Saint Christopher: the Christian Atlas

Saint Christopher: the Christian Atlas

>After Christopher had performed this service for some time, a little child asked him to take him across the river. During the crossing, the river became swollen and the child seemed as heavy as lead, so much that Christopher could scarcely carry him and found himself in great difficulty. When he finally reached the other side, he said to the child: "You have put me in the greatest danger. I do not think the whole world could have been as heavy on my shoulders as you were." The child replied: "You had on your shoulders not only the whole world but Him who made it. I am Christ your king, whom you are serving by this work." The child then vanished.

Why is medieval Christianity so much more interesting and archetypal than modern "dude just be chill lmao" Christianity?

Other urls found in this thread:

ancient-origins.net/artifacts-other-artifacts/legendary-sword-stone-san-galgano-002968
youtube.com/watch?v=FnB0_2PJWRY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because protestantism is trash, my dude.

I would think it is because faith was stronger for them. We often think of it as an after thought, and it is not taken to seriously.
I always hoped that Christians would take it more seriously because it IS a serious subject. I would think if one was to become a Christian they would do so by making serious changes in their lives that are meaningful and powerful. In my anecdotal experience they don't, it is treated as no more than a label so they can virtue signal.
If I were to join a church it would be a life changing event that would change a lot in my life currently.
t agnostic

(((Luther, Calvin))) and (((secular humanism)))

Christians are just slaves for the jew. It's a foul pacifistic neutered religion.

the Christian religion is always opposed to Judaism while pagans sold other pagans to Jews on a regular basis before Christianity came along

You idiot fool. Like the other user said, pagan Varangians and Rus were selling blonde Slavic women as sex slaves to the Jewish empire of Khazaria (which in their turn would sell them to Muslims and everyone else) before they converted to Christianity. After they converted they not only stopped selling whites as slaves, they leveled the khazarian empire to the ground. Learn some history before spouting nonsense.

Anymore stories like this ? It reminds me greek mythology

There was a bishop in Italy in the fourth century who had a church built in honor of a martyr.
There was one problem though, the vista from the church wasn't quite good as a building obstructed the view. He asked those people to remove their house and go away, but they refuted. Fortunately for the bishop, the martyr came back to life and burned down that building.

People back then unironically took this shit seriously.

*refused

ancient-origins.net/artifacts-other-artifacts/legendary-sword-stone-san-galgano-002968

The Legendary Sword in the Stone of San Galgano is very interesting. Here is a good summery.

Thanks

Saint cecilia

If you read myracles reported back in the late roman empire you get the impression that people lived in a high fantasy world.
Dragons (a farting dragon in one occasion), saints paralyzing groups of unbelievers, the magic staff of a bishop stopping blight in a field, literally D&D tier stuff.

In fact it's quite amazing how they went from stuff like that to "a guy who was taking medicine for a tumor suddenly got better".

>literally D&D tier stuff.
You realize that D&D and the fantasy genre is an imitation of these types of things, right? These types of things aren't imitations of the fantasy genre. You'd be more accurate to say that D&D is late Roman Empire tier stuff.

Yeah, sure, what I'm trying to say is that if you talk to a contemporary christian philosopher he's going to give you a worldview where there's basically a supreme being or being itself, quite detached from the world aside from a few historical events, miracles are rare, sparse and ambiguous.
Then you read up what people actually believed back then and you basically get ROLL A 20 FOR RAIN DUDE. And not only this shit was reportedly common, people actually converted due to it! Well, that and heavy punishment for practicing paganism, but still...

Lol. Based.

You're right. Modern mainstream Christianity is very much caught up in deism and humanism which has been prevalent in the West for so long. This is only natural. Traditional Catholics and Orthodox still believe in the miracles as do other sects of more traditional Christians. T

But even traditional catholics admit only a few peculiar miracles, there's nothing even remotely close to the kind of miracles that were apparently widespread several centuries ago. Nobody actually believes people are raised from the dead nowadays. Nobody even reports such things. But saints apparently were doing that quite often back then.
It looks like quite a coincidental downgrading of supernatural events.

Alright so you believe a martyr came back from the dead to burn down the house of an innocent family because it was obstructing the view from the church? Sounds demonic to me.

>But even traditional catholics admit only a few peculiar miracles
idk where you get this information from. Even modern Catholics do still believe in miracles that the church declared were true. You have modern miracles as well. Look at Fatima or Akita. look at all of statues of the Virgin Mary crying. Catholics still believe them.

>innocent
>obstructing the view from the church

pick one buddy

>this "blue pill" obsession
Embarrassing desu
Literally /pol/ tier delusion

There's a French-Canadian song with a similar story to St. Christopher

youtube.com/watch?v=FnB0_2PJWRY

A farmer sees an orphan child by himself travelling on the road, so he invites him into his house for dinner and a warm place to stay. The child accepts and at the man's table says that God will bless him. The man that night says to his children that he will adopt the child to replace his own son François, but in the morning when they go to the bed there is a note saying "Thank you, your friend Jesus"

Maybe I didn't express myself well enough, I was referring to similar events in the contemporary world.
Miracles of that sort don't seem to happen anymore. Miracles that reportedly happen are, far tamer than that, much more ambiguous and so on.