Italian Unification

Maybe Italianons can help here. What did Italy construct its national identity around? It couldn't have been language; many regions spoke mutually unintelligible dialects or even used outright different language groups. It couldn't have been genetics; Italians north of Tuscany and those from Rome downwards have noticeable physical differences on average, more so than, say, Germans and Poles. It couldn't have been a legal precedent; what is now called Italy had not been a fully unified country since the empire of the Romans. From an outsider's view it looks like they just clumped a bunch of different states and ethnicities together and called them one.

So what united them? And under a Sardinian dynasty no less?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbëreshë_people
twitter.com/AnonBabble

the elites fell for the nationalism meme

>It couldn't have been language; many regions spoke mutually unintelligible dialects or even used outright different language groups.
True, but do notice that italian as a common language spoken by the intellectual elite was a thing since the 13th century. And by the 17th century you had most intellectuals believing it should actually be the national language.
>It couldn't have been a legal precedent; what is now called Italy had not been a fully unified country since the empire of the Romans.
Wrong (de jure anyway). The concept of Italy as its own isolated area is as old as the social war, the concept of kingdom of Italy is as old as the fall of the WRE, and the jure the kingdom existed more or less whole for centuries until the franks took over. And even then, the concept of kingdom of Italy remained (even if the actual land controlled by the king progressively shrunk into nothing) right until Boney dissolved the HRE.
>From an outsider's view it looks like they just clumped a bunch of different states and ethnicities together and called them one.
You'd find a great deal of people thinking the same thing back then too. I do believe most people wanted a federation back then, but of course the Savoia monarchy was a very centralized and authoritarian state, so that was never gonna happen with them unifying the country (almost entirely by force of arms, mind you. It's not like it came together on its own).

It's probably better they didn't get their federalized state then as the Italian peninsula might very well look like the Balkan peninsula if they did. This being said, Italy as at a time and place where it could federalize like Germany no problem.

>And under a Sardinian dynasty no less?
They were actually a piedmontese dinasty. They only went by the title of "king of Sardinia" because they'd otherwise be only dukes.

>It's probably better they didn't get their federalized state then as the Italian peninsula might very well look like the Balkan peninsula if they did.
What makes you think this?

Pic related.

Corsica, Sardinia and Sicily were just a bonus. They're not Italian.

>What makes you think this?
The tendency for European states to get smaller and smaller since the end of WW1.

in a world of empires and imperialism, for sicily and sardinia to exist would be borderline impossible if italy was unified in what you showed

The right way to divide Italy.

The division already exists in a sense. It just hasn't been made official.

>Holy Hear
Is there something more to it than just a joke on see/hear?

the correct way to divide italy looks solid in color because you can't model the division in such a way that is visible to the human eye

wut?

>eye
You could go by ear tho. Set the border where the roman accent gives way to the neapolitan.
Jokes aside, there's a pretty clear division of the country in a very great many categories right where the border of the Kingdom of Naples used to be. It's no coincidence.

I have to admit the Abruzzese are less subhuman than the rest of terroni and some people include them in Central Italy though.

Terrone = anything south of Rome. Southern Lazio is trash and so is Abruzzo.

Why is Bologna so freaking rich?

Every single Italian sports car brand except Alfa Romeo is from there as the map indicates.

Actually that wrong: Pagani, Ferrari and Maserati are from Modena. Only Lamborghini is from Bologna.

Yeah, sorry, but it's not just Bologna that's rich, Emilia-Romagna in general is. I would like them more if they weren't gommies though.

It's full of tags and there is piss everywhere on the street.

Yeah, Bologna is going to turn into a Paris tier shithole pretty soon if we don't do anything about it. Graffiti was always there because of the gommunists and anarchist faggots, but the mudslims and niggers are making it 10x worse.

>It's full of tags
To be fair this is pretty much everywhere in Italy.

In the gommie/anarchist infested regions there is way more.

It's not a political divide. It's a university population matter. Cities like Bologna and Padova both have shitloads of tags in spite of being fairly distant on the political spectrum.

What did they unite at first?

My grandparents are from Sicily and 90% of Italians I met have been nice people and accepted me as an Italian-American, except one faggot from Bologna who just laughed and called me an African. I know that shitty island is poor, violent, and crime infested and but I'm not African ;_:

I don't think Padova has anywhere near as much graffiti as Bologna. It also tends to be of an actual artistic quality, while most of Bologna's graffiti is just vandalism.

Why*

>I don't think Padova has anywhere near as much graffiti as Bologna.
You'd have a hard time seeing the colour of the walls between the station to right about Guizza. and from Stanga to Prato della Valle. That's pretty much half the city proper, and coincidentially where 95% of the students live or hang out.
I don't know about the artistic quality part. Sure, there's a lot of nice stuff, but really it's mostly political slogans and factional shiflinging between centri sociali and the fascist wannabes.

They wanted to form a country strong enough to be a relevant player in Europe, which kinda worked. They pretty much were a regional power from day one.
Mind you, that was still kinda irrelevant when you have 4 (four) superpowers in the same subcontinent.

In Bologna it's the entire fucking city, not just half of it. And it's always some poor taste scribbles. The shitskins are even starting to copy the gommies and ruin historical monuments with it.

I know the girl who tag owls in Bologna. Its the only tag except for the vandalism.

Rome has always been more southern Italian than northern, both in terms of genetics and language.

Who are "they"?
Also if it wasn't a peninsular would it still the same?

Dude, shut up. You don't know shit about Italian/Roman history. Southern Italy was inhabited by Greeks and Analbanians back then. They don't have anything to do with the Latin tribe of Latium.

>tfw France will never annex Aosta and the French speaking parts of Piedmont
>tfw Austria will never get South Tyrol back
>tfw Slovenia will always be utterly cucked out of it's coast

Italia Irredenta my ass. They're the ones owning land that doesn't belong to them.

Arpitans aren't French you piece of shit. Their language is closer to the Gallo-Italic of northern Italy than to French besides the faggy accent (that is probably not native).

Italanon here.
It was a huge issue to essentially make up an Identity. D'Azeglio's quote "having created Italy, we need to create Italians" is a well known issue and mantra.
Italy as an idea had been prevalent in Italian elites in small states, or among those unhappy under the Pope's/foreign Yoke. Dante (canto vi, Purgatory), Machiavelli, Foscolo and other known literates always had the dream in mind. A "common language" for the elite was built in time (read Dante's "de vulgari eloquentia" about the Italian language and its role).

As common moments of unification, the Lombard League, the Roman Empire, and later the wars of independence themselves became symbols of a common struggle and destiny.

Propaganda and then fascism destroyed local languages. It became shameful to use them in public.

Early works of propaganda include "I promessi sposi", "Cuore" and "Pinocchio".

Italy was frankly a masterpiece of social and ethnic engineering. "Terrone" as a word was banned everywhere and Italian internal racism was silenced over the years, although it's still there in places.

My grandparents (from far away regions) all tell me there was no resistance whatsoever when people went to register their family name and it was forcefully "Italianised" by the public officers.

Also of note, policemen were sent to serve AS FAR AS POSSIBLE from their birthplace so they'd be ruthless if need be. The army and WWI / WWII cemented the common language and a sense of unity.

>muh rome was north italy cuz aryan lol

I bet you don't know that the capitals of the late WRE (Milan and Ravenna) were both in Northern Italy and that there were way more important Roman figures born in the North than in Terronia.

1. yes i did know
2. it changed because rome was poor and garbage, plus a more centralized capital would have made it easier to manage northern territories or so i believe
3. explain what the capital has to do with important figures being born, canada's capital is in ottawa and no one from there is important

Well, just try to find any important Roman figures born in the territories correspondent to the Kingdom of Naples and Sicily. You will not have much success.

more people in north italy means more important people

It is well known that Southern Italy and Sicily were Greek colonies later conquered by the Romans dipshit, its not a meme. People constantly falling back on MUHHH and memes is pathetic.

that is true, but the romans were more related to the greeks than the northern barbarians.

What is this Southern Italians are Albanians/Illyrians meme? There was a tribe of Illyrians that settled on the heel, but I don't think it forever colored the entirety of the south Albanian

The Latins owe everything to the Etruscans. Look where they were. The Veneti and Ligurian tribes of the North were also Italic speaking people like the Latins.

Etruscans >>>>>

>Italians "we wuzing" everywhere

Wow it really is a miniature Balkan peninsula.

The difference being we "made it". We always spit bile and complain, but taking arms was always too much of an effort.

We are a failed version of France to be honest. Italian city-states were superior to this shit.

Doesn't Southern Italy have the excuse that it's been taken over 10s of times while Northern Italy has had plenty of peace times to develop and prosper?

>genes
meaningless from a cultural standpoint. South Italy has some irrelevant pockets of Albanians from a long time ago. That's it. The connection stops there.

>The connection stops there

Hahahaha: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbëreshë_people

A majority of France, and Slovenia and Austria along with the WRE owned lands are rightful Italian clay.

This only confirms
>South Italy has some irrelevant pockets of Albanians from a long time ago.
400,000 Arbershe Albanians live in South Italy. That's not a large number. They seem to have largely kept to themselves culturally speaking.

The vaticanis sometimes called the Holy See

They were attracted to one of their ancient homelands. They heard the Messapians calling for them.

>>tfw Slovenia will always be utterly cucked out of it's coast

That area belonged to Venice for like 800 years. Their lucky to have what coastal access they do

>Greater Albanian empire

>thank you Sir

>It couldn't have been language
Even though plebs began speaking it only after the introduction of the television, the Italian language that we speak today is a scholarly project that goes all the way back to Dante Alighieri's De Vulgari Eloquentia.

>mutually unintelligible dialects or even used outright different language groups
One thing is to say Italians didn't speak one language, another is making it sound like we needed an army of translators as big as the European Parliament's just to talk to one another, or that German speakers in the far north cannot learn a second language. Think Switzerland.

>It couldn't have been genetics
Since the Romans - no, since before them, in fact - we've been fucking the people we wanted, without taking orders on the subject from tiny-moustached dictators. Speaking of dictators, did you know Mussolini had a Jewish mistress, Margherita Sarfatti?

I advise user against restricting his already limited reproductive and romantic potential any further.

>It couldn't have been a legal precedent
If you mention law, I should remind you that Roman law is the foundation for all Western Law, be it Civil or Common, not just Italy's.

>what is now called Italy
Let the etimologists have their immense controversy over which people gave Italy its name, during millennia of endless human settlement, peopling and migration, people moved, but the peninsula and its sorrounding islands do not.

>From an outsider's view it looks like they just clumped a bunch of different states and ethnicities together and called them one
It's called geography, and it's the same with all nation states. "We have made Italy. Now we must make Italians." And all nation states have their respective ideology, education system, language, scholars, religions, anthem and everything else to make sure a similar "making" of the nation, ever the work in progress, happens.

>So what united them?
Same way Italy ended up as a republic: a combination of warring and voting.

This map is pure bullshit

Abruzzo is north of Rome, though