Existential Crisis Thread

Do you experience existential crises?
If so, how do you deal with them?
If not, why not?

Yolo

>The Way of the Samurai is found in death. When it comes to either/or, there is only the quick choice of death. It is not particularly difficult. Be determined and advance. To say that dying without reaching one's aim is to die a dog's death is the frivolous way of sophisticates. When pressed with the choice of life or death, it is not necessary to gain one's aim.

>We all want to live. And in large part we make our logic according to what we like. But not having attained our aim and continuing to live is cowardice. This is a thin dangerous line. To die without gaining one's aim is a dog's death and fanaticism. But there is no shame in this. This is the substance of the Way of the Samurai. If by setting one's heart right every morning and evening, one is able to live as though his body were already dead, he gains freedom in the Way. His whole life will be without blame, and he will succeed in his calling.

Is Depression a form of existential crisis?
>realizing life and every single one of it's pleasures, is not worth living for
>realizing death is the only escape from this purgatory
If it is, then I've been on that ride for a few years now.

They often go hand in hand. I found hedonism to be a wholly unsatisfactory mode of existence, so I've decided to pursue a higher ideal (a combination of Stoicism and Christianity) to alleviate my existential depression. Even if my philosophy is ultimately untrue, it gives me a sense of spiritual satisfaction that goes above and beyond the Epicurean approach

...Anonymous
03/27/17(Mon)23:47:00 No.2574884
No, depression is not a form of existential crisis, but can induce one.

I have often felt depressed, but I've only had, I think, one existential crisis, which funny enough did not entirely coincide with a period of depression, but they did overlap.

I think you're just feeling depressed OP. Check out Jordan Peterson's videos.

>Stoicism
Good choice user!
>Christianity
I'd like to learn more, any book recs?
Also, explain your hybrid. Never of heard of Stoicism+Christianity.

Neostoicism it's called. The two go hand in hand quite naturally because of their approach to the logos and a belief in the intrinsic worth of human beings.

As far as book recs go, I'm an Anglican so I would recommend books by people like Rowan Williams or Justin Welby. Dethroning Mammon is a good, short critique on the vulgar materialism of modern Western culture. As far as Stoicism goes, Enchiridion by Epictetus or Aurelius' self help book written to himself are good choices.

OP here, not currently experiencing one, was just curious about the experiences of others

I cant stop thinking about death and how scared I am of it. Its to the point where I cant even bring myself to kill a bug. The way I see it, we are essentially that same. The bug is just this one little thing on earth, but earth itself is just this one little spec in space.

Even when Im with my dog, all I think about is "hes going to die someday and its going to make you really sad"

It's cliche, but I've really come to see the merit in accepting Pascal's Wager. Ever since the Death of God, the Kierkegaardian problem of existence has been a central theme in our society, people will often devote themselves to worshiping a political ideology or material goods instead of a solid metaphysical and moral framework like Christianity. The advent of Instagram has caused people to begin worshiping their physical appearance to an extent not yet seen too

ITT: pseuds.

When nothing matters in the long run, everything matters in the present and the foreseeable future. Create your own meaning.

Noice!

>Never of heard of Stoicism+Christianity
It's called Eastern Orthodoxy. The ideal of the Christian saint is to achieve the Stoic apatheia, and they say Christ himself was apathetic.

Please stay! Enlighten us all with your infinite wisdom

If nothing matters, then it doesn't matter if you enjoy life or not. So choosing to enjoy it, is just as null ass deciding not to. I choose to enjoy life for no reason. It doesn't matter or mean anything to ask why, i do thereby i enjoy.

existential crises are for the vain and arrogant. it is not a crisis that you exist.

This.

Stop thinking you're a special person in anyway and you stop caring about "muh meaning of life".

hate to agree with an avatar-fag

What about survivor's guilt

>everyone who disagrees with MYYYYY world outlook is vain and arrogant

honestly, it really is like pottery. esp. considering the anime reaction image

Stoicism and Buddhist thought was my only remedy for depression/anxiety induced existentional crises

t. undeveloped edgy teenager brain who has yet to actually fully comprehend his mortality.

When you come out the other end you realise how silly the crisis was.
I had mine from as a teen. The trick is to kill your daemons with drugs and alcohol.
You're crisis might seem important, but you can reach a stage where the fact that you will end becomes liberating in a way. Millions of people have died before you, and Billions will after. It's not a big deal.

>oh man I'm gonna die one day, better completely shut down and develop a mental disorder instead of just living my life

>I'm NOT a narcissist because I'MMM having these thoughts!
I can shitpost too user, enjoy you're self induced hell because I'm sure you must be right.

How do you overcome the possibility of not existing somehow being worse than existing? It sounds like you haven't experienced one at all

Believe in God and you will find strength on Him.

Which God? There are so many!

nigga, that's circular reasoning

>It sounds like you haven't experienced one at all
You might have a point, let me explain mine and you can tell me if it was existential or religious.
Every time i went to bed, i would lay with my eyes closed and i would imagine Heaven, this lasted about a week and quickly turned into 7 years of Imagining hell. Not fire and brimstone, I felt intense pain during this time, sometimes all over sometimes locally, sometimes mentally. I would wake up covered in a cold sweat and screaming. After that it got worse, i imagined nothing, not blackness but literal nothing, the absence of thought, of being corporeal, when i would wake up i felt empty inside as though i had no bones or organs or blood.
During the day time i was practically catatonic, realising that the only thing worse than death is the idea of life after it. I was taken dark places for about 10 years everyday.

It's an entirely different category and does not warrant comparison with experience. No-experience is not equal to, greater than, or less than no-experience, so it doesn't matter that you will die. It's a false comparison

The One and True God that sent us Jesus Christ. Through a sincere belief on Him you will find true happiness

Double think. Trick yourself into believing both statements and set yourself free.

Tricking yourself into believing something it's not freedom. True freedom is understanding that any attempt to deny the greatness of the Creator and to try to give meaning to your own life is arrogant.

It's not like living forever would fix anything either

But I'm not a recovering drug addict or a desperate single mother, Jesus is for those kinds of people who crave magical emotional support, not a well adjusted normal person.

>implying freedom matters.
You're making a value statement about an argument against value statements.
But i also understand you are religious in someway so ok.

nice nice

>Create your own meaning.
How?

Shut up

Just b urself.

If everyone was a nihilist then we would have hell on earth. You can't be properly considered a nihilist because you're also a hedonist who indulges himself in drugs and alcohol, which means you enjoy material security

Jesus is for all people. Economically secure Western hedonists can choose to temporarily find spiritual fulfillment in things or political ideologies instead of God, but an ad hominem against people who experience hardship and turn to Christ does not discredit the Christian view

At no point did i say i was a nihilist, I just gave my view point on the subject. I also didn't say that everyone should have the same view point as me. I told you about were I arrived after my existential crisis.

If everyone had the same viewpoint as you society would collapse due to apathy. What makes it ok for you to have this lifestyle when it would be unsustainable for everyone to have it?