Good historical dramas

What are some really good historical dramas Veeky Forums?

I'm primarily talking about western history, can be from antiquity onwards.

Adaptations of novels (e.g. War & Peace) are fine too.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5KCpKQTxMSM
youtube.com/watch?v=HmPYoKK1zXw
youtube.com/watch?v=mBr0sfFLoh0
youtube.com/watch?v=8so5DrwPLxA&t=9s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Hitler: The Rise of Evil (Yes I know it's a memey title)

It's got a few inaccuracies here and there, but it's a very good portrayal of Hitler, specifically showing how much of an autist he was who just wanted to kill (((normies))). Plus Robert Carlyle is based as fuck.

The whole thing is actually on Youtube as well.

youtube.com/watch?v=5KCpKQTxMSM

>Hitler: The Rise of Evil (Yes I know it's a memey title)
>actually recommending this

I don't want to watch World War 2 trash for goodness sake. Western history isn't just World War 2 and the fucking 1960s. I bet you're a leftist.

Zulu.
youtube.com/watch?v=HmPYoKK1zXw

Deadwood is pretty good

>I don't want to watch World War 2 trash for goodness sake. Western history isn't just World War 2 and the fucking 1960s. I bet you're a leftist.
>Recommend me history
>NO NOT THAT HISTORY, OTHER HISTORY REEEEEEEEEEEE

I liked that mini series myself.

Also for a fictional portrayal of Hitler's time as an artist check out Max.

All we ever get as far as historical films goes in the west is endless WW2 shit. For obvious reasons. It's propaganda.

>I bet you're a leftist.

get out of that board dude

Not him but it's a given if he thinks a Hitler drama-"documentary" called "the rise of evil" is actually good.

>Not him but it's a given if he thinks a Hitler drama-"documentary" called "the rise of evil" is actually good.

I'm the guy who posted it, and I'm not really a leftist, and though it's got a title that suggests its just propaganda, it actually to some degree makes you sympathise with Hitler, as it shows a lot of his problems being a social outcast and how it made him look for someone to hate (like a bullied kid looks for someone weaker to bully, in order to fit in). In some ways it even makes you feel kinda bad for him, especially the autistic sperging out around Geli Raubal.

It's not really about showing how evil he is desu, it's more about showing him as a flawed character, and how power quickly goes to someones head.

It's trash

Fantastic American Civil War film right here

I've seen it, it character assassinates him in the most ridiculous of ways (spitting out his food with his mouth open).

It's obvious Jewish propaganda.

It's the closest you're going to get to a biopic about Hitler so you have to take what you can get.

>Fall of the eagles

It's extremely underrated. The portrayal of the Kaiser and the Tsar was extremely interesting

The Austrian story line was a bit dry tho

What's the best War & Peace adaptation?

I like the way there's no clear good and evil characters. Bismarck initially comes off as jingoistic and self-serving but he does actually have the best interests of Germany at heart.

If it were made today you'd have clear goodies (Lenin) and baddies (Tsars Nicholas and Alexander).

This. Its surprisingly accurate.

Also, John Adams is pure kino

>It's obvious Jewish propaganda.

I think you wandered into a wrong board.

If somebody made a TV series called "Lenin/Stalin/Mao/Ho Chi Minh: The Rise of Evil", I'd say the same thing.

The fact you think it's just some default position everyone should hold to have bible-tier dichotomous moral positions because of muh 6 billion or whatever is proof of what a brainlet you are, nothing more.

Now move along.

Postmodernist/cultural relativist detected.

When I call you a faggot, you shouldn't take it personally, I was raised in a different time.

>If somebody made a TV series called "Lenin/Stalin/Mao/Ho Chi Minh: The Rise of Evil", I'd say the same thing.

Yeah the title is bad. But do you have any criticisms to lay against the actual film itself? Have you even watched it?

Yes, I have already been through this. It's just one one big character assassination (Hitler was a pervert who lusted after his niece, Hitler ate with his mouth open, Hitler was an unpopular nerd, Hitler didn't have a stellar WW1 war record and was unpopular among his soldiers) etc.

I'm the complete opposite. It's just that my moral standards aren't orientated around "was X historical figure nice to jews/blacks/gay people/chicano transgenders?"

>(Hitler was a pervert who lusted after his niece, Hitler ate with his mouth open, Hitler was an unpopular nerd, Hitler didn't have a stellar WW1 war record and was unpopular among his soldiers

how is any of this untrue?

>start a war that killed 70 million people
>let the shitskins break loose of the European empires
>allow the communists to assume global prominance and enslave 40% of the human population
>not evil
>mfw contrarians

Are you fucking serious?

- The story about his niece is pure conjecture.
- No proof (what the fuck?).
- Unpopular nerds don't lead mass national movements.
- Even his detractors acknowledge Hitler was an excellent and extremely brave Gefreiter.

Downton Abbey is quite good. It's about a noble British family in the early 20th century.

>>let the shitskins break loose of the European empires

This was going to happen anyway. Decolonization had been on the cards for decades and liberalism was slowly eating away at the willpower of Europeans with or without Hitler.

>allow the communists to assume global prominance and enslave 40% of the human population

Liberalism is worse than communism.

>- The story about his niece is pure conjecture.
why would mutiple people, including those in his circle, comment on his weirdo relationship with her otherwise? Who gives a shit about how he ate his food. His own commending officer didnt even realize he served under him in WW1, and the guy was obviously an outsider with no friends.

Its pretty obvious your some stormfag whos mad at something depicting Hitler as sort of pathetic instead of your meme idea of him as some aryan superman.

>Decolonization had been on the cards for decades

Because of German fucking shits.

>Liberalism is worse than communism
>mfw contrarians

>The story about his niece is pure conjecture.
I. Kershaw would disagree

>Unpopular nerds don't lead mass national movements.
They do, especially when they get an angry crowd at their disposal.

>Even his detractors acknowledge Hitler was an excellent and extremely brave Gefreiter
He was decent for a postman, but that's all. Leave "brave" and "excellent" for combat troops.

>No proof (what the fuck?).
Hitler's bad eating manners were reported by a few people. But it's tabloid-tier irrelevant and you obviously won't find serious sources on that.

>my moral standards aren't orientated around "was X historical figure nice to jews/blacks/gay people/chicano transgenders?"
What are you morals based on? Percieving everything you don't like as a Jewish conspiracy?

Amadeus
The king's speech
Zulu
Gettysburg
Glory
Rob roy
The great escape

I kinda liked the bbc version. It felt kinda rushed, but overall a 6/10. Soundtrack is bretty gud too.

>He was decent for a postman, but that's all. Leave "brave" and "excellent" for combat troops.
Confirmed for knowing nothing about what "postmen" had to go through in WW1. I don't think such postmen would get awarded Iron Crosses, Jude

Just finished watching that and it prompted me to come here. What are some redpilled sources for African history? I'm tired of the EBUL WHITE MAN bullshit. I want the real story.

I, Claudius

Aido Africa

It's not "redpilled" because it shows niggers being niggers but it because it recorded what happened after most of Africa became independent.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford and There Will Be Blood are my all time favorites.

Amadeus is a fucking great movie. If you're looking for historical accuracy, you'll be disappointed, but if you're looking for great performances, well-placed classical music, and an overall good way to spend an evening, I'd recommend it.

>Germany will be free of jews, or there will be no Germany
Wasn't it "Germany will be a great power, or there will be no Germany"

youtube.com/watch?v=mBr0sfFLoh0

Lol, that movie is total trash dude. Literally everyone who met Hitler in that period that Toland interviewed thought he was a great guy, who was funny and kind.

That movie is just comic book bad guy with shitty lines.

>CONCIOUSSNESS IS A JEWISH CONEPT

You can find hundreds of quotes where hitler cites his consiouss for a decision.

The true Hitler Kino is the one I linked. Old miniseries based on Speer's 'inside the third reich'.

It only has one token scene for the Jews. The Hitler actor is amazing.

youtube.com/watch?v=8so5DrwPLxA&t=9s

The Madness of King George, Glory, 12 Years A Slave, Downfall,
and Letters From Iwo Jima.

HBO's Rome is pretty good.
It's basically pic related with some Caesar on top.

J. Toland does agree. The story originated in a communist newspaper. Big grain of salt should be taken with that. Presenting it in the film as unambiguous is just slander at that point.

Berlin Alexanderplatz

>HBO Rome
>Three Kingdoms 2010
>Sharpe

>He was decent for a postman

WW1 "Postmen" had roles significantly more dangerous than the average combat soldier did, dumbass.

>Hitler's bad eating manners were reported by a few people.

Who?

Some great scenes in that show, too bad the HBO jews shoved it full of meaningless shitty sex scenes.

Thx user. I read the book, never knew there was a series made in the seventies!