Is (modern) Greece eastern or western culturally?

Is (modern) Greece eastern or western culturally?

Mediterranian.

Depends on what criteria you use.

>eastern culture
>western culture
Define those.

They started western civilization basically..

I'd say Orthodox and Muslim majority European countries aren't Western. But they surely are European.

Eastern culture isn't even a thing lol. You've been playing too much EUIV

Western. Eastern Christian.

Denends if you use the Modern, Medieval or Ancient division between East and West.

For most of history they were closer to the "Orient" than Western Europe(The Romans, the Catholics, The Protestants and Colonial Empire)
To the point that the Bavarian king that tried to "Westernise" Greece was hated and despised

Even during the cold war era you had the "Eastern Party" which explains why Greece sided with Palestine

>Muh east and west

Keep believing that bullshit while you interact with people from various places on earth both "eastern" and "western" with no awareness or ability to see what the actual nationality of that person is

Seriously how can people be nationalistic and browse Veeky Forums?

Outside of hating Australians.

Turkish

>being a nationalist means you hate other nations
uhm no

Eastern Europe is not part of the West.

There are some exceptions like the Czechs, Poles, Slovenians, Hungarians and Croats.

But everyone who is eastern Orthodox and not Catholic cannot be considered western since countries that are Orthodox majorities are the children of Byzantium. Western Europe is the child of the Catholic Church and Charlemagne.

Greece is a stunning example of a country that kept its Byzantine heritage fanatically, even though it was almost completely westernised by the 20th century.

They are Orthodox and use a para-Cyrillic alphabet, but they aren't culturally far from places like Southern Italy or Spain.

>Greece
>uses para-Cyrillic alphabet.
Are u for real...

I am Greek. Shoot questions.

>all it takes to be considered "Western" or not is religion
>religion is irrelevant in most of Western Europe today

So are they not Western anymore?

> para-Cyrillic alphabet
Nice one.
t. Cyrillic user

>para-Cyrillic alphabet
What did he mean by this

>Adjusting antiquated radical right words to make your movement edgier

Why do people who think differently do stuff like this. Nationalism was a militant love and pride in your country, 19th-20th century nationalism believed in a much more divided world than what the internet has shown us to be true.

Nationalism isn't "My food is better, my women are hotter and my nature is prettier" that's just civic pride

>what the internet has shown us to be true.

You.... Actually believe that because you can speak to mudshits through the internet this makes us all "global citizens"?

God damn. I bet you believed the Arab Spring back 2011 was all about secularism, liberal democracy and women's rights too.

>Nationalism isn't "My food is better, my women are hotter and my nature is prettier" that's just civic pride

Meaningless in a world (western) where identity basically amounts to travel documents.

bro for 1 ur maps missing constantinople

Back then Nationalism was a very in touch with reality idea.
Modern self-proclaimed nationalists are Larper's, back them would probably shill for the dying empires...
...but it shows a void in the structure...

Yeah. Fuck Australia. Bunch a cunts.

>You.... Actually believe that because you can speak to mudshits through the internet this makes us all "global citizens"?
You.... Actually believe that nationalism is "fuck the mudshits" you're as bad as the Liberals who think fascism is just racism

fpbp