Medieval Helmet Styles

What is you favorite medieval helmet style? Pic related, is late 16th century Italian Armet.

Other urls found in this thread:

metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/27160
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Sallet

'nuff said

>extra weight
>no visor means its suffocating
>flat top to ensure a solid hit to the top of your head knocks you out

I see you enjoy meme helms too

yes yes, but you will never look this fearsome

Need i say more?

did they use flat tops because they were meant for cavalry?

KETTLE HAT COMING THROUGH!
YOU BITCHES WISH YOU WERE THIS UNRESTRICTIVE AND PRACTICAL

WRONG IMAGE I FUCKING HATE MOBILE PHONES

wtf is this basic as shit senpai, go bevor or go home

Are you sure that's an armet? It looks more like a close helmet to me - more precisely a Mantelhelm type, due to the integrated gorget, which was more common for close helmets than armets due to their lateral opening mechanism.

Here we have a comparable helmet in an earlier (Maximilian / fluted) design, with a distinct bellows visor.

This is how it is opened.

>late 16th century
>medieval

But if one includes the early modern era, than smug Savoyard helmets are the best.

For comparison, here a similar helmet (also Maximilian / fluted style), but an armet rather than a close helmet due to the lateral opening mechanism.

not even blued? step it up

Kek helmet best helmet

>I want a helm that will capture what Sir Lollington is really all about
>Armorer: Say no more

Armet/Close Helm is a modern distinction apparently. They just called them armets, like how any vaguely bowl shaped helmet was a sallet

>Armet/Close Helm is a modern distinction apparently.
It is, but you might as well argue the same for all kinds of modern typologies.

However, it is a distinction which makes sense as it allows us to easily classify a wide-range of helmet types.

They constantly experimented with new designs. They quickly realised that a flat top was retarded and the next model rounded out the top. Basically the problem was the flat top allowed people to just swing overheard and break the users neck. The top is usually round because it helps deflect the over head swing from hitting properly.

Fairly certain this is an armet, matches others that I've seen before. Also it's labeled as an armet at the MET so there's that.

I've looked up the page it is tied to but to me it seems like they misclassified it.

The opening mechanism seems clearly hinged at the visor which would indicate that we're dealing with a close helmet rather than an armet, which is opened laterally.

While rightfully said that this is a modern typology, it would still seem odd, since they otherwise made the distinction between armets and close helmets in their collection.

metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/27160

Ah my mistake, although the style still appeals to me desu