Entry level philosophy books for a man with a mediocre IQ

Entry level philosophy books for a man with a mediocre IQ.

Other urls found in this thread:

ccru.net/swarm1/1_melt.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Introduction to Philosophy, 4th Edition by Perry, Bratman, Fischer.

Thanks

The Bible
The Quran
The Torah

I've read bits of the old testament and new testament, as well as much of the Quran. I don't see how this would be a good intro into philosophy though.

Had this book in both Intro courses I took. Highly recommend.

Epicurus and Confucius

Why cant people develop their own philosophy?
Their own view on life.

What makes you think they don't? There are very few people that follow their preferred philosophical school to the exact letter.

A touch of East and West. I like it.

Sophie's World

I just want to expand my knowledge.

Anything by Bertram Russel. He was tremendously smart but he writes clearly, without jargon, and in a way even a brainlet can understand.

I REALLY liked the Routledge Philosophy Guidebook series. They are very didactic, and, unlike the Cambridge companion meme, where each book is a bunch of articles by different professors jacking off, each book is written a single author.

Cool, thankyou.

Meditations by Marcus Aurelius. Just keep google nearby to understand some of the 5-dollar words.

walk into a brick n mortor book store and find one you like and buy the fucking thing, read it, then give it to someone else if the opportunity (y).

Arrises

>wants to start from scratch instead of developing from the shoulders of giants
why do you study history

Philosophy doesn't mean avademically what it means to a lay person. Philosophy is a framework consisting of a series of intellectual tools that are used to manipulate reality. It's basically what pompous assholes use to control you by convincing naive people that their senses and reason are deceptive and untrue because of 2deep4u reasons.

Read Copplestones history of philosophy. Its one of the best, maybe the biggest, its huuuuge.

Reason and Argument by Richard Feldman. You NEED this book. It should be mandatory for every academic to read desu because it's just superb in what it does, teaching reasoning, logic and how to analyse arguments in such a way that even a toddler will get it.

why not develop your own physics and biology while at it?

Right? I mean, don't let other people deceive with their bogus "science". They're trying to manipulate you man! Fight the power! Now pass me that joint...

Meltdown by Nick Land
ccru.net/swarm1/1_melt.htm

The first time I read it was a life changing event, like someone with actual intelligence dissected the Earth and saw past a lot of bullshit.

A bit heavy on cyberpunk lingo but ECCE HOMO

Speaking of Ecce Homo, Nietzsche's last book (Ecce Homo) is a masterpiece. He takes on the persona of someone with a warm heart and a melancholy soul. He directly tells the reader "This is what I wrote before and here is a simple explanation I am telling you, the reader, directly.".

Read it before anything else by Nietzsche. Only exception may be Beyond Good and Evil.

The enchirdion by Epictetus.

TO PHILOSOPHIZE, AND TO COMPREHEND PHILOSOPHICAL SYSTEMS, ONE NEEDS A PHILOSOPHICAL MIND; PHILOSOPHICAL INTELLIGENCE IS NOT QUANTIFIED BY "IQ" MEASUREMENTS.

This is it innit? Practical advice and no esoteric concepts. Pretty short.

>comparing hard sciences to soft sciences

LOL spotted the disgruntled unemployed philosophy major

Great...thanks for the input man.

There's nothing new under the sun, boyo. Only an idiot doesn't learn from people who came before.

Just for sheer ease of readability:
Enchiridion by Epictetus
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
Letter to Menoeceus and Vatican Sayings by Epicurus
Apology, Crito, and Phaedo by Plato
Nichomachean Ethics by Aristotle
Confessions by St. Augustine
Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding by David Hume
Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Lamentations, and Job in the Bible.

It's not so much philosophy proper as it is useful background. A lot of western philosophy is either directly responding to the bible or (indirectly) responding to people responding to the bible.

All of my arguments can be justified by quoting Aristotle or the Bible
>t. scholastics

Fuck you niggers
>t. early modern

Oh ok, fair enough. I'll probably give them a read.

>mediocre IQ.

The Bible yes. Not the Talmud or Koran. They have nothing to do with Western civilization.

Also read the NT.

check out Platos philosophys
and maybe the text book Archetypes of Wisdom

save this chart

Probably Hegel to be honest

Nice, never thought /pol/ would come in handy.

Yeah I'm not the brightest boy on the block.

when do you suppose physics became a study

The Pre-Socratics through the Egyptians.

When man first dropped a rock on the ground.

Plato is entry level

Descartes is quite easy too but its mostly shit

Pretty much. Decent introduction into stoic philosophy.

What? Philosophy isn't a hard or soft science.