Will the days of swords and forts make a comeback?

Will the days of swords and forts make a comeback?

Would it be possible for a world wide war to spark enough damage enough to eradicate guns and ammo?

The post petrol age will basically be a neo bronze age. My body is not ready.

You would need something like what happened in the Emberverse, something just making modern era tech stop working.

Not unless we run out of sulfur.

If we run out of materials for explosives, then we'll have some mad-max looking medieval warfare. Or just ww1 without guns.

I'd be down for a world where the most commonly used weapon is the humble crossbow.

No, you fucking idiot.
Even if for some reason gunpowder managed to magically disappear, we are on the way to having gauss rifles and cannons

And where we domesticate elks then ride into battle on them

BORING

I'll stick with some sort of pickup truck with things bolted on at either end, assuming we still have plentiful fuel.

At the very least we run out of cordite and then we return to the days of slow firing rifles

NO PETROL ALLOWED

Cordite is a composition, not a particular thing you run out of. It was only ever used by Brits and commonwealth nations. It also doesn't affect the rate of fire of a weapon, and I'm pretty sure cordite isn't even used anymore.

Honestly i dispise guns with a fashion.

not because of muh shootings or that bullshit, but it made anyone able to win.

as for the melee it's more about the technique and physical fitness of the warrior, some would take 10 arrows to fall down, some would sacrifice a hand to block an attack and make an opening.

it's just un-matchable.

Ik that, but cordite and mixtures/compounds alike we could run out of the shit to make them

Pro-tip: combat before firearms wasn't about muh-noble 1on1 combat either.

The best way to win is to fight with many against few, and that's what people have historically done.

This is bait right?

No

No

If we've run out of the shit that goes into making gunpowder - which is far less used and more common than, say, iron - you'd better believe we've also run out of the things that go into making swords.

a sword will last you a lifetime.
ammo wont.

Swords that are in constant use will absolutely not last you a lifetime. Unless, that is, you have some kind of secret that ancient quartermasters would have killed for.

To clarify - well maintained, exceptionally well-made swords may last a lifetime, it's not impossible. I don't know where you think all these post-apocalyptic master blacksmiths will come from though, or where they'll get the necessary metals to ply their trade in a world where things like sulfur have run out.

Actually swords would break constantly and for most of the medieval age were a sidearm at best.

Bring it

I didn't say you couldn't prevent them becoming blunt, just that they frequently do break if you're banging them against armor and shields.

>a sword will last you a lifetime.
what? Have you handled a knife before, let alone a sword?

Black powder is saltpeter, charcoal and sulfur.
If we no longer have the means to produce these three things, all life on earth will be long dead.

i'm a chef, it's literally my job.

Does the meat you cut up arrive to your kitchen wearing chainmail?

Guns are just Bows+.

Swords are still in use in the form of knives.

The real question is what would bring back spears.

Why would you want this? Why is crossbows and pikes better than guns and bombs?

Needing a longer reach than the post-apocalyptic weaboo with a katana who rode out thermonuclear war in his basement

Guns are crossbows+. Today crossbow can be still viable weapon, and bows are just useless.

I don't think that guns would be eliminated, but eventually ammo and the means to produce it could be lost to history, and guns would fall into disrepair. Much like the Roman aqueducts and walls, they would exist- but they would be rarely used and suffer from many problems.

>bows are just useless
Nonsense. /k/ love their bows and arrows and shit