Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_spelling_and_pronunciation#Letters_and_phonemes
youtu.be/gLZA32oHbC4
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I always read it as "chel-tick"

I always read it as "sell-tick"

>people that deny that language changes over time

Keltic refers to the nu-celts at ireland and scotland and wales, while real celts that are all dead are reffered as "Celtic" de facto.

>not pronouncing "Celtic" as "Cucks"

Sjelticc

is this true?

What the fuck am I reading.

There is no other way of pronouncing it. The Celts themselves didn't use soft Cs.

>autism

"Tseltik"

>tfw Celtic heritage
explains much desu

That's only valid for the Boston Celtics.

Boston is Seltiks, not Tseltiks

"Of all the nations that have hitherto lived on the face of the earth, the English have the worst mode of pronouncing learned languages. This is admitted by the whole human race [...] This poor meagre sordid language resembles nothing so much as the hissing of serpents or geese. [...] The distinction which English writers are too stupid to notice, but which the Irish Grammarians are perpetually talking of, the distinction between broad and narrow vowels—governs the English language. [...] If we follow the unwritten law of the English we shall pronounce (Celt) Selt but Cæsar would pronounce it, Kaylt. Thus the reader may take which pronunciation he pleases. He may follow the rule of the Latin or the rule of the English language, and in either case be right."

No.

Wait that's how your supposed to pronounce it "keltic".

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_spelling_and_pronunciation#Letters_and_phonemes
No, it's just that an english pronunciation of the latin C is plain wrong. That'S most likely also were the German "Kaiser" for Caesar comes from.

They didn't call themselves Celts either

That's the football team.

Micks on suicide watch

>people who pronounce "Caesar" as "Seeser"

>Roman accounts

>Ireland peacefully assimilated into British Rule

>king Arthur is a historically accurate story

Is this bait?

Cant tell if this is a troll or not

This seems relevant.

This is really shitty stormfront race bait.
>1-3
All false, look at Tacticus and Caesar's Gallic Wars
>4
Unfortunate but true
>5
Also Invaded England and Wales before they finally put the Irish to bed once and for with the Act of Union
>6
Folklore has complex relationships, shocking truth! Typical attempt to dumb down culture
>7
This is some witch cult bullshit. The same logic is used by people who grasp at straws in European folklore and customs and claim that Western Europe was predominantly pagan until the 1500s.

KELTIC GUARDIAN, ATTACK!

Well the peoples that propagated the word within the English speaking world pronounced it as "KELT". But when describing them, we say "SELL TICK".

don't like it?

then get out :D

That's where I learned to pronounce it too.

Czech language: Keltové, Keltské výrobky, Keltské symboly, Keltská jména, Keltský horoskop.
Piss off.
The letters aren't supposed to be capital (aside from the first one), they are so to enhance the spelling (which is exactly how it's written).

It's not that hard.
Pronunciation is with hard C/K in Greek, Germanic, Slavic, classical Latin, possibly more. Arguably this is the original form, and Latin experienced a sound shift to soft C, adopted also into French, where English borrowed the word from. Modern pronunciation with hard C was then adopted because it doesn't sound so fucking lispy and gay.

Does is really matter how you say niggah?

It's how Yugioh pronounced it, so why the fuck not?

>people who pronounce "Celtic" as "Keltic"

I don't know about in the other Celtic languages, but in Gaidhlig the word 'Celt' and its derivatives are pronounced either with a hard C (similar to Keltic in English) or with a Ch (same sound as the ch in 'loch', or 'reich') depending on the word (pluralisation in Gaidhlig turns C into Ch, so Ceiltach [Celt] becomes Cheiltich [Celts]), never with an S sound.

t. Celt

>people that believe celts where a thing and not just a meme name for several tribes with no conection to eachother except making some weird circles in their art

That was more delightful than I could have expected.

That's quite a weak bait.

Well when you put it THAT way...

Explain Tsar then.
checkmate you frankish fucks

>not GUY UTH, YOU LEE UTH, THEE THA

It came from Old Church Slavonic cěsarĭ, from Gothic kaisar

OCS monophthongized /ai/ and palatalized /k/ before /e/

Without a doubt yes
youtu.be/gLZA32oHbC4

Yes

>crying about muh stormfront as though it's more important than 10 thousand weirdos
Hi there readdit

Wouldn't it be pronounced Keltic? The soft C would be an Anglicization like what happened to Caesar.

You mean a francisation.

Unsure desu. Phonology is not my forte. All I really know is that Latin used a hard C which would make it Keltik over Seltik. I had assumed other Romance languages would evolve the same way, but the only Romance language I dabble in is Spanish y mi Espanol es mal.

Old English words have hard Cs, the soft C came from French, as did the pronunciation rules on Cs (or rather historically, the spelling rules on whether to use a C or an S or a K).

TIL. The thing that bothers me most about modern english is the lack of Germanic accent marks.

Are Celts white?

Celts are black. Any other statement is white devil revision.