Do jews and christians believe the other gods like the ones people used to practice idolotry for exist at all or is...

Do jews and christians believe the other gods like the ones people used to practice idolotry for exist at all or is their stance that these gods are just fictional? I know they don't believe these gods are equal to their own god, but I don't know if that's because they're nonexistent or just because they're lesser spiritual entities.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=7JiDqNAaXpc
m.youtube.com/watch?v=GFpS0OG6HfY
youtube.com/watch?v=wmOEiKoHYdU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yes demons exist.

Somehow all other religions on Earth are wrong but theirs is totes real.

The stance is generally that all polytheistic deities are completely fictional and that any monotheistic deities that aren't Yahweh, are either fictional or a false re-imagining of the one true god.

Yam and Mot were deities worshipped in the larger caanite area surrounding Israel by various non-israelite tribes. Yam was a sea god, Mot his buddy the god of death. They were two main evil gods in canaanite polytheistic religions.

Now what happens in the Genesis creation story that the God of Israel divides Yam, the sea (yes it literally says yam in hebrew in genesis 1) under the earth and above the firmanent, making land and creatures possible. Also Yams pets, the levathians seems to be pre-existent to creation in some jewish texts.Mot is also mentioned in the bible.

Of course, nowhere in the hebrew texts is it said these are gods, nor are they given any respect. But if one speaks purely textual and not theologically, it presents a way in which the jews incorporated two very powerful (and evil) gods of their neighbours in their own religion. Namely, that the God of Israel defeated them at the beginning of creation (one could assume ordened creation would not be possible with two chaotic gods).

Theologically, of course there is only one God in judaism and christianity.

I fucking love the return of Samurai Jack. Ecspecially Aku.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=7JiDqNAaXpc
m.youtube.com/watch?v=GFpS0OG6HfY

Can you accurately judge the morphology of languages? Oh wait, you don't have any education in linguistics? Then STFU, you stupid burger.

youtube.com/watch?v=wmOEiKoHYdU

They're idols, not gods. They are impotent.

As far as I can tell, Catholicism allows for the possibility that they actually existed in some form. Of course, they're not, strictly speaking, actually gods. What they are, or might have been, is up for debate. They could possibly have been fallen angels, such as demons. They could be the Nephilim, the half-angel hybrids spoken of in Genesis. They could be other entities created by God that rebelled against him, even though their creation is not mentioned in the Bible. Remember, the creation of the angels isn't mentioned in the Bible, either.

There's some disagreement, but their existence isn't strictly denied. It's absolutely forbidden to worship them, however. Only God should be worshiped. This is the mistake the Israelites make more than once.

Is it OK to worship one of them if you make sure their idol is really nice looking and made out of solid gold?

that is one rare ass pepe.

Absolutely fucking NOT.

what if its a cow? cows are good

First post best post. Other gods are fallen angels pretending so they can be worshipped. This is Catholic Canon.

Makes sense that Catholic would think that.

Idols are hunks of lifeless metal.
Other gods are fallen angels or whatever devil of choice.

1. Idols of wood and stone
2. Fallen angels
3. Nephilim (such as the Greek Titans)
4. Satan/Lucifer himself

Paganism started in Babel, after the Flood.
Nimrod / Semiramis / Tammuz unholy trinity.

When God dispersed the people by confusing their languages, everyone took the Babylonian paganism with them. Pagan pantheons are all the same, just with different names (Isis, Osiris, Horus, and Greco-Roman pantheons, etc).

Israelites worshipped the one true living God, creator of everything, Lord of hosts. This knowledge would explode to the world when Christ came on the scene.

reminder that all of you will end up in the cold and dark underworld while I will be sitting in Valhalla after my one-man raid on ISIS

If those gods were real they would have protected their people wouldn't they?

Elijah and the priests of Baal.

>hundreds of pagan sorcerers, soothsayers, witches and enchanters spend an entire day doing rituals and rites, nothing happens

>Elijah laughs and says "Try harder, I don't think your gods are hearing you"

>Pagans have several days to prove their gods are real
>nothing happens

>it's Elijah's turn
>Elijah stands up and stretches his arms into the air
>YHVH God sends fire down from heaven to consume the sacrifice in front of him

>Pagans get embarassed