What went wrong?

What went wrong?

They didn't succeed in their goal of unifying Ireland into one republic.

Why not?

Because they couldn't convince Protestant Anglos up north to join them when Great Britain desired a continued union.

Entrenched rival ethnicity in the North coupled with an entire Empire sending soldiers, propagandists and administrators to poison the well.

The British have been fucking over the Irish for 700 years

But they got everything they wanted.

explain pls? ireland is still divided no?

All of Ireland now has self determination and equal status for Catholics.

The IRA was always willing to settle for that, with the Anglo-Irish Treaty, with the Sunningdale treaty, and with the Good Friday Agreement.

not for long. the IRA are the masters of waiting. now that Brexit is upon us, Irish unification isn't far off.

Because bombing cities doesn't win people over to your side

White people are shit at terrorism. Should stick to pop music, math and getting sunburn.

You are deluded, you do realize they are still fighting each other and the hatred is still there, it's just not reported in the news

They didn't kill enough brits and orangemen.

Nothing, they won. The Good Friday Agreement was nothing more than a surrender to the IRA that makes a unified Ireland an inevitability. Thanks Blair.

The north will be catholic in a matter of years

RIRA will complete the mission brothers

Infiltrated all the time by British secret service.

They literally killed more of their own than the British did because of paranoia and backstabbing.

Turns out blowing up kids is not good for PR and even their supporters said they went too far.

cromwell were far to soft on them, that's what that went wrong

Because it turns out if you bomb people they get pissed and turn against you. The Provisional IRA has harmed Irish unification far more than the British and Irish governments ever did.

You know a bunch of Poles did far better terror attacks during WW2 than ISIS could ever hope for?

They managed to murder 100 people with one bomb in Riga

it's easier to support euskadi ta askatasuna than these englishman that dress like grass.

They were too damned impermeable I suppose, they simply couldn't let it happen, in part I guess fault therein does lay on our shoulders, not enough measures were taken to bring them into the fold, they were marginalized, a great shame.

Popery

Go to hell papist

They started turning public opinion against them when they started sniping random cops with no interest in the conflict.

If we're talking historically then the IRA got remarkably far fucking with a super power only like an hour from their capital.

Dumb LARPers fucking around with airsoft

They surrendered because no one can fight Britain and win.

They insisted on continuing to fight 90 years after Ireland achieved independence.

really boneheaded on their part

If 1/4 of their country was occupied. I don't blame them for fighting.

to be fair, 1/4th of their country didn't even have a significant enough amount of them in it to be considered occupied

That 1/4th is an economic waste dump and a security basketcase.

Why do you think the Republic of Ireland's actual government is so disinterested in annexing the North?

>Japan 1946
>Germany 1946

there was legitimate war between us, and also, military targets were abounding in their cities, however, the same can't be said for the targets of terrorist organisations, this hasn't changed

Because they'd get cucked and occupied by the nuclear power 30 minutes away?

>no foreign military forces literally occupying and shooting civilians in northern ireland

well that's a matter of perspective, as far as the people of that region are surely concerned those are not anything but members of their own army

>ulster freedom fighters
weren't they basically a fucking death squad lol? the ira at least tried to target security forces, the unionist paramilitaries deliberately targeted catholic civilians in most of their attacks

security forces only eh?

didn't they murder a woman just because they thought she was an informer?

those are not pretty people either!

Ain't that the truth.

the IRA were also drug dealers and got chummy as fuck with islamic terrorists

Drogheda: the model of anglo-irish relations

I don't understand the image

The IRA attacked several Protestant churches in the middle of church

this

Definitely this. IRA were completely willing to be ridiculous terrorist scumbags, and made very little effort of making any sort of positive public image with any one other than radical Catholics.

WE

Does it make you upset that protestantism is slowly dying out while Catholicism is either surviving or thriving in pretty much every country? Christians will be united again one day, and Luther's heresies will be nothing but a footnote in history and a warning to future generations. May the Lord bless us and keep us all.

Never saw an Orange man who didn't deserve some kind of bearing

>1946

Get the fuck out of Veeky Forums

Right now

All the paramilitaries in Northern Ireland were deathsquads. It's just that some of them have been romanticised thanks to a large diaspora.

"in the middle of the service" is a more intelligent way of phrasing that, don't you think?

And what was Ireland before the IRA came along?

What about the numerous peaceful protests that Catholics which were met with Violence From the Brits? They had to defend themselves.

The IRA was so infiltrated by British intelligence that 8 out of 10 IRA operations were compromised and cancelled by 1995,the loyalists had got their act together, and were a real threat to the lives of IRA activists. The IRA were losing, so they called a ceasefire.

You're a fucking travesty to all I have ever shitposted.

Begone from our board and hence forth never return.

Republican here with former provo family members here. Of course there is no simple explanation of what happened, if you are looking for an internal reasoning for the move towards electoral politics see Tommy McKearney's "Provisional IRA: From Insurrection to Government".

The heart of it is the Provo leadership knew from the late 70's that after the loss of momentum in 74 it would not be possible to win militarily but it could be possible to sue for a settlement (incidentally the British establishment was also aware although they could suppress IRA violence they could not eliminate it and a poltical settlement was also the most preferable action). After Bobby Sands election it was only a matter of time before Adam's faction completely took over and the transition towards primarily political means was complete. It has left a lot of the core republican support disillusioned today after 20 years of Stormont governance, SF isn't very well thought nowadays by its former loyal followers even when it has wider general acceptance. Where I am, the SF Easter commerations used to have thousands in attendance pre-05 who would travel far and wide, now they can barely muster a hundred for their party event. The independent events which attracts dissidents and GFA supporters alike attract far more (it is this reason SF tries desperately to appease its old guard by setting up faux events like "Volunteers Day"). I myself was formerly involved very briefly in SF party activities before I became disillusioned with it all, I support the GFA and would like to see the institutions work but have little faith and value in the players and system, that is a common feeling among former SF members.

Northern Ireland didn't want to deal them.

Good music though.