintain their network of merchant-spies and follow the politics in the region, among them the Zapotecs, who allied with Tenochtitlan by a royal marriage after Ahuizotl failed to siege the fortress of Guiengola (pic related).
Northern of Teotitlan a Cuicatec altepetl rebelled against the Aztec Triple Alliance during the reign of Moctezuma Ilhuicamina, but instead of capturing the important warriors for sacrifice and increasing the tributary burden as they usually punished rebels, the historic sources indicate that the whole population was killed, included turkeys and dogs.
The settlement was repopulated by 500 Mexica families, probably many of them experienced Tlatelolcan traders.

Metztitlan on the other hand, was a multi-ethnic altepetl founded by Xaltocan, which in turn was founded by Otomi nobles who fled from Tula after it was invaded by the Chichimecs. Xaltocan was located on an island of the same system of lakes in which the Aztecs founded Tenochtitlan. Similarly to the fate of the Cuicatec settlement, Xaltocan's population was replaced after it was conqured by the other two altepetl founded by the fleeing Toltecs who settled in the Valley of Mexico, the Acolhuas and the Tepanecs. The king of Xaltocan fled to Metztitlan and rebuilt its position from there.

>it controled the trade routes of the region and was an important access to Oaxaca, the Mayan highlands and Central America
better map for reference

Oh yeah you're right they were all nahuan people but different ancestries.

Could they have bested the Spanish by working together.

But at a man gets tired of beans, no?

Would you prefer meatloaf?

Unless some friendly Portuguese merchants have traded them fireweapons like they did with the Japanese, I doubt they would have defeated a considerable bigger expedition than the one of Cortes. The battle of Otumba shows the abysmal Mesoamerican disadvantages, particularly steel arms and horses.
Still, the Mexica could have easily defeated the Spanish had they not been trying to capture them alive.