Are there any movies set in Byzantine Empire?

Are there any movies set in Byzantine Empire?

I'm a catholic atheist btw.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sNJxlnL7BHg
youtube.com/watch?v=peYuIGzGdc4
youtube.com/watch?v=pWFOPkZL958
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitsentzos_Kornaros
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>I'm a catholic atheist btw.

some russian movies, Viking is the one I can remember now

>I'm a catholic atheist btw

explain

He's a Catholic who is an atheist.

>I'm a man who is a tree

Its like you do not attend church nor do you really believe in god but other than that you life a healthy catholic lifestyle. Like being noisy all the time and have drunken fights. Or having 12 siblings and 80 cousins.

can't you just call yourself Irish then?

>I'm a devout Catholic except when it's hard, annoying, or inconvenient

How do you manage to be a tree and a man at the same time? Trees don't have brains.

Exactly, thats the spirit! This is what makes being catholic so great!

Neither do atheists.

Like when you have to kiss feet and shit?

t. someone who hasn't read Dante

Their arms and legs wouldn't work if that was the case.

So a cultural catholic, but don't actually believe any of it. I get it.

I'm not into Hip Hop.

I don't know about movies but there are comic books partially set in Constantinople, check out Northlanders.

>I'm a catholic atheist
Francis get off of Veeky Forums you silly old man.

You're raised a catholic and go atheist, but you've still got your catholic upbringing exerting influence. Y'know, apart from religious beliefs but you still act like a catholic.

Agora. Arguably.

>I'm a catholic atheist btw.
You don't have to say that you are one, attention whore.

There's no need to be rude on the internet, we're not on plebbit where you are going to get le ebic upboats for your post.

Catholic Bro i feel u.
I myself was baptized a Catholic and my brother and sis as Orthodox. There are minor cult differences between us but all three of us are Atheists.

The Conquest 1453

OP here.
A lot of people explained that for me, but those were the closest:
I was born a human and raised as a catholic. At about 7 I stopped believing in santa and that sort and got back to being human again. I slill am connected to catholic culture tho. When I'm angry, I say "Mother Mary, what a moron" in my native language and I give presents in december. So ye, I've picked some parts of my legacy or burden (however you perceive it). Not because they are convenient, but because they fit my humanist point of view.

Don't you think it's strange Holywood makes no Byzantium movies? It's such an unexplored subject.

Doesn't sound very byzantine. Is it any good?

Egypt? Well... I'll check it out.

There would be only two comments in this thread without this.

youtube.com/watch?v=sNJxlnL7BHg

Scenes from a 70's greek series

Oh lord. I've looked at the trailer.
>We wuz kangs
>Our agressions were rightful
>Let's make a movie about it using the worst Holywood techniques.

Another one.
It's called Purple and blood.
youtube.com/watch?v=peYuIGzGdc4

Watched it, don't bother. It's Kevin Sorbo VS the Byzantine empire of Darkness in "Hercules, Ottoman Hero-The movie".

>Don't you think it's strange Holywood makes no Byzantium movies? It's such an unexplored subject.
It's simple - nobody cares about Byzantium. Outside of Turkey and the Balkans most people don't even know such a thing existed. Hollywood is in the business of making money, not wet fantasies of history nerds.

Thanks man. Those are from your childhood?
Can't understand shit, unfortunately.

Ok.

naaah...i was looking once for a series for Byzantium. Unfortunatelly both series do not exist anymore due to some accident or fuckup with the tapes...
Man, Byzantine history is large and deep.
Most stories would be cool as fuck!

>catholic atheist

put subs man...

Bulgaria made some movies about its history, some of them revolving around the Byzantines, obviously. Most are shit tho.

One of them was 5+ hours epic about the establishment of Danube Bulgaria. It's about a Byzantine ambassador's son who is given to the Bulgarian khan and spend years there and later takes part in the war against the Byzantines.

There is an English version of it, but it's only hour and a half.
youtube.com/watch?v=pWFOPkZL958

>catholic athiest

I've never considered myself as a history nerd. There was a boom for Rome. Maybe the boom for Byzantium is just one movie away? A good script and some brave capitalists. Same with all of ancient Mesopotamia. Or is there a conflict of interest with jewish Holywood?

>Tries that. Subs automatically generated in french. WTF?

There's no conspiracy. Most of the movies about Rome revolve around Caesar, Cleopatra or Spartacus. Nobody will invest hundreds of millions to make a movie about a subject the masses know nothing about.

Thanks, this one seems interesing.

> about the establishment of Danube Bulgaria
Is there something about the bronze age Danube culture?

>Is there something about the bronze age Danube culture?
Nope.

"Either I take Istanbul, or Istanbul takes me!"

That looks like 300 tier shit

>Nobody will invest hundreds of millions to make a movie about a subject the masses know nothing about.
I disagree, but I agree it's less and less frequent.
Let's see...
Apocalypto
Gangs of New York
The 13th warrior
To name a few with less popular setting at the time.

300 is kino compared to that shitflick

See
If you wanna see a cheesy drama about how fate led the Ottomans to victory, complete with slow mo melee on the wall between soldiers and muscled underwear models with long hair and sleeveless leather jackets then it's the flick for you.

>Apocalypto
Didn't mel fund this one himself? He's always willing to do weird projects, but I'm looking forward to the Norse film he is working on.
>300
Based upon a popular comic book, and perfectly timed after 9/11 for that anti dunecoon propaganda. Not to mention the memes
>Gangs of New York
Immigrants are always good money, look at Godfather 2. Plus it's Scorsese doing a historical piece, what could go wrong.
>The 13th warrior
Based upon a novel by a guy who's novel adaptations were making hundreds of millions of dollars in the 90's, but this one bombed at the box office.

> Norse film he is working on.
That sounds promising. Name? Trailer?

>Based upon
I'm sure there are good books about Byzantium to follow this line.

Maybe it's because Turkey is a member of NATO?

Make a Romeo & Juliet-like movie about a Venetian patrician who falls in love with a Byzantine princess around the time of the Fourth Crusade.

The norse film has been in the works for several years now, but was put on hold after Mel was put into exile by Hollywood for his anti-jew comments. However, the success of Hacksaw Ridge has recently made him say that he was still working on it. Heres from a recent Q&A:

>DEADLINE: What about that Viking epic?

>GIBSON: That’s still lying around. Randall Wallace and I wrote that one. It’ll probably surface one of these days.

I think the only way Byzantium would get a proper screen treatment in the west is to do a TV series a la Rome or The Last Kingdom about the Crusades (but I imagine execs wouldn't want to touch that with a 15 foot stick in this current climate)

catholics cant marry jews

Tell that to Henry Hill. One of my good pals is also half wop and half jew.

Kek

>Venetian patrician who falls in love with a Byzantine princess
>Somehow the Jews are involved

Greek from before.
There actually is an enormous Byzantine poem written about a similar subject.
Google VITZENZOS KORNAROS - EROTOKRITOS.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitsentzos_Kornaros

Here u go.

Delete this post. I don't want people watching that, then lowering the quality of discussion on this board.

This was made in Turkey btw, id recommend staying away

What about comic books?

I would say Basil II and Nikephoros Phokas lives earn them a comic