Why were these guys so culturally dominant

why were these guys so culturally dominant

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Italianism
cognomix.it/mappe-dei-cognomi-italiani/FERMI
cognomix.it/mappe-dei-cognomi-italiani/GATTI
mappadeicognomi.it/index.php?sur=de gattis&s=Genera
myheritage.com/research/record-10182-2126247/ida-de-gattis-in-biographical-summaries-of-notable-people
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Disciplined heavy infantry

Italians are just blessed to be amazing at almost everything.

Gabagoo and varsity athletics

Central position in the Mediterranean and well protected by the Alps.

Close enough to republics to pick up the practice

Basically proto-England

for a serious answer, a very privileged position in the center of the Mediterranean.

Their geography and positioning means that almost any trading of good or exchange of money is going through Italy, whether it's Genoa, Venice, or Naples.

Having control over regional trade, and as a side effect, influence over the exchange of ideas and cultures/customs, means that Italian influence is pervasive in regions that had economic business in the area.

pizza wine olives aqueducts

beg to differ being an italian myself we are the shittiest western european country and have shit history. even the fucking spanish accomplished something and all we ever did was circlejerk about a renaissance that was basically discovering old garbage

They're the result of either spanish or french or HRE banging

Right time at the right place

>shittiest western european country

You forgot there is portugal. Also france is so overrated.

>even the fucking spanish accomplished something

Spain accomplished jack shit compared to Italy aside from being a stronger military power (ruled by retarded inbred Austrians) and being able to take part in colonialism. Even the Age of Discovery was mostly thanks to Italians:

>ships used for it were based on the Venetian galleon
>Cardan suspension
>Amerigo Vespucci
>Colombo
>etc

I have a feeling you're a terrone with an inferiority complex who was ruled by them. Terronia has a shitty shameful history of constant subjugation, but the history of the northern and central city-states is based.

You have that latin american attitude
Every time I say something nice about a latam country on Veeky Forums somebody from there rushes to correct me

The Spanish monarchy funded the trips and material for the voyages as they were the only ones who had the interest and money for it. Not to mention the whole empire deal and literally defining half the world. I'd hardly brush aside Spanish accomplishments.

The north with the exception of Venice also got butt fucked by invaders as well. Remember Charles II's march on Rome?

>shameful
The people who gave you pizza and tarentella are shameful?

>well protected by the alps
This will hunt me in my nightmares

>The (((Spanish))) monarchy

You mean the retarded inbred Austrians?

>The people who gave you pizza and tarentella are shameful?

If those are their greatest accomplishments, then yes, they are a shame to us. They do nothing but pull the rest of the country down.

I'll try to condensate
>presence of the Church in Rome, meant huge libraries after the descent of irish monks
>policentrism (various power center) in a wealthy environment = cultural competion
>latin heritage, constant feel of a mission to restore the ancient cultural glory + architectural and artistic examples always present
>byzantine intellectual diaspora after 1453 + commerce with arabs = rediscovery of greek classics
>highest urbanisation level in europe

This list is not in order of importance and is surely not complete. History bachelor in Milan

I was referring to Isabella and her husband and the South has a lot of rich heritage.

>and the South has a lot of rich heritage

Yet the first thing you think of them are fucking pizza, mafia and tarantella. That's a bit contradictory, don't you think? The high culture of the peninsula is all from the north and center.

You have no idea how much I wish that fucking volcano would erupt in Naples again.

>Yet the first thing you think of them are fucking pizza, mafia and tarantella.

If you're a fucking plebeian who has a child's understanding of history. Yeah.

Near-absence of (natural) resources makes you inventive.

You were the one who mentioned pizza and tarantella, not me.

>food and shitty music

Wow, amazing contributions! Thanks Terronia.

Why do norths bully southerners like this? Why the fuck did you even unify if you hate each other?

Let's just say the difference between north and south Italy is like the difference between western and eastern Europe.

I brought up those things first because they were the things that defined contemporary Italy. The richness of South Italy cannot be understated either as that place has almost half of Italy's world heritage sites.

To add, many famous Italian Americans came from the South.

What is wrong with north Portugal?

Hating your countrymen because they're poor seems a bit dickish.

>Why the fuck did you even unify if you hate each other?
You have to realize that the found its way into the nascent Kingdom of Italy with a combination of fighting foreign empires, voting and diplomacy, while the south required a series of military operations between said Kingdom and the south, in which Garibaldi's men were astonished to find people dressed in sheepskin.

Now, imagine if you somehow could magically transplant a colony and its conquered people, and attach it onto the mainland of a seafaring kingdom, like attaching South Africa onto the British Isles, removing any geographical and political borders between them, and calling everything "Britain" or something.

Would you really think such "former South Africans" wouldn't be on the receiving end of any bullying?

The south is like that. They're a conquered people. They even voted more in favor of a monarchy than a republic after WW2.

>*the North found its way into the nascent Kingdom

Do you think people in the north and center are happy with terroni giving them a bad image outside? I suggest you take a look at this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Italianism

>Anti-Italianism in the United States resulted among some Americans in reaction to the period of large-scale Italian immigration beginning in the last part of the 19th century. Prior to that time, Italians, who had lived in North America from the beginning of the 17th century, were respected craftsmen, musicians, soldiers, merchants, missionaries, educators, artists and architects.

Guess why this happened. Hint: it has something to do with 85% of the Italian immigration in the US coming from the south;

Happened to literally anyone who wasn't anglo. Those same southerners who you call lazy ended up working hard to remove the discrimination and became one of the most respected ethnic groups here.

Fact: Most famous Italians here (Sinatra, Stallone, Al Pacino) came from the South.

>muh actors

How you mention someone actually fucking important, like Enrico Fermi, the father of the nuclear age? He wasn't from Terronia.

>Enrico Fermi
He was actually half terrone.
Regardless, it's obvious that most famous italian americans would be of southern origins given that almost all italian americans have southern origins. It's hardly indicative of any sort of superiority or inferiority given the numbers.

>culture doesn't have value
I'm not arguing that the South is superior but that it has worth.

>almost half of Italy's world heritage sites.
>15 out of 51
Try less than a third.

>it's another Polentone vs Terrone thread

I can't believe you guys actually fell for the north vs south meme perpetrated by that bald fuck.

Where are you getting this from? The surname of his father is typical of Emilia-Romagna and the surname of his mother is typical of Lombardia:

cognomix.it/mappe-dei-cognomi-italiani/FERMI
cognomix.it/mappe-dei-cognomi-italiani/GATTI

It looks like his family immigrated to Rome.

>implying we actually need to fall for it to partecipate
Internal shitflinging is Italy's #1 pastime. Better than football.
I remember heckling and being heckled for my origins since literally preschool. IRL we can do intervillage shit, but on the internet the only viable shitflinging contest is between regions.

Yeah Gatti is a typically northern surname, but Fermi's mother was born Ida De Gattis, not Gatti. Pretty big difference. Also she was born in Bari from barese parents, so yeah.

Hmm, I couldn't find "De Gattis" in that one, but it's not even present in the region she was born if that's true: mappadeicognomi.it/index.php?sur=de gattis&s=Genera

Multi word surnames never work on those sites. My family apparently doesn't exist in either site you posted, but believe me, there's at least 6 people with my surname alive that I know of. 3 if you don't count maiden names. That is unless my life is a lie and my family has been using a pseudonym in living memory.

Regardless, here have the first english source about it that I found on google, should be enough to convince you.
myheritage.com/research/record-10182-2126247/ida-de-gattis-in-biographical-summaries-of-notable-people

>this thread

kek

>we also produced some of the best planes
Of the 20s sure. But by the late 30s we totally dropped the ball airforce wise.

>spain accomplished jack shit to italy
pic related

>being nigger italian
from lazio so nah

hhahahahahhahaahaha
boy if this isn't true.

i have surnames in my family that originate from lombardy and siena, but i'm not from there, so logic invalid

Because they stole it all from the Greeks

Not when the perceived notion is that they are poor by choice.

>choice

k

That is because the only well known italian americans were mafia gangsters

t. autistic faggot

Center of the European/Mediterranean world. All trade, culture, etc pass through there. Wealth = ability, and the ideas of the renaissance could develop from this.

Similar reason the Hellenistic empires and later Eastern Rome was so rich at certain times, but they were the center of east and west.

Why must you Padania posters be so insufferable.

we only had a bad production level
>mc20x
>g55/56
>re2005
>p108
>p119
And other too,the list of good italian plane is long

>only northerners dislike terroni

no.

kill all shitcilians, calafricans and napulitans.

t. marche