How exactly did the Maori kill every single moa in New Zealand in 50 years

How exactly did the Maori kill every single moa in New Zealand in 50 years.

From what I understand a couple thousand Maoris with sticks managed to hunt down every single bird on two large islands in the span of 50 years. New Zealand's total area is 264,537 square kilometers.

Gold Rush mentality.

Get richer with feathers and all sorts of obscene crap you can make with an endless supply of giant bird faggots.

Big targets.

I'm not sure, but I bet the Aussies wish they had 3-4 thousand Maoris Early 20th century

Actual NZ history student here
Moa were only in the south island of NZ and many places in the south island are not suitable habitat for them. Due to no mammalian predator in NZ birds grey flightless and generally have few eggs, in many species just one at a time. Because the only predator for moa prior to maori were the Haast Eagle they were not used to being hunted on land and were likely complacent. Many native birds breed less than elsewhere. Every 2-4 years in some cases. They also seemed to overhunt more than they needed allowing surplus food to support huge population boom. Maori also nearly made sealions, some fish and other species extinct around the same time. Overall it was a combination of these things that led to their quick extinction.

wtf i hate Maori now

I know that if they were still around I wouldn't bat an eye, but it's crazy to imagine something like this living not too long ago.

Habitat destruction. Maori burnt dowm huge amounts of forest, iirc New Zealand is the most deforestated country in the world

There were Moa in North Island though....

You are recalling wrong

Very very very wrong

you don't actually have to kill every single individual to wipe out a species

Yeah I'm sure that's not right, but the Maori did burn down a lot of forest. Before humans arrived NZ was essentially 100% covered in forest, by the time of European arrival it was down to around 50%.

Because one; they were fucking massive. Some species of moa got to 3m tall. They would feed most of the tribe

Two. unlike the kiwi, they weren't noctural, so te islandniggers could hunt them down easier.

Three. Dispite the large surface are of Aotearoa, due to mountains, rocky soil, and swamps they couldn't get enough food to suport their massive frames in most areas.

Four. The population was kept in constant check by the Haast's eagle. Which was infinately cooler.

Bro. The pakeha did that to the land. And they're still paying reimbursement money for it to this day

My bad you are correct

Have you seen a fucking maori?
Probably got around to dark time at the kava hut or whatever they got fuckeyed on before booze, they thought the big birds wanted some, did the googly eye thing and went at the cunts

have you ever seen a maori eat? those cunts are ravenous.

>islandnigger
mfw

Lolwut

Well they didn't have to kill every single Moa, just fragment them enough that they couldn't find mating partners.

Only south island?
I was at a place north of Wangarei on the north island where they herd loads of them on a tiny peninsula locked the path to the mainland and basically had a 50+ bird massacre.
While travelling through nz last year we went into every maori museum etc. Never was I more disappointed by the history of native populations... At least they are very likeable people if you get to know them and they have the whole haka thing going for them.

>all that megafauna that went extinct because of humans hunting them

Why do homoniggers ruin everything?

Are emus so aggressive because they know what happened to their moa brothers?

but they told me only westerners extinct animals and my noble savages always lived in peace with nature

Sure thing.

show me a book in school that show non whites making animals extinct

You've done worse at the grocery store

kek

Because they were used to hunting people for food and because they were migrants to the land, not a long term settler. So they couldn't put into practice a sustainable food source because they had no prior knowledge.