>defeated the USA

These riceniggers are overpowered.

no frontlines

fight during the day, go home at night
rinse and repeat

Disease and humidity

>defeated the USA
Here we go

The "Secret" is that insurgencies are impossible to have big, bombastic victories against.

In the case of the USA for example the US won every major land engagement. Winning all the battles doesn't matter for shit if you give up and go home though.

Or rather, negotiate a ceasefire, withdraw saying mission accomplished, then ignore of when the NVA rolls over the south after you're gone.

Whatever secret they had, 3,500,000 of them died keeping it.

Result

North Vietnamese victory

Withdrawal of American-led forces from Indochina
Communist governments take power in South Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos
South Vietnam is annexed by North Vietnam

They do not give up. That's it. Raw determination. They consistently took something like 15:1 casualties against French and U.S. forces. They were fighting in horrendous conditions, against foes using the most cutting-edge technology in the world at the time. They lost almost every battle they engaged in, but won every war because their opponents perceived correctly that their willpower was stronger. Mad respect to them.

>t. grandson of South Vietnamese emigrants

It's just like one of my Japanese animeys

The only problem this people had was actually engaging in large scale battles. There should have been none!

The US tried to destroy the country to find the Vietnamese. They dropped more bombs and vegetation killer on one little place.

The VC and the regulars all hid among the populations or underground. They did not engage the strength of the military whenever weakest, and focused on demoralizing attacks against stationary targets and logistics.

Vietnamese military history is quite literally the edgiest shonen anime you can think of.

A peasant/warrior culture with historical experienceagainst foreigner, and their sense of patriotism. They see their homeland as a living thing that feeds them rice, sort of a hive mentality.

intermittent fasting + BORAD (Bowl Of Rice A Day) + all the rat meat you can catch = BOUNDLESS GAINS

their secret is 100% commitment to victory at any price, and the price was indeed extraordinarily high

US didn't give up. It got a treaty that the North violated every part of and invaded the south a few years later because communists can't be trusted.

>run away and then don't intervene when the north invades making the whole ware completely pointless

The've definitely got balls and determination, but the USA couldn't send troops north, so what was the point?

Hope it was worth it. 2 million Vietnamese dead just to turn a shithole into a communist shithole.

15:1?

3,500,000 to 58,000 is 15:1 to you?

Did you take any basic math courses, ever?

Am I the only one who paid attention to the VC generals who said not only did 3,500,000 Viets die, but that they were in conference after their failed Tet Offensive wondering if they could get any surrender concessions whatsoever?

North Vietnam >>>> South Vietnam

Imagine the Irish only with more dedication, more fighting skill and less moral distractions.

The only way to beat them is to literally level their country.
>You will kill 10 of our men, we will kill 1 of yours, and in the end it is you who will tire of it.

>Imagine the Irish only with more dedication, more fighting skill and less moral distractions.

????

Belligerent drunks with karate skills?

>The only way to beat them is to literally level their country.
thats what we did, it didn't work

more tonnage of bombs were dropped on North Vietnam than were used in ww2 by all sides combined

I mean you're fighting for your land and home right from an aggressive foreign force.

It turns out bombing doesn't win wars, you need ground troops to follow.

It definitely worked. The VC were just soulless insects that didn't care how many of their own people died. People like to talk about American war crimes but the VC executed entire villages for talking to American forces.

Vietnam wasn't a smoldering crater with no life by the end of the war, retard.
Literally leveling doesn't equal figuratively leveling. We laid waste to it and left it in ruins but it wasn't "leveled"

>The VC were soulless
>didn't care how many of their own people died
Seems like in the fight for freedom the ends justify the means.

they did defeat the french

literally captured their army

however, there's defeat, and then there's, "we keep logging on and the other side grows bored and moves on to another game"

They were the invaders though?

>Whatever secret they had, 3,500,000 of them died keeping it.

that might be part of the secret tho...

idk but a guy whos been in some wars once told me its not the elite troops or the generals that actualy win wars, its the guy that stands balls deep in mud and shit on a freezing tuesday and holds the fucking trench

now he was talking about a completely different war, but it does make sense in a way, the vietkong and whoever they were afiliated with had a fuckload of normal average humans on their side, each ready and willing, unto the end of ends to eat shit and die for their cause

or, to parafraze a afgan grafity - steel is nothing against faith

just read some frank herbert

It was their of their past experiences with imperialist invaders that pretty much told them not to fuck around with foreigners invading your country but resist and fight back.

Obviously we didn't curbstomp them because we didn't drop enough of these.

>parafrase
>grafity

Also no it isn't the soldier that wins or loses the war it's the nation that's sending him beans bullets and fresh meat.

sure but, he is the nation

vietnam is one nation regardless of the political partitions imposed
(though apparently north and south had been at each other's throats forever, kek.)

I can't recall the name of the book, but I read an autobiography of a Green Beret officer embedded with the Montagnards. Basically, they were an indigenous population in central Vietnam and the US ended up training and fighting alongside roughly 35,000 in the war. I mention this hoping maybe someone can jog my memory of who/what book I'm talking about.

Anyways, the author (Green Beret officer) ended up running the mathematics of casualty rates in the war. He determined that the NVA/VC were shitting out babies fast enough to keep up with their casualty rate. So he figured it really would have been an eternal war if allowed to go on long enough.

Because of this he tried his best to convince his command to change strategy. Or he didn't and he just wrote that to sound smart.

A million dead gooks doesn't matter if there are a million ready to take their place.

Now I'll dump a few photos from the winning side of the war.

>A Viet Cong guerrilla stands guard in the Mekong Delta. "You could find women like her almost everywhere during the war," said the photographer. "She was only 24 years old but had been widowed twice. Both her husbands were soldiers. I saw her as the embodiment of the ideal guerrilla woman, who'd made great sacrifices for her country."

Note that this picture was likely staged using ARVN POW's.

>Laotian guerrillas haul supplies by elephant and foot to NVA troops near Route 9 in southern Laos during South Vietnam's attempted interdiction of the trail. The invasion, Operation Lam Son 719, was intended to test ARVN's ability as U.S. support was winding down. It proved disastrous, with Southern troops fleeing in panic.

>NVA soldiers dash across open ground near strategic Highway 9 in southern Laos during Operation Lam Son 719, the South's failed attempt to cut the Ho Chi Minh Trail.

>A guerrilla in the Mekong Delta paddles through a mangrove forest defoliated by Agent Orange. The Americans denuded the landscape with chemicals to deny cover to the Viet Cong. The photographer was sickened by what he saw, since the Vietnamese regard mangrove forests as bountiful areas for agriculture and fishing.

>muh environment

>Militia members sort through the wreckage of a downed US Navy plane on the outskirts of Hanoi. This is likely the debris of the A-7C Corsair II flown by Lt. Stephen Owen Musselman, which was hit by SAMs just south of Hanoi while supporting a B-52 bombing mission on September 10, 1972. Lt. Musselman ejected from his aircraft before it crashed. He was MIA until March 1, 1978, when the Secretary of the Navy approved a Presumptive Finding of Death. On July 7, 1981, remains which were confirmed to be his were returned to the United States by the government of Vietnam.

>Guerillas guard an outpost on the Vietnam-Cambodia border protected by poisoned bamboo punji stakes. Sharpened then hardened with fire, punji stakes were often hidden where enemy soldiers would step on them.
>Such booby traps were meant to wound, not kill, because wounded soldiers slowed down their unit, and medevacs gave away its position.
>Such booby traps were meant to wound, not kill

This is a solid meme. Golden /k/ bait if you ever find yourself around those parts.

>parafraze a afgan grafity

Paraphrase an afghan graffiti.

Christ mate, learn how to spell.

>very fast north vietnamese communists running at incredible high speed

>Troops walk the Ho Chi Minh Trail in the Truong Son Mountains

Any recommendations for nam books that focus on the North Vietnamese instead of the Americans?

While the north did eventually win, they were animals. My father told me a story about how they kidnap village kids, hide behind them, and then fire through them at the marines.

>April 30, 1975
>Combat boots litter the road on the outskirts of Saigon, abandoned by ARVN soldiers who shed their uniforms to hide their status.

Honestly, I can't blame the ARVN too much. Like Iraq circa 2013-2014 soldiers were paid by a government they didn't care for led by a leader they were not loyal to fighting for a country they didn't believe in. That's not the military of a winner.

While not academic, nor strictly historical, The Sorrow of War by Bao Ninh is a good read.

From Enemy to Friend: A North Vietnamese Perspective on the War is still a good read, but is basically a 200 page interview with a commander in the NVA who was also a veteran of the French-Indochina war.

I can't offer something more substantial on the subject.

Hope it was worth the one million dead US and south koreans to be beaten by a bunch of rice farmers with outdated guns and no air support.

>lel we beat you
>you weren't allowed to step in my territory and rock my pathetic army, but I can still be smug despite doing the war equivalent of sucker punching somebody then hiding behind mommy's skirts

I am having a very hard time figuring out what the fuck you mean.

They beat you and chased you out of their own country, and they somehow hid behind "mommies skirt"? Who's skirt would that be? Also, how is waging guerilla war while being bombed with napalm and toxic gasses in any way "the war equivalent of sucker punching somebody"?

What do you even try to say? You think the Vietnamese won "unfairly" or something?

American causalities didn't even exceed 60,000

South vietnamese and south koreans are included since they also fought on the american side.

the south koreans number even less than the United States in their casualties

if you include civilian deaths on the part of the south Vietnamese combined with their military casualties you come to a figure for south vitenamese casualties that is still around half a million

>defeated chinese like a hundred times

Yeah and got occupied/founded/ruled by Chinese for over a millenia.

No, that guy got a number of two million, which is higher than the highest estimate, so I chose the highest estimate, which is one million.

Yes and so are RoC and PRC.

>yep just agent organging the entire environment is okay

it's laughable, since the US casualties are well accounted for

Ahhh yes "Vietnamization"

I'm no military expert but how quickly would the US have steamrolled the north if China wasn't breathing down their neck

If you used your eyes and whatever was left of your brain, you could have read its the entire south side of the war, including the south vietnamese and south korean casualties.

Unless you dont care about those and are just a cartoon tier villain, despite losing to an undersupplied army of rice farmers with the biggest and most advanced military in the world.

Anyway, theres no arguing against burgers because their thinking is too clouded by all the mountain dew.

Quickly

And then the US forces would have gotten nuked/WW3 in Europe.

"The mission is an 18 year old kid with a rifle. Everything else is support"

-380th

ah, this is the part where you turn into a cunt

well, fuck you then

About as fast as they did this time, ie not at all. If you wanted to steamroll them you'd have to resort to war crimes and not giving a fuck about US internal political opinions.

>Vietkong
>Parafraze
>Grafity

These spellings hurt my eyes.

Home advantage

Dude STOP RIGHT TF NOW

And still regain their independence. Unlike Tibet, Xinjiang, Inner Mongolia,Manchou.

>Overpowered
Held by China for a thousand years, by France for a hundred?

Lolno.

Jokes on you, I don't even drink mountain dew

>Be defeated by Vietgooks via attrition and failing to call bluff by Vietnam's allies- China, and USSR- that they will escalate the war like Korean 2.0
>HURDURR DEY STRONK
Anglos.

Want to know who really is Overpowered in Southeast Asia? Burma lel.
>Founded by a warrior people who seized the place from a bunch of Indian cunts.
>Raided Southern China for shits and giggles.
>Fought Mongols ON THE FIELD (not that lame ass naval bullshit where anyone can defeat mongs, like what Vietnam did) and won.
>Rek Thailand repeatedly that Thailand's first victory over the Burmese (pic related) is considered a national achievement (despite the fact that Spain, Japan, Portugal, and China helped them win it because Thailand was more economically crucial than Burma)
>Survived and repelled a massive Qing Chinese invasion.
They did all this without guerillashit. Shame their Junta turned them into a shithole.

That
Sounds
So
Familiar....

*Pyrrhic victory after victory.

Are you dumb?
The USA pulled out during a cease fire that was ment to lead to peace, the NVA invaded and the United states chose to not redeploy to the area due to domestic issues.
That is not beating the USA.

Everyone knew what was going to happen and the USA kept providing military aid to South Vietnam until congress caught on and flipped their shit

Thing is that the NVA and the VC did all of jack and shit to make the US leave.

The US military abandoned vietnam because of domestic protest, the actual insurgent and regular communist military forces of vietnam had sweet fucking nothing to do with it.

Yeah, I'm sure the domestic protest was completely unconnected to the imposition of the draft to find new guys to toss into the blender, or the television letting everyone know just how many civilians got napalm'd last night.

>Communists can't be trusted
>*Coups a south american country*

The war was unpopular because of the lengths America was pushed. This was because of the vietnamese, don't kid yourself. It was expensive, far too many americans died and the US forces turned to drugs and some war crimes.

do ppl realise who parrot the thing about K:D ratio that means the US commited genocide there?

they did the exact same thing like germans did in the east with partisans

>get attacked behind the lines
>burn the closest village
>execute its ppl

>the US commited genocide there?

It would genocide if communists were human.

Why is there a picture of Mr. Miyagi on their banknotes?

3.5mil+ is the highest estimate,

Haha, he looks so arrogant.

Why do chinks always try to look like fucking kung fu masters.

fucking asian americans.

>NVA and VC kill lots of american soldiers
>America seems to be gaining nothing for this
>Americans engage in domestic protest demanding an end to this war because the NVA and VC are killing lots of american soldiers for no apparent gain

>the NVA and VC did all of jack and shit to make the US leave
no, they killed a lot of americans for no apparent gain which made americans petition their government to end the conflict.

Not if Spain is around.

Contras pls go

t. Someone who has no clue what the ceasefire was.

>Spain
Filipinos > Viets then.

It's always the same story.
>nah nah we let them win you see
>we could have killed them ya know but we are nice haha

I hate communists probably even more than the contras ever did.

I'm French of Vietnamese descent. Thankfully my grandparents on both sides left Vietnam when Bảo Đại was deposed, they knew it was all going to go to shit sooner rather than later, and since they had been very connected with the French administration and were catholic (being catholic was a plus under Ngô Đình Diệm, but still) they thought they might be the first ones to get fucked if the commies took over.

My parents spent their childhood alternating between cheering on the Americans, and despairing about the damages done to their country they barely knew by communists and Americans. Then the war got bogged down, they lost all hope of ever coming back. Then the Americans left, the communists won. My parents still do their best to fight communist influence in the Vietnamese community here in France, though.

So while I was exaggerating when I say that I don't see communists as humans, I really have a hard time having empathy towards them. Especially because France gave up because of leftists getting in power, and America gave up because leftists had deeply corrupted their youths. I know the millions of people dead were my people, and I despair when I think of those caught in the crossfire, but I don't feel bad when I think of Việt Cộng fuckers getting napalmed

My parents refuse to at least go visit Vietnam. I'll probably go one day, though.

The draft was something people made a lot of noise about at the time, but the number of guys sent over wasn't that large.

All American overseas wars are expensive because the government has to ship troops and equipment to the conflict zone in question. Hence all the military bases overseas to help with the logistical difficulty of this.
50000 dead GIs compared to a few million dead viets over the course of the war is fucking nothing.

Vietnam was militarily incapable and the only thing that allowed them to win was domestic outrage over perceived unnecessary actions abroad.

Thanks for story time bro, i understand Why you feel that way

>superpower nearly collapses on itself because impoverished rice farmers aren't afraid to die
>run away
>promise aid to the cucks you left in power
>repeatedly cut aid
>"we won I swear"

I was actually just in Saigon, there is very little historical trace of the USA beyond museums and zippo lighters, but lots of French stuff. In terms of globalism, US cultural influence is actually minimal, you see lots of European and Japanese stuff, but nothing American beyond Coca Cola and Marlboro.

the avarage gook probably didnt even know what is communism
you disgusting fat amerishitstain