Sardinia

How culturally, genetically, historically, and linguistically distinct were Sardinians from the rest of the lands that now make up Italy?

exact same

They were kings

Sardinia is CUTE
CUUUUUUTE

*Blocks your path

Which period are we talking about?

In general I guess.

If we have to nail a specific period say mid-19th century, around the time of the Italian Unification.

is this the same place?

Yes

Genetically they're a distinct population, but it's not like they're French transplants or anything. The Sardinian dialect is also deemed to be quite conservative (as in similar to Latin) from a lexical standpoint: e.g., they are the only Romance speakers who kept the Latin root "domus" for 'house'.

On a barely related note but I couldn't be fucked making an entire thread, why didn't they just exile Napoleon to Corsica after the loss to Russia and the VI Coalition? Let him be Emperor of that.

Corsica became French shortly after Napoleon's birth. Also letting him be in a position of power pretty much anywhere would be a mistake considering he was still able to escape from Elba

>Get BTFO by Ottomans

They spoke Sardinian which is very different from Italian, so during the early 20th century they had to force it in schools and it was a big shock in the interior villages where almost everyone spoke Sardinian, the kids were prohibited to speak it in school

Sardinia was never even touched by Ottomans aside from the occasional pirate raid, on the contrary some Ottoman ships off the coasts of the island were sunk by Sardinians

Bump for interest.

wuz

Such a fascinating island. Love from Germany!

Very different obviously since Sardinia wasn't reached until the age of exploration

Perhaps not even until the modern era,according to some historians. There are many that say no ship could reach the island until the age of steam.

in that city alghero in the northeast part of the island, the people there up until like 50 years ago spoke a variation of Catalan. It was a legacy of the Aragonese ownership of the island in the middle ages.

AJOOOOO

sardinian here
the original people that inhabitated alghero were deported, i don't know their fate sadly but they were replaced with catalans
no hard feelings, but the spanish were dicks with us

You mean Northwest

The original people were Pisans so who the fuck cares

interesting didn't know that
yea sorry i messed up

Most people who live there nowadays are of Sardinian descent anyway

>The citizens currently residing in Alghero, however, are mostly from the countries and surrounding territories, are poorly inclined to the use of Catalan, preferring especially the Italian language, Sardinian and Sassarese.

It's believed that some of the "sea peoples" the egyptians recorded were from this Island.

I think that's neat.

someone pull up that greentext

which greentext?
are there sardinians memes?
i must know

Yes, the Sherden of the sea, that also happened to be the only ones who made it as royal guards for the pharaoh and were also the most mentioned in Egyptian documents

They wuz Neolithic farmers n shiet.