When did you realize he was actually the bad guy?

When did you realize he was actually the bad guy?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susa_weddings
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

t. John "Just Cuck My Shit Up" Green

when I got spooked

eumenes is dat dude

I don't know about bad guy, but I was a bit surprised to learn about how much of a crybaby twink he was. He was also a real dick to his mates

He's white and therefore evil

t. John Green

read about the sacks of tyre and persepolis

>He was also a real dick to his mates
I'll say.

>He killed one of his best generals, Cleitus the Black who had saved his life at Gaugamela, over a drunken argument as to why Alexander had taken on ‘Asian ways’ and continually pushed East.

What a massive fucking faggot.

Don't forget how he straight up murdered Philotas because he *might* have been plotting against him. And the he had his father Parmenio killed to tie up loose ends, a man well into his 60s who had spent his entire life faithfully serving the crown.

When he lied to the Canadian people about legalizing weed

He was history's first weeaboo

Who is that?

>why isn't a conqueror who could be betrayed and killed at any time friendly and nice?

alexander the great

>Sparta would rather fight in favor of Persia over him
that moment

This
Fuckboys here today like to be judgemental about how cruel rulers were when their actions were guided by the environment and circumstances at the time. As a ruler with power, you were never secure on your throne.

Anybody who makes Alexander or other emperors like him out to be unnecessarily cruel are trying to project their coddled standards of decency into an Era that was wilder than anything they've known in their entire life. Such as John Green.

Stop LARPing.

"No"

I'm kind of mad that the Dragon Cunt in GoT is CLEARLY modeled after him but obviously they made her a fucking woman and utterly inept at that.

Sparta sided with Persia against Athens in the Peloponnesian war.

he wasnt a very good leader, he was just a good military mind

>tfw this is nowhere close to what he actually looked like

He had a much manlier looking face. Dunno why the sculptors made him look like a pretty boy in the other ones.

Yet people followed him for a very long time and only complained at the very end. Also, name one, if any, man who got most of his military through the Gedrosian Desert.

>empire dissolves immediately upon his death

He was by far the greatest man in history and rhe original great conqueror. Caesar, Muhammad, Charlemagne, Genghis Khan, Napoleon, Hitler, all of them were just a pale imitation of Alexander.

Cyrus had already done what he did by forming the first great empire of history

>He was busy conquering and not consolidating because he died a sudden death

Basically a more reckless and inept version of Justinian

I agree with this so much!
A leader should be balanced!
Top tier general, unbalanced as a leader..

spartans are a bunch of cry babies who always whine to persia when they dont get to be "muh protectors of greece!"

t.iranian shitskin

>tfw alexander was so enamored with iranian culture he wanted to become a "new persian"

Dunno why the sculptors made him look like a pretty boy in the other ones.
Deification and/or the general idealization of him, same as they did with Caesar, with Alexander, he's supposed to look like Helios.

Wouldn't Cyrus be arguable better because he was also able to consolidate his power and not have his empire shit itself once he died?

Cyrus is undeniably the better of the two

Did somebody say Cyrus?

>now this is podracing

Everything Cyrus achieved, Alexander did better, and faster.

including the collapse of his domain lol

Your hero was a shitskin loving marring adoring cuck

He was one of histories' first shitposters, doing and saying what he wants, with a certain kind of elegance and grace in all of it, sometimes breaking into fits of anger.

Alexander despised the persians, yet recognized that their administrative and legislative systems were better organized, and thus used them, he didn't view the world in black and white terms.

Persians eternally BTFO

He wanted to make himself a "new Persian" and married Persian women because he was infatuated with them

Exactly, he Alexander'd them.

He literally wanted to fuse Greeks and Persians together to create a new race. He was the original Merkel.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susa_weddings

he reportedly treated the persian soldiers in his units better than the native macedonians and tried to get his countrymen to adopt persian customs. in egypt he also proclaimed himself the son of amun

Alexander got ORIENTAL'D

underrated post

'greed

Have you met many Iranian women? Hairy, but THICC and incredibly sexy.

He was the hero of the Macedonians, villain to the Persians.

Both view are legitimate, and to take other and present it as objective is ridiculous.

The Persians tried to conquer Greece, so why should it be objectively wrong when ""Greece"" conquers them?

Anti Euro-Centrism is not Objectivism

>greeks want to revolt against him
>wants to make an example
>proceeds to burns down Thebes and sells the women and children into slavery so that the city-state never recovered
what a swell guy to remove those homolusters

Why is Veeky Forums so completely butthurt about John Green?

Yeah, the guy does dumbed down history. And he openly admits to it. His target audience is teenagers and people who have never studied history in depth. He literally says in his videos when he's oversimplifying, and that one should never form a worldview based on just one source.

How is she CLEARLY molded after him specifically?

Plz answer without autism

That was a retarded move tho

a. hes a cuck
b. he made a video about alexander without mentioning a single battle
c. see a.

I know these "what if" scenarios trigger most of you but if Memnon of Rhodes didn't die of a fever before reaching Athens with his Ionian/Persian fleet, would he have been able to rally enough city-states outside Sparta, Thebes, Corinth and his Athenian collaborators to start a revolt and with the help of his Persian allies defeat Alexander and ultimately throw out the Macedonian Barbarian invaders of pure Hellenistic lands?

Why would you want it without autism?

but that's wrong you fucking retard

From past experience whenever someone makes a claim that is supposedly clearly true, there's about a 5% chance they'll have an incredibly insightful and logical explanation for their claim that makes you think about the topic in a new way, and a 95% chance they'll scream some semi-coherent crap which I assume must make sense in their head

nope alex 2 strong

Alexander died before we had a chance to see what he could have done on the empire building front.

Then Hellas would have been enslaved to the persians.

Alexander for better or ill brought the world order the Persians and their predecessors crashing down.

How would that happen considering Greeks and Persians haven´t been at war with eachother since the Corinthian War and both parties held their end of the Peace of Antalcidas of not invading the other?

Philip, Alexander the Barbarian and the Macedonians were the ones that invaded and enslaved both sides, while ending the peace of the hellas.

>Alexander despised the persians

But he didn't. He thought highly of Persian kings (e.g. Cyrus) and admired Persian culture, so much so that he adopted many Persian customs.

Alexander was tutored by Aristotle, spoke Greek and slept with a copy of the Iliad under his bed. He was a Hellene, friend.

>Caesar

Portraits busts from the late Republic were pretty much "warts and all," and idealized age and experience. Busts we have of Caesar show this, though he was not blessed with too many warts.

Under Augustus, the trend changed, youth was emphasized, Augustus is always portrayed as a youth or young man in his prime.

Alexander loved Persian culture so much he murdered a good friend of his when he criticized that he's becoming too Persian.

his native language was almost certainly not greek

The Greeks and the Persians were hardly even at war during the Corinthian war, Artaxerxes II just realized how easily the Greeks could be bought off

People follow the success of a person, not the person

she's not modeled after him at all

wtf OP, he was almost a saint.

he did nothing unheard of and is extremely overrated

the point is no one else could be that overrated

Who the fuck is this John Green guy everyone is talking about? Is it the same John Green who writes shitty novels?

this
presentism is fucking cancer

It was like the Mongol Empire and Huns after all

Tbh Cleitus the Black deserved it, he started talking shit that no self-respecting man would have allowed.
He also left and then came back like twice to talk more shit.

Implying she isn't blatantly a female Henry Tudor

>Henry Tudor
Literally who?

When I read about Chaeronea, Tyre, and how Alex had one of his former friends tortured for political reasons. Oh, and when he killed another friend with a spear in a drunk rage (assuming those incidents happened). The Stone movie was such fucking dick-sucking. No negative side shown.

But then, the Persians fucking sucked too.

Woe to the vanquished fgt.

Back in those days no one cared about victims, the heroes were the victorious, who gained glory.

John Green isn't a historian, in fact his is awful at it. A true historian is able to immerse themselves so completely in the era they can understand their values were normal at the time and completely justifiable. Greencuck can't do this, instead he spends all his time whining about how people were mean according to 21 century standards like a useless faggot.

It's interesting how people forget that the Greeks were violent bipolar assholes who slaughtered each other almost as fast as they slaughtered everybody else. Basically, they went from "noble philosophy" to "nigga moment" at the drop of a hat.

I have no idea if this guy Green is worthwhile, but I disagree about the morality. I think that as long as the historian doesn't let his morality affect his ability to consider the past accurately, here'so nothing wrong with making moral judgements of the past based on modern standards. Indeed, we should judge. Our modern morality is simply superior to that of, say, the ancient Greeks. No need to pretend otherwise.

I don't remember Alexander leaving a successful and progressive society. Just one that collapsed almost immediately after his death.

The territory went to his generals, and those lands helped shaped the world for a long time.

Yeah and we aren't in those days anymore faggot

>Dunno why the sculptors made him look like a pretty boy in the other ones

Because the Greeks were big fans of the ephebe

>Macedonian Barbarian
Oxymoron.

THIS

He destroyed Zoroastrianism

Just Diogenes

people dont think he was the bad guy?

I don't.

That title goes to conquerors like Genghis Khan, whenever Alexander conquered something, he also left a lot of new constructions and culture behind of him, had he lived longer, he would've conquered Arabia and Europe, possibly even Africa, it certainly would've brought some culture and civilization to these savages, and produced iconic architectural works, but who knows what alternative course history would have taken in general.

Alexander most certainly wasn't a greek

>Alexander despised the persians

He was literally cosplaying as Cyrus the Great.

He also destroyed some of the most iconic sites of the Achaemenid empire

Wasn't Alexander getting progressively crazier over the years? I wonder if he really would have been seen in a more negative light had he had the chance to live a longer life.

>whenever Alexander conquered something, he also left a lot of new constructions and culture behind of him,

So did the Mongols. They also ushered in a period of unprecedented peace across Eurasia and encouraged trade and commerce between east and west, laying the foundation for the West's addiction to Chinese trade goods that in turn spurred on the Western age of discovery.

Ancient Macedonians were part of the many Hellenic tribes, therefore Alexander was definitely Greek.